8-10bit 16:10 IPS (or similar?) with Free/Adaptive-Sync?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    zerowalker

Hi,

As someone who don’t keep a good track on the monitor market I thought it best to ask about it here.
      Currently i got a Dell U2415 Monitor, which i quite like, which might serve as a reference on the quality perhaps.

Sadly though it lacks some things, one being true 8bit, another being Adaptive-Sync.
      And when i got the monitor Adaptive-Sync didn’t seem to even be a thing on 16:10 monitors.
      But now the years has gone by and perhaps there’s something that might have appeared that brings all the features i want.

So as the title say i would like true 8bit (but 10bit would be nice as well for some cases), 16:10 aspect ratio,
      at least 1920×1200, IPS (or if similar technology exists) and of course Adaptive-Sync.

A lot of requirements so i am not expecting a lot and it’s also a bit of an edge case.
      But I am hopefully surprised:)

Thanks!

PCM2

Hi zerowalker,

Much to the chagrin of some, the monitor market has largely moved away from the 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) resolution and 16:10 aspect ratio more generally. Is there any particular reason you aren’t comfortable moving to one of the readily available 27″ 2560 x 1440 (WQHD or 1440p) options? You gain both vertical and horizontal screen space and pixels. If it is a space constraint I could understand that, if it’s a strong preference for ‘what you’re used to’ (in terms of size and resolution) it might be worth considering the upgrade. It’s certainly something you can adapt to and once you do you might wonder how you ever coped with such a ‘restrictive’ smaller and lower resolution screen.

There are also ~24″ 2560 x 1440 options such as the Dell P2423D available, though that particular model lacks Adaptive-Sync. The AOC Q24P2Q would be a recent example of such a model with Adaptive-Sync. If you are particular about the 16:10 aspect ratio and simply don’t wish to deviate from that, there are very few options available with Adaptive-Sync support. The ASUS PA248QV would be your best bet, though it’s not a model I’ve received any feedback on. I suspect it would be a suitable ‘replacement’ to the U2415, however. Manufacturers don’t tend to specify whether a monitor is ‘true 8-bit’ or whether dithering is used and I’m not clear on the exact panels used here, so I can’t promise they are. With the U2415 (LG LM240WUA-SSA1) being 6-bit + FRC, did this cause any particular issues for you? If you definitely want to avoid that then that adds further weight to some of the 27″ options available, plenty of those are true 8-bit or 8-bit+.

EsaT

Don’t think there are any by modern standards gaming capable 16:10 variable refresh rate monitors.
          Marketing scammers downgraded monitors to 16:9 low screens with 1920×1200 replaced by 1920×1080 and 2560×1600 replaced by 2560×1440.
          What little 16:10 there have been released lately are productivity aimed and likely max 60Hz.
          (60Hz is bad for variable refresh rate)

Geizhals.eu site might have filters for seeing if there are any choices.

At least 2560×1440 would be upgrade for you.
          For me it would be downgrade and 3840×2160 is only not downgrade choice after 2560×1600.

PCM2

Not sure if the OP is following this thread as they never replied, but for the benefits of others another option has been unveiled in the form of the ASUS PA248CNV. This is again productivity-focused but supports a 75Hz refresh rate plus Adaptive-Sync and is basically a refreshed PA248QV with USB-C (with generous 90W PD).

scones

I just picked up a PA248QV because I saw them start to disappear from retailers and had my heart set on one, so I am pretty surprised to see there’s a refresh rolling out. I used this thread and the PCM PA278QV review (different I know but similar features and function) at length in my search and I am eternally grateful for the depth of content. In my case I do have a space limitation but wanted a little extra from the budget-office monitor I’ve always used. So far I’m having a lot of fun with the new display.

With the Asus refresh, is there still a chance for 16:10 monitors in the creator sphere or is it more of a last gasp of a niche segment? The online chatter I’ve read since starting my search has been that 16:10 is way past dead.

PCM2

Hi there scones,

I’m glad you found the PA278QV and the information on the forum helpful in guiding your purchase of the PA248QV. And that you’re enjoying your new monitor so far!

As I said in my initial post on the thread, the monitor market has mainly moved away from 16:10 in general, including ~24″ 1920 x 1200 models. But that’s not to say they’ve been abandoned completely. I expect to see further sporadic releases of such models, like the PA248CNV. There’s also the Dell P2423 which was just recently released – not to be confused with the P2423D which has a WQHD resolution. Whilst the demand for these models may be relatively low, it’s still there because it is just the right size, resolution and pixel density for some users (like yourself).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.