49″ Samsung vs 34″ Dell/Alienware

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Peter
      PCM2

Yes, you’re wrong. 😉

The C49G95T (Odyssey G9) is indeed larger and high resolution, but it uses a VA LCD panel. It doesn’t share the same pixel responsiveness, contrast or colour performance as the AW3423DWF which has a QD-OLED panel. If you’re viewing these monitors in a dark or even moderately dim room the difference to some would be considered “night and day” in favour of the Alienware due to it having ~5 million effective dimming zones rather than just 10. This allows the Alienware to deliver vastly superior luminance precision under both SDR and HDR. The more generous colour gamut, superior colour consistency and glossy (or close to glossy) screen surface also provides a more vibrant look overall. Furthermore, the Samsung has been plagued be a host of quality control issues which I won’t get into here but are documented extensively on Reddit.

The model that would be a more appropriate alternative to the Alienware with larger size and resolution is the Samsung Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC / S49CG95). That shares a larger version of its QD-OLED panel. This has yet to be thoroughly reviewed by the usual suspects and I don’t intend to review it myself (though I hope to review others using that panel in the future, preferably at a lower standard RRP). But user feedback is largely positive and in-line with the 34″ QD-OLED models, though there are a few firmware and usability complaints which are par for the course with Samsung monitors. It is of course vastly more expensive, a cut down version (S49CG93) without the ‘Smart TV’ features should be released at some point. I’d also recommend you consider the Dell Alienware AW3423DW instead of the ‘DWF’ – I go against the grain here, perhaps because I’m perhaps more thorough in my assessment of the G-SYNC module and what that can do for you. I still slightly prefer the G-SYNC model for reasons explored in this thread and I make my recommendation clear, but you’re likely to enjoy either model if you like what you see from reviews of the QD-OLEDs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.