34 – 35″ UltraWide or ~32″ 16:9 monitor

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    antrhax

Hallo, I’m from Austria and reading here since 2-3 months. Now I wanted to ask you, if you could help me regarding my future choices.
      I wanted to buy a 32”-35” monitor, cause it’s even more and a better experience while gaming. It’s also practicable if I have to learn (I’m becoming a professor, so I have to use a lot of pdfs, windows,…)

My preferences:
      .) G-Sync or Free-Sync is not important (I think the 1080 should handle this)
      .) 100hz minimum, more is always better 😛
      .) low response time / input lag

My current monitor is an Asus Vg248qe and currently I’m playing Cs:Go, PUBG, COD,…
      I’ve read, that the Samsung C34F791 would be a good one and it was my first choice, but then I found out that this monitor has a lower response time. After that I’ve searched and found this list of monitors for me:

34-35”:
      .) Asus XG35VQ
      .) Asus PG348Q
      .) Asus MX34VQ
      .) AOC AG352UCG or AG352QCX (= no G-Sync, but 200hz and cheaper)
      .) HP Omen X 35
      .) BenQ EX3501R
      .) Samsung C34F791

32”:
      .) AOC Agon AG322QCX
      .) MSI Optix AG32CQ (specs are looking really good for me)
      .) ViewSonic XG3240C
      .) Asus XG32VQ
      .) LG Electronics 32GK850G-B

As I said, I was reading here for 2-3 months and also compered the tests with other sites (also amazon).
      I’m completely confused and overwhelmed ☹
      BTW: Amazon is horrible.. it’s more like “I will choose this monitor… the amazon reviews are bad… ok next one”.

I’m really glad, if you could help me out 😊

Ps.: Sorry, if my English is not the best. Its only my “School-English”

PCM2

Hi antrhax and welcome (nearly called you anthrax – oops!)

Amazon reviews are always a tricky one and you certainly can’t put too much weight into negative comments there. Monitors are very subjective and there’s no perfect monitor. People are also far more likely to comment on something to complain and give negative feedback than to praise it and give positive feedback. Put that together and it’s easy to see a biased and negative picture emerge of a product, even though you yourself may absolutely love it.

Given the games you play and everything you said, I feel that you’d get more enjoyment out of one of the UltraWide models. I also agree that G-SYNC would be an addition that you wouldn’t get a lot of enjoyment out of and in many respects would be worthless to you – plus you’d be restricting your choices and paying over the odds. I think it’s helpful to help focus things by looking at the broad advantages and disadvantages of the 21:9 UltraWide models vs. the ~32″ 16:9 models. I’ve also re-named the thread with this theme in mind.

Advantages of the UltraWide models:

– The curve is more noticeable. Some of those models have a stronger curve on paper (1500R in the case of the C34F791), but the extra physical width makes it more noticeable and impactful. I say this in a good way. I still see it as a fairly subtle addition, but it draws you in a bit and adds to immersion better than on the 16:9 models.

– Alongside the larger width, the higher resolution provides more horizontal ‘real-estate’ on the screen.

– Lower ‘VA glow’ compared to the curved 31.5″ models. The LG 32GK850G is really good in this respect (it has a flat screen), but for whatever reason the curved 31.5″ VA models have higher levels of ‘VA glow’. It’s not extreme and not as bad as VA glow, but it’s a negative factor to consider. Obviously the PG348Q is an outlier here as it has an IPS panel. Refer to this post which gives a broad comparison between the VA and IPS UltraWide routes.

– 21:9 delivers a very nice experience in my view and is more widely supported than most people believe. For titles that don’t support it, you can just run with black borders at the side. Not ideal, but the image itself appears as a 27″ 2560 x 1440 model.

Advantages of the 16:9 models:

– More broad support for high refresh rate. 144Hz+ refresh rate is supported. For high resolution UltraWides, the upcoming LG 34GK950F is potentially very attractive due to its support of this refresh rate and its ‘Nano IPS’ technology (enhances colour gamut and hence vibrancy compared to current 3440 x 1440 IPS UltraWides).

– The curve is more subtle, for those who fear the curve (you shouldn’t).

– Resolution is less demanding and 16:9 is more widely supported than 21:9.

– Less desk space required.

So with all of this considered, I feel that you should go down the UltraWide route. I don’t rate the 35″ AUO MVA panels as highly as the 34″ Samsung SVA panels, so you can rule out the 35″ high resolution options. The only reason you’d want to go for one of those is if you specifically want G-SYNC. The AOC AG352UCG6 would be a good example there. Essentially the colour consistency, contrast (and to a minor degree screen surface) is better on the 34″ panels and there are less noticeable interlace pattern artifacts (refer to relevant reviews). The image is simply richer and it’s something keen eyed users such as myself appreciate. I’m not saying the 35″ options are bad, but I’m happily knocking products off your list here. In my view the final piece of the puzzle is that you mentioned you wanted low input lag. To me this leaves the ASUS MX34VQ as a very good option, and it’s also recommended as it happens. If you’re prepared to wait a bit, keep an eye out for the LG 34GK950F later this year – we’ll be reviewing that at some point, with any luck.

antrhax

Hey, wow great response!

Amazon is really confusing or “spooky” to me.

So for now you are saying, that I should choose a 34” model, than a 32” one. It’s not a space problem here, but I thought that maybe the 32” are “better”. That’s why I’ve listed them. BTW: The low input lag is mentioned, because it is importent for gaming isnt it?

If I want to have a G-Sync model, which one would you personally prefer or recommend? The other 34” monitors aren’t able to keep up with the Asus MX34VQ? Is that your point or is this monitor just as good as other ones (maybe “only” 1-3% better)? My only concerns: My current monitor is @144hz, would be 100hz a feelable downgrade for me?

With this in mind, I can abbreviate my list 😀

Thank you very much 😊!

Ps.: For the moment I was thinking about two “24inch ultra slim bezel” screens to get a big one (the whole game/movie on this two monitors), but I think it would be not that fantastic experience than a 34” one. What are you still using for the moment?

PCM2

That’s correct. I’d recommend trying one of the 34″ UltraWide models given your uses and preferences – they offer better image quality than the 35″ models. In particular I recommend the ASUS MX34VQ. The Samsung C34F791 is excellent in many respects, but you mentioned you wanted low input lag and that is an area that the ASUS is quite a bit stronger in.

You’re right to wonder about the downgrade in refresh rate, though. And the pixel responsiveness would be a downgrade as well. That’s a very important point, although it depends on your sensitivity to those things. I would advise running your VG248QE at 100Hz and seeing if you can adapt to it. Personally I am very sensitive to frame rate, tearing and stuttering. And the games I play can certainly strain even the GTX 1080 Ti at 2560 x 1440 or moreover 3440 x 1440. So I’d prefer the 144Hz refresh rate myself and also very much appreciate G-SYNC and strong pixel responsiveness.

I use the Dell S2716DG as my main gaming monitor, but I spend a lot more time these days simply using whatever monitor I’m reviewing. Which is why I haven’t upgraded it to something nicer. If this wasn’t the case and I actually got to use it a lot, the LG 32GK850G is a model I would happily upgrade it to. It fits my own preferences just fine – although ideally I like a bit of a higher pixel density. So the ASUS PG27UQ and similar models tick more of my boxes, but I wouldn’t pay the current retail price for one and believe more suitable and cheaper alternatives will reveal themselves.

I also enjoy the UltraWide experience and all else being equal would take one over a 16:9 model. I also prefer a somewhat wider colour gamut, so for me a suitable screen would actually be something like the LG 34GK950G (not yet released). The AOC AG352UCG6 is a capable and well-priced G-SYNC UltraWide that delivers a decent 120Hz experience. And I’ve received plenty of positive feedback from users who liked what they saw in our review and bought it. But I feel the upcoming LG alternative would suit me better, personally, as I would appreciate the richer colour output and superior pixel responsiveness. But these are just my preferences; everybody has their own.

antrhax

“So I’d prefer the 144Hz refresh rate myself and also very much appreciate G-SYNC and strong pixel responsiveness.”
              Only the LG Electronics 32GK850G-B fits into your personal choice than?
              My doubts are: Maybe the MX34VQ would be fine, but if G-Sync is a benefit or/and I want to use 120/144hz instead, than you would recommend the LG? I thought the 34” are better than the 32”? Now I’m confused 😀

The other monitors from my list will not fit into my preferences I see.. makes it a bit easier.

Thank you!

Edit: I´ve tested CsGo @100hz. The only difference I can see is, that it´s not as smooth as 144hz (mabye 5%?) and when I´m moving my mouse really fast, the view is a bit blurry, but overall it´s not that big impact to me as I thought. I don´t know, if I could see this on a different screen too :s

Edit2: Granted, that I´m looking for a 27-32″ monitor, will be there something better? I mean, REALLY better then the 34″ choices?

PCM2

The important thing is what might work well for you here, not what would work for me. You are going to have to decide what compromises you are prepared to make. I had a very important suggestion for you (try your current monitor at 100Hz) which will help you decide which path to take. You seemed to find 100Hz decent, so you’ve got your answer. And you might find going for something like the MX34VQ and seeing it for yourself the only way forward. Otherwise you’ll probably just remain confused and conflicted.

I’ve also suggested some alternatives already, including not yet released models. So it’s over to you. Hint: re-read the last paragraph of my previous post, which I’ve edited slightly for clarity. To be completely clear, I prefer the UltraWide 3440 x 1440 experience but do not find the current models quite hit the spot for me.

antrhax

So if I want the 34″, I should go for the MX34VQ. For a 32″ monitor I should buy the LG Electronics 32GK850G-B. @ 27″ th Dell S2716DG would be a good choice.

Finally: Asus 34 vs. LG 32 (yeah, my list has shrunken from 13 to 2 monitors, great progress haha)
                  Is there a articel about this two monitors compared or is there a clear winner now?

Did I get it?

A friend of mine says, that the Asus PG348Q should be the best for me, because its as good as the MX34VQ and better then the LG.

For me this means now: Asus MX34 vs. LG:
                  .) Asus 34″ with 100hz vs. LG with 144hz up to 165hz and G-Sync (LG cant handle the 165hz good as I read?!)
                  .) Wide 21:9 vs. Wide 16:9 (never saw 21:9, so I can´t say, that im prefering it)
                  .) Curved vs. Not curved (not the biggest point for me)
                  .) 146kwh vs. 80kwh (~twice as much for the Ausus)

Or: Asus MX34 vs. Asus PG348Q

PCM2

There isn’t a thread comparing the LG 32GK850G and ASUS MX34VQ, although I would highly advise reading both reviews so you fully understand the differences. Or at the very least looking at the conclusion sections of both. The differences are largely subtle except for:

– The screen size, curve and pixel density. The ASUS is larger horizontally, smaller vertically, has a curve and a superior pixel density.
                    – The LG is more responsive. Higher refresh rate (Hertz- not kilowatt hours as you mentioned above) and better pixel response time tuning.
                    – The LG supports G-SYNC.
                    – The ASUS has a marginally higher colour colour gamut (in some regions) and is tuned to ‘2.3’ gamma on average. So the image is slightly richer.
                    – The LG has a ‘text softening’ issue, although it’s not an issue for the majority of users and many don’t even notice it at all.

Your ‘friend’ who suggested the ASUS PG348Q. Does he own one or prefer IPS over VA? Has he actually used all of the monitors he’s comparing? I’ve already pointed you to resources (in particular this) which specifically compare the VA and IPS UltraWide routes. Anybody saying it is “better” is misguided, oversimplifying and showing simple bias. Equally anybody saying it is “worse” is doing the same. Apples and oranges. Do you prefer contrast, far less ‘glow’ and generally much better dark uniformity over more consistent colour reproduction? And how about the refresh rate advantage of the LG?

antrhax

I mean the Asus needs more energy “146kwh vs. 80kwh”.

I will read the other guides, thank you!

My friend is saying: “Only 200€ more and you can get the pg348q with gsync, because its a must have.”

I don’t see this like him..

Today I will test the 100hz and read the guides. Hopefully I can figure out, what monitor I need 😀

The LG has this “Blur or softening”, but if I “need” more than 100hz, I have to choose the LG, because it’s the only option than?!

Thank you 🙂

PCM2

I see regarding energy consumption. I thought you had mistyped the refresh rate of each model and were meaning Hz. Sorry about that. I’m not sure how you’ve calculated this, though. The ASUS XG32VQ has a typical power consumption of <43W and the LG 32GK850G has a typical power consumption of 55W.

If you really do feel that 100Hz is sufficient, then yes I feel the LG is the right choice. 🙂

antrhax

Asus mx34 says 100w and LG <55 yep. Don’t know if this is an important info when I’m choosing the right one for me 🙂

I will start reading after my appointment

PCM2

Ah yes, dunno why I quoted for you the XG32VQ value there. It’s been a long day already. 😉 . The MX34VQ’s power consumption indeed higher than the LG, but 100W is actually the maximum power consumption figure at full brightness with the Qi charger active on the ASUS. Most of the time you’ll be running it at a lower brightness and not using the Qi charger, the power consumption won’t be so high.

antrhax

I’ve read the Ips vs VA topic and the 1440p high refresh rate monitor. I´ve also read the recommended monitors. Funny, there is no Dell Alienware aw3418dw.

In a nutsehll:
                              VA: better dark, cheaper, native 100hz instead of oc 100hz (is there a feelable difference in general?), slower pixel

IPS: superior pixel responsiveness (VA sacrifices responsiveness), less overshoot, backlightbleed, ips glow

It seems, that the LG´s 144hz option is better than the 165. interesting.

Ps.: I cant see the overshoot here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si2MXhKB_k. Its your video post on youtube

Different question: Whats your apprenticeship? You know soooo much about monitors 🙂

PCM2

It isn’t funny that the Dell Alienware AW3418DW isn’t recommended. As always, there are good reasons for that.

You can’t feel the difference between 100Hz and 60Hz @ 100Hz (i.e. an overclock), but there are some potential issues which are explained in the post on that topic, which you’ve read.

Not sure why you came to the conclusion that the LG is better at 144Hz than 165Hz, that’s clearly not the case if you read the relevant section of the review or listen to that section of the video. Perhaps you misunderstood something, or I’m misunderstanding what you’re getting at there? And as I say, overshoot is something that sensitivity to varies. But if you did happen to find it bothersome, the ‘Faster’ response time setting of the LG would be a better bet and works quite nicely.

I am entirely self-educated when it comes to monitors. Just a passion of mine and something I’ve developed a lot of experience and carefully researched over the years. I am a scientist in the field of neuroscience “by trade” and do happen to work in animal vision. There’s some crossover with the monitor stuff and I certainly work with people who work are involved in display engineering and studying human vision more specifically.

antrhax

Ive tested my monitor @100hz… to be honest, I didnt see THAT difference between 144 and 100, so this is no argument for me anymore I think… With that in mind, the Asus should be the better option I guess.

@lg: On the photos, the 165 are looking not as good as the 144 or my eyes are just tired 🙁

Wow your education sounds really interesting. So you spend a lot of time into your hobby I see. NeuroScience sounds really hard!

PCM2

Be careful. Make sure you’re not comparing the final 3-picture column in each case. Because, at 165Hz, that shows the result with G-SYNC off and that is indeed slower. At any rate, don’t look too much into slight differences in the pursuit photographs as that’s just a slim range of transitions and any weaknesses are more obvious there than when gaming normally. The monitor does well at 165Hz when set up correctly and I feel the extra ‘connected feel’ and lower overall perceived blur (165fps content, ideally) is welcome. 🙂

antrhax

Oh ok, I read it wrong.

Ive tested pubg+csgo with my gtx1060 with ultra settings (soon I will get a 1080): @100hz:

CsGo: 200fps and feels normal… no difference to 100hz
                                      Pubg: 60-70fps and without 144hz, its lagging and stuttering (sometimes more, sometimes less), with 144hz and 60-70fps feels really better (but does it makes sense? because 70 fps is closer to 100hz instead of 144hz

PCM2

I assume you’re not using VSync. Tearing (and associated effects) is less noticeable at higher refresh rates, even if the frame rate is at the levels you’re talking about.

antrhax

No, with VSync, its reallz laggy!

So you think the 1080 will handle it? I can get the LG for 650€, Asus MX34 for 670€ and Asus PG34 for 865€.

I can’t find a review about the PG34.. has it also a low inputlag/responsetime?

PCM2

TFT Central has a good review of the PG348Q. It has low input lag and quite good pixel responsiveness.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.