32 inch 1440p high refresh IPS panel options

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Mhtrm

Hello,

I am new to this forum but gone through many topics to decide an open thread to hear your valuable opinions. No need to say appreciate your hard work, hopefully i was able to utilize your affiliate links when purchasing but not an option in my country.

I am in a search for a new monitor about 7-8 months. Indeed I used a viewsonic 3211 4K VA monitor for some time (approx. 1year) decided to with TV option, however it does not fit the bill for me and I need a seperate monitor to utilize my computer with TV option I dont bother powering on my computer. I was quite happy with my old decision, 32inch was fine enough (indeed my gpu was older as i was using it in 1080p res. but comboing with xbox one X). Due to graphical shortage I was not able to renew my gpu (things even got worse) and i am in still 1080p for computer use. However I want to invest at least QHD for future purposes. Also ultrawide is a viable option for me but in my country there is not much options that fits my need. When we come to this level of specification the choices are very limited for both 32″ and UW. However due to fair prices (at least compared to UW options) I would prefer 32″ options. My main aim to get a high refresh and IPS panel combo and screen size is my third precedence. There are only 4 options that matches these criterias ;

Asus PG329Q (1100$) not available currently
      MSI PS321QR (700$) is available and fairly priced
      M32Q (750$) possibly available in forthcoming weeks
      FI32Q (900$) available now

There is not much review nor panel information on these monitors. MSI model is in creator series so wider color coverage than other models and only 10bit panel on this comparison. I am not a color pro but it is nice to have this kind of plus. Generally MSI ticks most of the boxes however I dont find any other monitor that uses same panel, which I am suspicious about. There are very few reviews on this monitor as well that falls apart from gaming line.

On the other hand both gigabyte models using 8 bit sharp (?) panels like M27 models which causes good attention from this site and many other reviewers. Could not find detailed reviews for 32″ ones as they are new. M32 is an appealing option with better pricing and avoiding too much gamery from aorus model. But there is only one review (which is not english) about monitor. Anybody in this forum has experience about the mentioned models ? Also would like to hear your opinions about as well.

Sorry if i took so long or repetitive about any topic.

Best Regards

PCM2

Hi Mhtrm and welcome,

I’ve added links to our news pieces which we have on all models but the MSI. And I would also encourage a forum search of the MSI as it is covered elsewhere. I’m happy to have this thread stand and draw a few things together here. It’s good to have some focus on these models, specifically. Some key points:

– The ASUS PG329Q and MSI PS321QR feature the same AU Optronics AHVA panel with Quantum Dot backlight solution as the Acer XB323Q GP we reviewed. It’s a nice panel and has a very capable backlight. It’s not one for people who like a bit of extra vibrancy without strong oversaturation, though. It offers a very generous gamut extending beyond sRGB. There is an sRGB emulation mode available, certainly on the ASUS (brightness is locked). But in my experience some users would like some way between the sRGB and native gamut representation which can’t be properly achieved. I’d highly recommend reading this thread (compares ASUS and Acer models) and our review of the Acer to get an idea of what to expect from the panel and the capabilities of that. Although I don’t have a huge amount of feedback on the MSI, it would be very difficult to justify spending an extra $400 on the ASUS.

– The Gigabyte M32Q and FI32Q are based on Innolux AAS panels as per our news pieces, not Sharp panels. Hardware Unboxed just released a quite complimentary review on the M32Q, although they don’t cover everything we would (screen surface, ‘interlace pattern artifacts’, subjective experiences etc.) It seems to be a very capable panel in terms of responsiveness, which is backed up by other data I’ve seen. Tough to separate from the AUO panel in that respect and also in terms of contrast really. The colour gamut is significantly narrower but still extends some way beyond sRGB – so things look quite vibrant, but not as heavily oversaturated as on the ASUS, MSI (and Acer). Which look is preferred is very subjective.

– I believe the screen surface of the models with AUO panel is lighter. ‘Very light matte’ as described in our Acer review for the AUO models. ‘Light to very light matte’ for the Innolux basedf on images of the screens switched off and my experiences with other Innolux panels. I suspect the Innolux panel may be slightly granier and won’t preserve the clarity and vibrancy quite as well as the AUO panel, whilst glare handling is a bit better on the Innolux panel. Not a massive difference and I think both screen surfaces will be agreeable to most users.

– HDR capability is certainly superior with the AUO panel. 16-zone local dimming, more powerful backlight with higher peak luminance and a more suitable colour gamut for HDR. In my book there’s no contest in that respect.

– The Gigabyte models include ‘Eyesafe’ certification, which would enhance viewing comfort for some users by reducing energetic blue light output. There are many factors to consider when it comes to viewing comfort, though. The Quantum Dot solution has a balanced spectrum due to relatively high red and green energy, too. So it’s a tricky comparison to make in that respect.

– The FI32Q has a few features the M32Q doesn’t. These are mainly niche features which you probably aren’t interested in, but will appeal to some people. The construction is more ‘premium’, with a pretty hefty powder-coated metal stand. It has RGB LED lighting on the rear (can only be seen from behind, I consider it gimmicky). It includes an HLG mode which may be of interest to some for HDR content creation but of little interest to most. It includes ‘ESS Sabre HiFi’ to enhance audio quality for audio passed through the monitor. The M32Q features integrated speakers whereas the FI32Q doesn’t.

Given all of this it really depends on your preferences. In regions such as the US there would also be the question of how much of a premium you might be willing to pay if you favour a stronger HDR performance and wider colour gamut. To me the M32Q stands out in most regions due to its pricing, although for you it seems the MSI is the rather attractively priced option. I would certainly consider the above points and I don’t really think the MSI is ‘better’ than the similarly priced M32Q – it really depends what you want from the experience. I’ve got one heck of a review list, but would quite like to look at the M32Q myself at some point. I’m also eager to see it more widely available first as there are some models that have been on that list a lot longer and are easier for people to buy. 🙂

Edit: As noted in this thread, the ‘GX’ and ‘GP’ variants of the Acer are very similar aside from refresh rate. So many of the points made here apply to both.

BlackFive

I’ve been watching these newer 1440 32’s as a possible alternative to what I think I want in a panel (one of the hopefully soon to be released ‘reasonably priced’ 4k 144hz 32’s). I’ve also read you to say that 4k at 32 is pretty darn nice.

Thing is – I am trying to anticipate a fall-back position, in case the upcoming panels turn out to be too much of a compromise (whether price too high, or overly gaming centric with BGR pixels and fuzzy text) – how would you balance the compromise between the added real-estate of a 1440 32, but the pixel density of a HD 24 against the smaller size but tighter pixel pitch of 1440 at 27? In other words – if you can’t have 4k at 32… what’s the next best thing?

Current panel is a 16:10 HD 24, and I’m running a 3070 w/ 5600x and I need a decidedly mixed-use screen as it’s both for work and play.

PCM2

Far too subjective and something you’d have to decide for yourself. It depends if you’re happy with a fairly similar pixel density to your current screen and want maximum screen size, or want a boost in pixel density and moderate screen size boost horizontally and only very slightly vertically. Having a play with the screen sizes on Display Wars can be helpful to help you visualise the size differences. 🙂

Mhtrm

Thank you for clear explanation and comments. Highly appreciated. Below are my comments on various ideas

how would you balance the compromise between the added real-estate of a 1440 32

In my combined experience I used 4k-32 (60Hz-VA) monitor with 1080p resolution (desktop) , xbox one x (4K) and macbook pro (native). For current situation of 4k-32 you will be an early adopter and need to pay at least %50 more for these adoption (for higher refresh rates). Also I need to scale up when using with mac and when goes to sleep you need to rescale again (this may be subject with only my unit).But more importantly, you will need some distance from screen, to position your head-neck combination to comfortably view full screen area (viewing distance- which was 70-80 cm in my example) and in that range you need bigger punto to catch clarity you want. For movies and games this is not a problem but desktop/laptop use it was a point where I prefer towards 2K res. No need to say it is only subjective to my personal use.

For my monitor searching quest, I think my selection is mostly tied to panel choice. Luckily same day i posted this, HU has reviewed the unit at least give me some experience on the product. In terms of responsiveness/overshoot the unit seems acceptable. Same as the other models (except MSI) sRGB mode brightness is fixed on all models. Maybe this is outside of a panel selection but how can i understand from color terms without using respective model (in my country there is no try and send-back method , nor I can find these monitors on generic retailers). Should i experience this on my dummy monitor or only I can experience this on specific unit only ? I want to experience “a bit of extra vibrancy without strong oversaturation” or “8 bit vs 10 bit” can change viewing experience much.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your own experiences for the benefits of BlackFive, it’s certainly good to see and again highlights the subjectivity of all of this.

I agree that the M32Q is a pretty solid choice overall for the price. Our reviews go into great depth to subjectively explore the experience and the reason I do that (it’s not easy and is very time consuming) is because it gives you a fantastic idea of what to expect from the monitor. You should certainly spend some time watching our video reviews and reading some of our reviews to get a flavour for similar models to those you’re considering. For colour reproduction the XV282K KV we’ve just reviewed is largely similar to the M32Q as it uses quite a similar backlight. Compare that with the Acer XB323U GP with its much more generous gamut. There are also qualitative demonstrations of various aspects, including colour consistency and the impact of gamut on oversaturation using the SpyderCHECKR 24 system.

Whilst the guidance you’ll find in our reviews will certainly help paint an accurate picture of the monitor, nobody can decide if a monitor is right for you except you. Only you will know how you like colours to be represented, how important strong contrast is, whether grainy screen surfaces bother you, how sensitive you are to various elements of responsiveness etc. Part of this will come with experience, the rest involves a lot of careful contemplation whilst using materials on websites such as ours to help focus thoughts and ideas.

With respect to bit depth, that’s only important if you’re actually going to use it. For reference, the important aspects to focus on as a gamer are covered in our article on the topic and naturally covered in our reviews as well. Most content you consume (including games under SDR) is 8-bit content and it is not advantageous to have a greater bit depth. Where it does have an impact is under HDR or if you’re editing content yourself and using 10-bit colour. For HDR content the GPU is able to ‘fill in the gaps’ very effectively using dithering, which is something we cover in our reviews where it’s relevant. For editing content we’ll shortly have an article up which focuses on this and other aspects which are particularly relevant for colour-critical uses.

P.S. In the interest of fairness to the others I’ve pointed this out to, please avoid using the misleading term ‘2K’ to describe the 2560 x 1440 (WQHD or 1440p) resolution. Nothing personal, but I like people to use appropriate terminology here and feel it’s important to point this out. 🙂

sayhejcu

I find 32 inch 1440p options very expensive. Gigabyte’s 4k 32 inch FI32U will be $900-$1000 so I’d say wait for it. They said early July.

PCM2

Based on US pricing the M32Q is ~$500 so the FI32U would still come at a significant premium. If it’s comfortably affordable then I agree you get a lot more for your money and the relative value on offer there is amazing. If it does indeed end up hitting that price point – given the FI32Q has an RRP of $800 USD (can be found for closer to $700) that really makes the ‘U’ model stand out.

Mhtrm

What are your priorities let you choose FI32 over M32 ? I personally did not convinced to pay that difference, just wondering what catches your attention ?

PCM2

I assume you’re referring to the FI32Q compared to the M32Q. And I covered this in my first post. Same panel, similar core performance expected and a few feature and design differences.

Mhtrm

Sorry, I thought the other user has chosen FI32Q over M32Q (not seen that it was 32U), that is why i asked my mistake. Indeed I already read your comments and evaluated them.

Gigabyte’s 4k 32 inch FI32U will be $900-$1000 so I’d say wait for it.

Ovi

I would also add the LG 32GP850 to consider. I have the 27″ version and I assume it’s very much the same except for the size? I can’t say how it might compare to those Gigabyte models or that it would be better but it is one to think about perhaps.

PCM2

Hi Ovi,

I appreciate you sharing your suggestion (and also your feedback on the 27″ model). Although price and availability can make it less appealing in some markets, I’d certainly consider the 32GP850 as well. I haven’t received any direct feedback on and it’s difficult to find trustworthy reviews of it. LG shot themselves in the foot in that respect and they’re really rather useless for independent reviewers here in the UK as well. But it should indeed be similar in many ways to its 27″ counterpart which you’re enjoying. An interesting thing about the LG is that its Nano IPS panel (~98% DCI-P3 – gamut like this) would provide greater overall vibrancy and stronger saturation than the Gigabyte models (~90% DCI-P3 – gamut like this). But less so than the more extreme vibrancy of those models using the AUO panel (~160% sRGB – gamut like this). It’s a middle ground that some would certainly enjoy.

PCM2

Hardware Unboxed’s video review of the 32GP850 has finally been published, following the whole LG saga. It is essentially similar to the 27″ model and suffers from sub-par contrast (856:1 measured vs. 1104:1 for the M32Q). The M32Q also offers a somewhat better high refresh performance, with more aggressive pixel response tuning with its optimal response time setting at 144Hz+ (‘Balance’ on Gigabyte vs. ‘Fast’ on LG). Although the LG can provide lower overshoot with decent responsiveness for slightly lower refresh rates (e.g. 100Hz and 120Hz) using its ‘Fast’ setting. I don’t think most users would take issue with the responsiveness of either model. 🙂

PCM2

Just to add that Korean publication Quasar Zone has confirmed that the FI32Q includes an edge-lit arrangement of 8 dimming zones for use under HDR. This won’t provide a spectacular experience of course, but it’s still enough to provide a situational edge in contrast that can work quite nicely for some scenes. I’m not sure whether it’s a feature associated with the panel itself so might be seen on the M32Q or upcoming XB323QU NV as well. For reference the Acer XV282K KV has this sort of 8-zone dimming arrangement and also uses one of the new generation Innolux panels.

PCM2

Some further reading relevant to this thread:

This thread includes some useful feedback on the Acer XB323 GX.

This post and my reply to it reinforces this feedback, with some additional thoughts on the LG 32GP850.

– News pieces on the Acer XV322QU P and MSI MAG321QR, which are based on a BOE IPS-ADS panel not used in the other models listed on this thread. No feedback on these ones currently. In my experience BOE panels tend to have slightly weak colour consistency for IPS-type panels and slightly grainy screen surfaces, but this is a generalisation and may not apply to these particular models.

Based on all this, my recommendation for the Acer XB323U GP and XB323U GX remains, if you have the budget. Otherwise I’d consider the Gigabyte M32Q due to its convincing all-round performance. Including decent contrast for the panel type and no specific reports of much higher than expected ‘IPS glow’ (something I can’t say about the 32GP850). A decent colour gamut for quite vibrant but not heavily oversaturated SDR output and good all-round responsiveness, as covered earlier in the thread.

PCM2

Another option enters the foray in the form of the Corsair XENEON 32QHD165. This model is based around the same AUO panel as the Acer XB323U GP and ASUS PG329Q. It is currently priced at the same level, which in my view is above where it should be given it is only a VESA DisplayHDR 400 level display. I drew the following comparison with the Acer in the review of the Corsair as there are still some redeeming features here:

“The 32QHD165 rubs up against the Acer XB323U GP when it comes to price. They’re based around the same panel, but the Acer has a more powerful backlight with local dimming. Providing a far more accomplished and dynamic HDR experience, at the VESA DisplayHDR 600 rather than 400 level. That will make the Acer the clearly more compelling choice for those interested in the HDR side of things. The Corsair’s solid stand, strobe backlight mode, USB-C connectivity and FreeSync via HDMI could sway some the other way, though. A range of cheaper IPS alternatives [they’re covered in this thread] are also available that share the ~32” screen size and WQHD resolution, though lack a colour gamut quite this generous.”

I hope to see the price reduce from the initial $800. I actually started reviewing the monitor and preparing for the review before I learnt of the price. And I would’ve expected a price closer to $600 and feel that would be more reasonable. Another slight difference between the Acer and Corsair that I highlight in the written review (but didn’t reiterate in the conclusion) is that the Acer’s overdrive is slightly more aggressive with its optimal ‘Normal’ setting (or with Adaptive-Sync active) than the Corsair using its optimal ‘Fast’ setting. This does speed up pixel responses a bit, cuts down on some of the ‘powdery’ trailing slightly and adds some overshoot. But I wouldn’t say the difference is dramatic and the Corsair does offer a very low-overshoot experience at 165Hz using my preferred ‘Fast’ setting. I know Hardware Unboxed preferred the ‘Fastest’ setting here on the Corsair, but you can see from the pursuit photographs that overshoot levels are moderately strong with that. And for some transitions I came across when gaming there was some more extreme ‘halo’ trailing than illustrated there.

wanderer256

Hello,

Is there any information or opinions regarding Gigabyte Aorus FI32Q-X monitor? Is it based on Innolux panel?

PCM2

TFT Central recently published a review of the FI32Q-X. As our news piece always said, it’s based on an AUO panel (M320DAN02.0). It’s basically Gigabyte’s version of the Acer XB323U GX, a model we recommend. A few points of comparison to note:

– The Gigabyte offers its ‘Aim Stabilizer Sync’ strobe backlight mode that can be used alongside Adaptive-Sync, but it has a locked rather high brightness and I wouldn’t say it’s great in terms of strobe crosstalk. The Acer doesn’t have a strobe backlight setting.

– I’d say the Acer is better tuned for a solid high refresh rate experience, some way between the ‘Balance’ and ‘Speed’ settings of the Gigabyte – but without the strong overshoot of Gigabyte’s ‘Speed’ setting. At lower refresh rates they’re pretty similar by the looks of things, perhaps at 144Hz+ the Acer would still have an edge in speed but a bit more overshoot.

– I know the Acer has a relatively good HDR implementation and dimming algorithm, despite the low number of zones. I’m not sure exactly how the Gigabyte would compare in that respect, but it looks to be rather gentle and less effective overall from TFT Central’s testing.

– The Gigabyte offers HDMI 2.1 and accepts a 120Hz ‘4K’ UHD signal (downsampling) which console users might appreciate.

PCM2

A few models to add to this thread, just for reference. There’s the Dell G3223D which is based on the LG Display LM315WQ1, as with the LG 32GP850 discussed upthread. There’s also the HP X32, which interchangeably uses the LM315WQ1 and the BOE MV315QHM-N50. I don’t have any feedback to share on these models at this stage, but based on the LG model you can expect pretty good responsiveness and colour reproduction plus mediocre contrast and moderately strong ‘IPS glow’. With this in mind I’d still likely side with the Gigabyte M32Q (which is currently recommended, too), but I appreciate there are certain design elements or features that could sway people one way or the other. And local pricing is going to still be a key consideration.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.