~32″ ‘4K’ UHD vs 27″ 1440p vs. ~32″ 1440p

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

Whilst some of the content our reviews contain are quite product-specific, a lot of it applies more broadly. A good example of this is the ‘experience’ section contained on some reviews which explores aspects such as the screen size, resolution and curve and how that can influence the viewing experience. The image below is taken from our review of the ASUS PG32UQX, showing it beside the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-X. So 32″ ‘4K’ UHD (3840 x 2160) vs. 27″ QHD or 1440p (2560 x 1440). The image doesn’t give you an appreciation of the pixel density, which is noticeably superior for the UHD model (137.68 vs. 108.79 PPI). As explored in the linked section of the review, this invites a good dose of extra detail and clarity to text and suitably high resolution image content (including games). But it does give you an idea of the relative size difference between a 27″ 16:9 screen and 32″ 16:9 screen, whilst also giving an indication of the level of ‘desktop real-estate’ and multi-tasking potential offered by both solutions. 27″ QHD is good in that respect, but 32″ ‘4K’ has a lot of extra potential.

PG32UQX vs FI27Q X (32″ ‘4K’ UHD vs 27″ QHD)

The image below is taken from our review of the Corsair XENOEN 32QHD165. Showing this 32″ QHD model beside the 27″ QHD Gigabyte. This again highlights the size difference and gives an idea of the relative size of elements on each screen without scaling being employed. Again, you can’t appreciate the pixel density differences from the image – but they’re explored in the review. As noted there: “a 2560 x 1440 (QHD) resolution and 32” screen size, yielding a pixel density of 91.79 PPI (Pixels Per Inch). This is vastly lower than a 32” ‘4K’ UHD model (163.18 PPI) and somewhat lower than a 27” QHD model (108.79 PPI). This means the potential clarity and detail isn’t as high as these tighter pixel densities, with the gap between this screen and a UHD screen of a similar size being particularly large. The pixel density of this model is similar to a 24” Full HD model, though, which is a level many are quite comfortable with. Whilst it won’t match the sharpness or clarity and detail potential of a significantly tighter pixel density, it’s by no means a poor pixel density. It’s a level which many users are quite comfortable with.”

32QHD165 vs FI27Q X (32″ QHD vs 27″ QHD)

Both pieces also stress that we found the larger screen size very pleasant in terms of the immersion it offered from our preferred viewing distance (70cm- 80cm typically), without feeling overwhelming. And gives you good flexibility to sit a bit further back from the screen without it feeling as small as a 27″ screen would. Screen size and how people find it from a given viewing distance is a very personal thing, however. When I first used 32″ screens I found them to be pretty huge and at first slightly overwhelming, but I found I readily adapted. Now I think very little of it when I use a screen of this size. Likewise, I will find 27″ noticeably diminutive if I’ve come from a 32″, but I’ll soon get more used to it. It’ll still feel smaller in comparison, but not to the extent it did when first switching.

zeedog

Long time reader, today finally decided to register.

So yesterday received gigabyte m32q monitor. I will be using it as my primary screen mainly for office work and some occasional gaming. Previously I was using dell 2518d as my main monitor, from today I will give this monitor to my girlfriend for her stuff.

Some initial impressions about gigabyte monitor after one day usage:

– This is very personal but in my eyes stand is horrible. I mean from the size and aesthetics point of view. My table is 160×80 cm, so not a small one but stand takes a lot of space on that table. Also the shape of it is strange, I would think different shape would end into smaller footprint. Nevertheless it does the function, is sturdy and robust but I do not believe anybody above 30 years old would want to show this monitor with this stand to his friends 🙂 I will change it to different one.

– Lower pixel density is noticeable. As I said I was using Dell 2518D which is 25 inches with the same resolution as M32Q and Windows OS in general looks sharper on Dell screen. I notice the difference. I would say this what you can accept and is also very personal. In my case software which I use on daily base does not scale that well on 4k so paying additional 200€ is a trade-off that I am willing to accept.

– I am using Lenovo docking station and with hdmi connection 1/3 of the screen is flickering and tearing constantly. Changed to DP and issue is gone. My gut feeling says this is more of a problem of my docking station though with Dell did not have this issue. Did not explore in more details what is causing this problem. Also I connected M32Q monitor USB input port to docking station to have USB hub on it but if I turn off monitor completely and start PC once again USB hub on monitor does not work. I need to reconnect physically USB cable to solve this issue. I would say this is a bit annoying as I am using wireless keyboard and mouse that have their own usb dongles and it is quite neat visually to hide these dongles somewhere on my monitor. Once again this could be docking station issue but on Dell I did not have this problem.

– If I compare M32Q screen to my Dell I feel colours on gigabyte has some yellowish tint. It is very subtle but I think I see it. Of course this could be in my head and as I do not have any professional colour accuracy equipment I am not sure about this. But in my personal opinion colours on Dell look slightly more natural and more true or maybe I am used to that colour scheme much more.

-Power LED constantly blinks when my PC is turned off. I do not know how to turn it off. Ok, I can turn off monitor completely but why it does not turn off after some time I do not know. Once again I am comparing to Dell but this monitor turns off after some time. I am nitpicking here but that LED is very bright and if you have this monitor in your sleeping room you could get annoyed. Also in this period of time you would ask why not to save some power? Maybe there is some setting in OSD but did not explore in details yet..

In general I am quite happy with it though it is not perfect. But in this business it is always a trade-off. Personally I do not feel confident of paying additional 200-300 euros for some slight improvements and for major improvements I would need to go into 4 digits zone which I feel is outrageous for the monitor.

If would need to rate picture quality of M32Q I would give 7 from 10 where to Dell 2518D I would give 8 and to my TV Samsung Q85R I would give 9.

PCM2

Hi zeedog,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the M32Q and adding an interesting angle to this thread with some thoughts on pixel density compared to the U2518D. The comparison there is between the 117.49 PPI of the 25″ QHD Dell and 93.24 PPI of the 31.5″ QHD Gigabyte. With respect to colour temperature differences, you could have become used to the Dell which could potentially be set to a significantly cooler white point. So unless it’s calibrated, it’s best not to use that as a reference – and you stated it isn’t. You can adjust the colour channels of the Gigabyte, specifically reducing the red channel a bit and also reducing the green channel a little less and this may offset the warm yellowish cast you may be observing. The backlight is spectrally very different to the Dell, too, so even if they’re calibrated to the same white point some natural variance can be expected. The docking station is almost certainly causing flickering issues – the bandwidth requirements for the Gigabyte are much higher than for the Dell and likely beyond its capabilities.

I agree with you completely about the stand – I’m not a fan of it either. The first model I used with the same design was the G32QC and I made a bit of a fuss about it in that review. It’s basic, it gets the job done – but the base seems obnoxiously sized and being rather hollow-feeling plastic hardly adds a premium feel to the screen. The G32QC I reviewed also had a broken stand attachment point, which didn’t really help the overall feel of solidity. 😉 I agree with your thoughts on the M32Q still being a relatively good value for money proposition – it’s one of the most attractively priced models with the feature set. Compared to the U2518D it has advantages in terms of having a more generous colour gamut, potentially improved viewing comfort (Eyesafe certified with less energetic blue peak), it’s much larger and has a significantly higher refresh rate with superior pixel responsiveness. It’s priced very well all things considered. I still regard the U2518D as a nice 60Hz screen, though – and I do personally enjoy that tighter pixel density as well. I’d actually quite like to see high refresh rate gaming monitors with that size and resolution but the panel manufacturers don’t seem interested. The experience isn’t dramatically different to a 27″ QHD screen, I suppose, and there are plenty of those available.

phie

Just for info: In the meanwhile I received the XB273U GX and I compared it to the XB323U GP. Actually, the overall picture quality is exactly the same and I (my friend too!) do find the sharpness of the 32 inch comparable with the 27 inch, of course the text is sharper on the 27 inch. Anyway I would never go back to a smaller monitor, 32 inch is such a wonderful immersive experience and the Windows UI is finally big enough (again)!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.