32 “(16: 9) WQHD monitor max 75 Hz IPS (non-curved)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    senzaparole

I tryed a 34 “(21: 9) monitor and a 32” (16: 9) monitor and I must say I prefer the 32 “(16: 9) monitor.
      Which 32 “WQHD (1440p) model can you recommend to me? The viewing distance is about 80cm so maybe I can save money compared to a 32” 2160p. Do you agree?
      I am a casual gamer so I am also happy with a refresh rate of 60/75 Hz better if with freesync. IPS monitor, non curved.

I would have identified these models:

Benq EW3280U if a 4K 32 “monitor is absolutely recommended for the viewing distance of 80 cm.

or:

PROLITE XB3270QS-B1

VX3276-2K-mhd

Lenovo D32q-20

32QK500-C

Q32P2

q32e2n

the lenovo and AOC Q32E2N seems very nice to me …

PCM2

From 80cm you could certainly still make use of a ~32″ ‘4K’ screen like the EW3280U. There are no absolute recommendations when it comes to monitors. You will likely want to use some scaling, but even if you do you will most likely still be able to see benefits of the higher pixel density in terms of clarity and detail. Furthermore, the monitor has a significantly broader colour gamut and smoother and lighter matte screen surface than the WQHD options you identify. The colour consistency of the panel is a bit stronger than the BOE IPS-ADS panel used on most if not all of the models you identify. You may find the 2560 x 1440 (WQHD) model perfectly adequate, though, you may not be all that sensitive to screen surface and you may enjoy the 75Hz refresh rate and the broad gamut of the BenQ might even be unappealing to you.

As for the models you’ve highlighted I have very limited feedback on them. One thing I am aware of, though, is that the VX3276-2K-mhd is a 60Hz monitor at its native resolution. It only runs at 75Hz reliably at 1280 x 1024 and below. I have received some positive feedback on the Q32E2N which I recommended to a user after they enjoyed the sound of the older Q3279VWFD8 we reviewed. It’s basically a newer version of that, based around a similar panel that’s instead fitted with a standard gamut backlight. So a lot of the characteristics discussed in the review apply – and they would to the other models you’ve identified, too. Anyway, the user is very happy for this monitor as a productivity screen with a bit of casual gaming on the side.

P.S. I’d also recommend reiterating your uses when creating a new thread as it is a useful reference for others.

senzaparole

Thanks for the reply.

I’m looking for a 32 “16: 9 monitor for non-professional use: internet browsing, word, excel, YouTube, non-competitive single player gaming (I have an RX580 8 gb video card but the next upgrade will be an RX 5700 XT) .
          I would like the monitor to have freesync or adaptive sync (should be the same) for the AMD video card.
          After seeing a 34 “21: 9 ultrawide I decided to discard it because I don’t like all the space left and right. I wanted to get a 27″ but my wife objected because she wants a big screen. So the choice is a 32 “16: 9 monitor which for a distance of 80 cm turns out to be an adequate and not annoying size. Furthermore, the 32” monitor also allows multitasking. The 32 “16: 9 is less wide than the 34” 21: 9 and in my opinion the curve is not necessary.

1. Various Amazon customers say Q32E2N monitor is VA panel. However AOC claims it is an IPS panel. Who is right?

2. I understand that all the monitors I have mentioned are of equivalent quality.
          You have only received feedback for the Q32E2N. For the other monitors no feedback.
          For non-professional use of the monitor and for occasional gaming, is it worth spending around 200 euros more for the ew3280u? I am afraid that the benefits of the ew3280u are for those who use the Benq for professional purposes or to watch movies. I am not going to watch movies with the monitor and I am afraid of spending money to buy features I will not use. For this reason I am also looking at 32 “WQHD monitors. Unfortunately there are few choices on the market for a non-curved 32” WQHD 75HZ IPS.

3. A question to reward your excellent work. Do I log into my local Amazon from your link and then can I put any monitor in the cart?

PCM2

I think it would make sense to try the Q32E2N. You may get on with it very well and it’s always worth starting with the cheaper product and seeing how you like it! You might consider the EW3280U overkill and regardless of whether it might deliver some benefits over the Q32E2N, the Q32E2N may well be more than adequate for your uses. Plus a significant upgrade from your existing monitor, which will make it a very pleasant monitor to use and a nice upgrade to have. And the 75Hz refresh rate is quite nice to have compared to 60Hz for casual gaming and even just for productivity purposes in my view.

The Q32E2N definitely uses an IPS-type panel – a BOE IPS-ADS panel as mentioned in my earlier post. It’s made very clear on the product page that it’s an IPS-type panel not a VA panel. But then whoever designed the product page made a lazy copy and paste error and specified 3000:1 instead of 1200:1 for the static contrast. This must’ve been copied over from the U32E2N which does use a VA panel. I’ll mention this to AOC for them to correct it. Anybody quoting this as an AMVA panel or similar is referencing DisplaySpecifications.com – which can be a useful resource but aren’t always correct. And in this case they’re incorrect and jumped to an incorrect conclusion based on the specified contrast.

I appreciate you wanting to support the website. The link should redirect you to an Amazon Italy product page for the monitor you clicked on. You can then use Amazon as normal, for example browse to another monitor such as the Q32E2N using Amazon’s search box and add it to your cart. 🙂

senzaparole

Hi, I ordered the Q32E2N. I’ll get it in a week.
              I have read that the Q32E2N has Adaptive Sync. Will it work with my AMD video card?

As you can see, the news that the Q32E2N is a VA panel is all over the web, including on PRAD.

However, I trust you and AOC!

p.s. if you don’t take offense I made you a very small donation because I appreciate your work so much. A donation, even a small one, is worth more than many words.

PCM2

You know, I’m no longer 100% sure on the panel type myself. I’m really sorry about this, but AOC have royally screwed something up here. I dug through some emails in the original press release I can see the Q32E2N is described as follows:

“The 31.5” Q32E2N employs the QHD resolution (2560 x 1440 pixels) on its VA display for increased details and sharpness with 77% more pixels than Full HD. The VA panel produces deep blacks and a 3000:1 native contrast ratio.”.

But then in later material and also the product page they reference an “advanced IPS panel”. I was basing my understanding of that monitor on the basis that it was an IPS-type panel and basically the follow-up to the Q3279VWFD8. And I’ve even recommended it as such to people (who have been very happy with it, I have to say). I see some retailers and other sources referencing it as VA/MVA or similar and others referring to it as IPS. I’d usually be able to crosscheck different AOC websites (the US website would often confirm the panel type either way), but this one is unfortunately an EU-only model. The manual doesn’t shed any light on this, either. I am going to get the bottom of this with AOC and I’m sorry if I mislead you.

Your FreeSync-capable RX 580 should be able to leverage Adaptive-Sync on the monitor without issue. I appreciate your support including the donation, that was very kind. I hope the monitor does turn out to be what you were expecting. But I’ll see what AOC says about this mess and let you know as soon as I have an answer.

Update 09/06/2021: Now fully confirmed as IPS.

senzaparole

I have sent an email to AOC. He replied that the Q32E2N is an IPS panel.
                  I replied to the email asking for further confirmation. I was reiterated once again that the panel is IPS …

I’m a little baffled by this AOC confusion.
                  How do I check if the monitor I will receive at home is IPS or VA?
                  I don’t have the skills to tell.

Do I have other 32″ 16: 9 WQHD 75Hz IPS non-curved monitor alternatives?
                  The return of a 32 “monitor is annoying because in my area only a courier who has no collection points accepts it.
                  If I have a valid alternative I try to cancel the order of the Q32E2N.

PCM2

There isn’t an alternative I can specifically recommend I’m afraid. I simply don’t receive much feedback about these sorts of models and I only have any for the Q32E2N and VX3276-2K-mhd (which doesn’t support 75Hz). But when I receive a reply from AOC, it will be from the product manager and it will be absolute confirmation. So they won’t just check some web page which may or may not be correct.

The branding on the box should correctly identify if it is a VA or IPS panel. It should mention either VA or IPS and won’t be confusing or ambiguous by mentioning both. I’ve been trying to find images of the box but I simply can’t find any, which is very frustrating.

senzaparole

all right. The order is in progress I am waiting for AOC to answer you. Please update this thread as soon as you hear news.

Thank you PCM

senzaparole

what about this monitor:

https://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-32gp850-180hz-32-nano-ips-model/

it’s a 31.5 “I don’t know if it’s as good as a 32”

PCM2

I’m not sure how the 32GP850 fits in here. It’s a 180Hz model so doesn’t fit your original requirements and costs significantly more than the ones you’re considering. It’s geared more towards gaming-heavy usage and I’d question how much benefit you’d get out of it for your uses compared to the significantly cheaper models you’ve identified. Perhaps some benefit, but maybe tough to justify the premium?

AOC are still looking into the Q32E2N confusion and the product manager is on the case, I’m yet to receive the final confirmation though. I’ll let you know as soon as I do.

Edit 14/05/21: I still haven’t heard back from the Product Manager, but apparently he needs to confirm with some technical director. Sorry this is taking so long! In future I hope AOC are a lot more careful about the information they put out on their official product pages.

senzaparole

ok … I saw it on offer on my local Amazon and it caught my eye.
                            ok let’s not lose sight of the goal 🙂

PCM2

Well it seems the puzzle is being solved bit by bit with respect the the Q32E2N. Although it hasn’t been 100% confirmed as IPS yet (I expect confirmation either way shortly), the actual ‘proper’ spec sheet shows contrast at 1200:1. Which is exactly what I would expect given the BOE IPS-ADS panel I was always assuming has been used. I’ll update this when absolute confirmation is given – what a mess! 🙁

senzaparole

Hello,

I got to compare the AOC monitor with the Benq EW3280U monitor personally.
                                I have decided to return the AOC monitor to amazon.

1. I, who have never calibrated a monitor, have noticed that the AOC has an inaccurate factory calibration compared to the benq.

2. The AOC is a 32 “2540×1440. I didn’t like the clarity and sharpness of the text compared to the benq

3. Bad idea in AOC monitor to place speakers on the back of the monitor.

4. The Benq options menu is easier and more convenient to use than the AOC’s

5. On the official page the contrast is still 1: 3000!

5. I did not like the confusion that AOC has created around the monitor and above all the unwillingness to clarify doubts .. I like to reward those who work well. I appreciate PCM for its work but I don’t like AOC’s work. AOC has lost a customer. I have chosen Benq EW3280U and am very satisfied.

PCM2

I’m glad you managed to settle on the BenQ EW3280U, I think it’s an excellent monitor and provides a really well-rounded experience. I appreciate your feedback justifying your choice as well, that makes sense to me. You’ve made the right choice in my view and I’m sorry you got caught up in this (still ongoing) confusion.

I have to say that the side of AOC I mainly deal with (PR) are fantastic, although they’re technically a separate company rather than AOC themselves. So they work ‘on behalf of AOC’. The Product Manager I sometimes deal with is also very good in general, but there are definitely some crossed wires somewhere on AOC’s side with this model. And I’m surprised we still don’t have a concrete answer from them. It’s like the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing in this case. I suspect the Product Manager is waiting for final confirmation from some technical director, but I’m not really sure how it all works. At any rate, I hope you continue to enjoy that BenQ – great monitor. 🙂

senzaparole

Thanks PCM.
                                    I forgot to add that I didn’t notice any difference between the AOC’s 75hz and the Benq’s 60Hz playing Resident Evil 2.
                                    I think that in gaming you can live well even at 60 hz.
                                    I also had the opportunity to try a 144 hz monitor … maybe the problem is my eyes but I think there is a substantial marketing component on the Hz of the monitors.

I’d love to stay updated on your reviews and continue to appreciate your work!

PCM2

I assume the game was running at a suitable frame rate as well? So 144fps or at least significantly higher than 60fps when you tested the 144Hz model? As with all aspects of monitors, sensitivity to refresh rate and responsiveness in general varies and not everyone will relate to the sort of ‘night and day’ difference others experience and describe.

senzaparole

Yes .. I set the FHD resolution and lowered all the filters and the video card settings to be able to reach 144Hz in the FHD resolution with my RX580 8GB.

RE2 however is not a fast game like a shooter.

PCM2

Better late than never – although I know you’re enjoying the BenQ EW3280U now instead. For the benefit of those wondering, I can confirm that the AOC Q32E2N uses an IPS-type panel as I originally stated. This is the official line from AOC’s Product Manager:

“Initial project started with VA panel, but due to the shortage we have, we were forced to change to IPS panel later on.”

The VA version was never released to the public from what I understand, but some earlier marketing materials indicated it was a VA panel as that was the original plan. And some of that has unfortunately stuck around and caused confusion. They will be changing the contrast stated on the product page in due course.

senzaparole

yes PCM2. You guessed. I am having fun with the Benq EW3280U.
                                            However, I am pleased that the situation has resolved as you expected.
                                            Honestly, I’ve never had any doubts about the correctness of your prediction.
                                            You, a simple monitor enthusiast, managed to solve the problem before AOC, which sells monitors for work!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.