27″ 2560 x 1440 vs. 3840 x 2160

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    jesusbor

Hi and thank you for the great website. It is very nice and helpful.

Last week I purchased a DELL U2520D. It is very nice (good appearance, nice colors), but I am considering returning it and going for 27″ because the text looks too small to tired eyes. I own a MacBook Pro and I use the recommended screen resolution (which is scaled. I cannot read the text if I choose the maximum resolution) and I tend to enlarge the texts on the screen. In the Apple retina display, the text remains very crisp no matter how much I enlarge it. With the Dell U2520D, the image is slightly blurry at certain sizes (I read that this can be also related to the matte treatment).

I like the Dell U2721DE 2k and the U2720Q 4k that I would set to 2k with the hope that the image is sharper than in the U2721DE. However, I read in your articles that, contrary to what most people believe, quite often the image is crispier in a 2K monitor than in a 4K display scaled to 2K. This does not match my experience with the Apple retina screens, but they are much more dense (around 230 ppi) and this may well explain the difference. Have you tried these 2 monitors? What is your recommendation? Main use will be office, internet browsing and some videos.

PCM2

Hi jesusbor,

As covered in our article on the topic, you benefit from the pixel density even if you use scaling. The text needs to scale ‘cleanly’ (i.e. properly) and in most cases it does. That would include text on web browsers and many modern programs – there are a few exceptions and the article covers some, but that’s mainly because the text is tied to a UI element or processed as an image rather than normal adjustable text. With the ‘4K’ resolution you’d also benefit from superior clarity for suitably high resolution image content, games and movies. But whether it’s worth the price premium in the case of the U2720Q is debatable if you’re going to be using a high level of scaling. Simply because you lose the desktop real-estate – and in the Windows environment at least, there are still a few elements that don’t scale well. Again, usually buttons and suchlike tied to the UI of certain applications. Don’t confuse this with what we talk about in reviews with respect to interpolation performance when running the monitor at a non-native resolution – that’s very different.

I’ve only received limited feedback on both Dell models and haven’t used them myself, but the feedback I’ve received is largely positive. Some uniformity complaints but nothing major – the 4-side borderless design does make them more prone to this sort of thing than the more common 3-side borderless designs. The users were pleased with the overall colour performance and responsiveness, they both gamed casually. A key feature which distinguishes the U2720Q from quite a few other models (including some significantly cheaper models we recommend for both categories) is the wide colour gamut, which is shared with the U2520D you tried and enjoyed. The U2721DE doesn’t offer such a wide colour gamut (85% DCI-P3 vs. 95% DCI-P3 which is a large difference). So colours wouldn’t be as vibrant and that’s probably worth considering if you enjoyed the U2520D’s colour output.

You’re right to comment on screen surface. I don’t have absolute confirmation but from what I’ve seen I’d speculate that the haze value of the U2720Q is lower than both the U2721DE and U2520D as well. In other words, it’s ‘light’ rather than ‘medium’ to ‘relatively light’ matte anti-glare – which is also beneficial to clarity and gives less of a ‘layered’ appearance.

P.S. Nothing personal, but please avoid using the term ‘2K’ on these forums. It’s inaccurate and very misleading as it implies the 2560 x 1440 resolution is half of the 3840 x 2160 resolution. Which is incorrect. I criticise manufacturers when they use this in their marketing as well because it encourages use of the phrase.

jesusbor

Thank you for your detailed reply. Sorry for the 2k and 4k expressions… I am afraid I’m used to the commercial terms that, as you point out, are technically not correct.

I feel that my question was not 100% focused: I do not plan to scale my OS, but I do intend to use the 2560 x 1440 non-native resolution in the U2720Q at all times (I lose real state, but the 3840 x 2160 resolution is too demanding for my eyes. I am happy as far as I can work more comfortably). As you say in your statement “Don’t confuse this with what we talk about in reviews with respect to interpolation performance when running the monitor at a non-native resolution – that’s very different.”, my concern is if the image will be nicer on the U2720Q with 2560 x 1440 resolution compared to the U2721DE with the same resolution (in this case, its native resolution). It would be very annoying to get the more expensive and higher featured U2720Q display to find out that image quality is not better (not to say that it is even worse!). I hope you can help me clarify my concern.

Greetings from Spain!

PCM2

Right, well that changes everything. It’s therefore purely the interpolation performance you’d need to consider. I’m not sure why you’d want to run a 3840 x 2160 (‘4K’ UHD) monitor at 2560 x 1440 (WQHD) instead of using scaling? Unless you had to because the system didn’t support a ‘4K’ resolution. Interpolation invariably softens the image or creates a mixture of softer and oversharpened elements. It doesn’t look as ‘clean’ or natural as a native WQHD screen and doesn’t let you take advantage of the pixel density of the monitor. In fact it counteracts that advantage rather strongly in most cases. The using scaling in the OSD but sticking with the native ‘4K’ resolution provides the advantages I described. Yes you get some elements not scaling ‘cleanly’, but that’s preferable to the entire screen being softened with a possible dose of oversharpening! It’s quite the opposite effect to what you’re expecting I think. Stick with native WQHD or use scaling or application specific zoom on a ‘4K’ UHD model – interpolation is too much of a compromise for me to recommend.

To clarify what I said before about colour gamut, that’s still something to consider. But I wasn’t suggesting you’d find the U2721DE ‘washed out’ because of the colour gamut. The other models have an edge in vibrancy, but you still get a slightly beyond sRGB gamut and a consistent IPS-type panel. You might really enjoy it, but perhaps you’d reconsider using scaling on the U2720Q instead if you really want to benefit from a higher pixel density and colour gamut.

jesusbor

I get the point now. Thanks for your efforts to make me understand the matter. I planed to use the lower resolution because Mac OS does not provide a scaling function like Windows. You can choose among several preset resolutions for the Retina display, but they change the screen resolution (bigger text means less real state). In some programs you can increase the font size (not always trivial) and there is a zoom in/out feature under the accessibility tools that I use very often, but it is not always very comfortable (the zoomed screen shows only a portion of the whole screen. Sometimes you can move it unintentionally with the mouse and you have no clue where you are in the screen => you need to zoom out and zoom in again making sure that the cursor is on the area that you want to zoom). The text and icons size by default in a 27″ 3840 x 2160 monitor are too small to be readable. I wonder if I can work this way on the long run. That is why I was hoping to use a lower resolution and take advantage of the more dense pixel layout, but the odds are that the screen quality will be worse than a native 2560 x 1440 display. It would be very nice if other Mac users in this forum can shed some light on how to overcome this no-scaling in Mac OS.

I may give it a try though because I like the U2720Q better. The odds are that I won’t notice the more limited colour gamut of the U2721DE. Now that I know that it is behind the U2720Q, I find it difficult to pick up this model. Any other 2560 x 1440 displays that you can recommend to me that are better than the U2721DE (and with USB-C connection, it works great)?

PCM2

I think the U2721DE would be an appropriate WQHD model given what you’re after and your preferences.

kirazerik

I’ve been looking for this topic for weeks. I am looking for a monitor that I will use with a macbook pro. But because of issues such as text clarity and 110 ppi, 27 inch 1440p was the ideal scenario. i bought xbox series x on top of that. and I want to use the series x with an external monitor that I will buy for a macbook pro. When my research so far takes into account the usb c connection, it looks like the BENQ Ex2780q. I am not someone who does or loves competitive games. but I am looking for a model that will give a fluent experience (120fps) in the xbox series x at 1440p and will suit the side of the macbook pro. I think the only way is BENQ Ex2780q. If you have any other suggestions, I would be happy to listen. I hope u both can share your opinions.

PCM2

For a mixture of productivity and console gaming the BenQ EX2780Q is really tough to beat in my view, it’s one I’m happy to recommend for such uses. Just make sure you’re aware that the USB-C PD is limited to 10W, so it isn’t very useful to use for charging your Macbook. If you’re really just looking for the ‘1 cable solution’ to use for display signal (DP Alt Mode) whilst also supporting upstream USB data (allowing you to use the USB ports of the monitor with your Macbook) then it will be ideal. The general point to highlight is that it’s very common for gaming monitors to feature a low Power Delivery level for USB-C.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.