27″ 1080p 144hz monitor : Are they really that bad?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    wwuu

I’ve been loving your work in the past (here and on youtube) and I finally joined the forum!

I’ve been looking to upgrade to a 27″ 144hz monitor. (I currently own a AOC 24″ 75hz.)
      But I’ve often read 1080p at 27″ makes text very blurry and difficult to read as well as games looking worse.
      Just how unbearable is the situation?
      If I don’t do a lot of text reading/writing, (Most of my reading and writing is done at work) will 27″ 1080p be usable?
      I will be mainly playing games and watching videos. I also don’t play fast twitch FPS games like CS Go/Overwatch much so viewing size being too big isn’t an issue.
      Is it still a better idea to go 24″ or just go higher to 2560 x 1440?

I’ve been looking at budget models such as : MSI Optix G27C4, MSI Optix MAG271C, Philips 278, and the AOC C27G1 (about $65 higher than the rest). Other monitors are too expensive and at that point I figure I’d just jump to the 1440 Samsung C27JG54/C27JG56. (still about $150 higher than the models above)
      Any specific model recommendations would be great.

Thanx

PCM2

Hi wwuu,

It’s ultimately very subjective and depends on your own eyes, preferences, experiences and viewing distance. Personally I dislike 27″ Full HD monitors and prefer monitors with a much higher pixel density, from my normal viewing distance at a desk (~70cm). I find 24″ Full HD monitors more tolerable from that distance, but even then I prefer higher pixel densities than that. I feel that quite a bit of the criticism levied towards 27″ Full HD monitors and especially language like “blurry” and “huge pixels” is exaggerated and is largely spread by users without experience of such models. I’d say you’d need to give them a go and see for yourself, some users love them and have no issues with pixel density. The size of the screen itself can be a key enjoyment factor in that case.

As I often recommend the AOC C24G1 to users, by proxy people read that as a recommendation for the C27G1 if they prefer 27″ screens. There are some differences, in particular pixel responsiveness is somewhat slower. But the overall experience aside from that (and screen size) is quite comparable. The pixel responsiveness is ‘fine’ for some users, it doesn’t really bother them either way. I noticed you listed 27″ models using Samusng SVA panels exclusively – although I don’t know what the ‘Philips 278’ is, there are many models with that prefix. As a general comment, the 27″ SVA panel(s) are natively slower than their 24″ counterparts, so you get some more pronounced weaknesses in terms of ‘powdery’ or ‘smeary’-looking trailing. Or overshoot if you try to overcome this with strong pixel overdrive – a good example of this being the Gigabyte AORUS CV27F. As I said some users would be fine with this, as with screen size you need to judge that yourself.

ufoman

I own LG 34UC89G-B, which is a 34-inch 2560×1080 monitor, with PPI identical to that of the 27-inch 1080p monitors. I was slightly apprehensive of the display density, but to be honest, even in office work I often do, it is far from being bad.
          Lower resolution was my priority actually at purchase time, as I wanted to move to ultrawide format, but also retain high framerates and full G-Sync I have enjoyed on AOC G2460PG. For gaming, the lower resolution isn’t very noticeable, and in my opinion it is being far outweighed by good color uniformity, decent contrast for an IPS panel, no black crushing and acceptable level of clouding.
          Back to office work, while vertical resolution has not changed for me, the ultrawide format is very helpful when working with two documents at the same time, or ever watching a video on one half of the screen. This is also not being impeded in any way by the lower PPI than usual.

PCM2

Nice feedback there ufoman, glad the pixel density is working out well for you. It’s good to see some positives from somebody with actual experience with the pixel density. To counter a lot of the stuff you see from people who largely lack such experience. 🙂

ufoman

I’m glad I’ve even found it, to be honest. I’ve seen a couple unofficial G-Sync monitor lists that did not include it at all. I have found it in an official list on nvidia.com, and luckily it was still available locally. I was initially going to buy one of the more popular 27-inch 2560×1440 monitors, but after seeing many complaints related to panels used in these, and thinking that 16:9 aspect ratio is getting long in the tooth as far as PC gaming goes (the ultrawide aspect ratio support in games has definitely become rather common these days), an ultrawide is a good choice. Only thing I would not compromise on is full G-Sync, I have suffered enough reverse ghosting in the past not to give up on variable overdrive.

I’d say it’s best to visit a bigger retail store, that will have a fair amount of monitors on display, and just see for yourself. Nothing beats personal experience, and in my case, some pixel density loss was a good tradeoff for a larger viewing area and all the benefits of IPS technology, while still allowing for framerates well above 60 in a lot of games.

PCM2

Well it’s certainly on our G-SYNC monitor list.

Qaaya

Hi everyone, firstly I want to say thanks for the amazing advice I have had on this forum before, I really appreciate it! Second I will say I am going into this with my eyes and ears open, I understand that what I am looking for may not exist or be practical so if that’s the case just let me know!

I am looking for a new monitor for my other half, while I have a twenty nineteen laptop with a 120 Hz IPS display she is still using some rather thicc old ladies from a good few years ago. She is going to start home working imminently and she will also be using the monitor for gaming. Two possibly disparate use cases but we will see!

Monitor should be 27 inches ideally, possibly twenty-four. She would like 120 Hz at least for gaming, although I think 120 Hz outside of laptops has largely given way to 144 Hz on the stand alone monitor market? 1080P is fine, as a note she currently has a 27 inch 1080p monitor and that combination of resolution and size isn’t an issue. Unfortunately the graphics card she has doesn’t quite have the legs for pushing 1440P and high frame rates.

As she will be using it for work which is graphic design so decent colours would be preferable. Ideally I think IPS would be good but I’m not sure we have the budget for all of these things plus IPS. I have read in some recent reviews SVA? Could that be an option?

Peak brightness isn’t too much of an issue as she is a little photosensitive so it probably doesn’t have to be more than two hundred and fifty nits.

For connections her graphics card has three display ports and her laptop for work also has a display port so two display port connections would be ideal. Other preferably digital connections can happen, we have an array of cables and adapters we can use. Adaptive sync would also be good.

Ideally This would come in somewhere under 200 pounds.

To summarise (for TLDR):

27″, possibly 24″
                  1080P
                  120+ Hz
                  Good colour reproduction
                  Preferably display port connections
                  Under £200
                  Would like adaptive sync

Does this monitor exist?

PCM2

Such monitors certainly do exist, although not quite within your budget. You’ll notice a lot of the focus on this forum for 144Hz Full HD displays tends to be looking at ~24″ models. With the trio we recommend for the TN, VA and IPS panel types generally being the ViewSonic XG240R, AOC C24G1 and AOC 24G2U respectively. There are several alternatives available, as discussed in various threads here. Some people do simply prefer 27″ displays even with a Full HD resolution, but you can’t expect them to be priced quite as low as their ~24″ counterparts.

The 27″ variant of the IPS-type AOC would fit the bill, the 27G2(U). It comes in just above your budget, but you won’t squeeze in under your budget without dropping screen size. It has slightly lower contrast than the 23.8″ model, but it’s perfectly decent in that respect. Colour performance is similar to the 23.8″ model. A potential concern would be the wide colour gamut – if your partner doesn’t have a colorimeter or similar device then that would be an issue. There’s an sRGB emulation mode, but it locks off brightness so that’s far from ideal. Does your partner have an AMD or Nvidia GPU in the system?

I wouldn’t really recommend the C24G1 instead of that just because the colour gamut is more suitable for work within the sRGB colour space, because of the colour consistency and gamma issues explored in the review. Even the best VA panels for colour consistency issues which make them less suitable for colour-critical work. So either an increase in budget or decrease in screen size would be required, unless a colorimeter and colour-managed workflow can be used in which case the 27″ AOC should work well.

Qaaya

Thank you for the reply! We really appreciate the help.

She’s currently using an Nvidia GTX1060 and her work laptop has an RTX2060. A graphics card upgrade will come at some point in the next couple of years and I would like that to be an AMD card although the final decision is hers to make.

The AOC 24G2U looks pretty much bang on as my partner says she is okay with 24 inch having read what you wrote. I was initially slightly put off by the red accents but in your review you said they are less eye-catching in reality than in photos so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

I did find something that looks on paper to be fairly similar – the Acer Nitro XV240YP. It doesn’t have the red accidents which is nice but I can’t find a review of one anywhere That mentions in depth things like colour reproduction. Also the VG240YP Seems to be the same thing but again, no in-depth reviews. What do people around here think of that one?

PCM2

The Acer XV240Y isn’t available yet, but it appears to be a slightly overclocked and Nitro-branded version of the VG240Y. The same Panda CELL was used in the VG240Y as the AOC, but pixel overdrive wasn’t as well tuned and colours aren’t as vibrant. A narrower colour gamut backlight is used on the Acer models (99% sRGB) which should improve colour accuracy at the expense of vibrancy and would be more appropriate if you don’t have a colorimeter or similar device. As mentioned in my previous post.

GillRios

Hi…I’d recommend dropping the size down to 24 inches. Once you get up to 27 inches, the pixel density on 1080p displays starts to get low and things can start to look blocky as it becomes possible to easily discern individual pixels unless you sitting rather far back from the display. If you really want 27 inches, I’d recommend bumping the resolution up to 1440p, though 144Hz 1440p monitors are extremely pricey right now.

PCM2

I agree that 27″ is better suited to WQHD and higher resolutions, although some users still find 27″ Full HD monitors just fine in terms of pixel density. Especially for gaming. I tend to sit ~70cm from screens when I use them and have strong eyesight, so I’m a stickler for high pixel densities. ~”24 is preferable for the Full HD resolution but even that is a relatively low pixel density. I wouldn’t say 144Hz WQHD models are “extremely” expensive, although you’re correct that you’d pay a signficant premium over most Full HD alternatives. It sounds like the OP and her partner have settled on a ~24″ Full HD model, anyway.

Qaaya

Just FYI OP is a woman! 😉

Thanks for all the responses. As it happened our budget was slightly larger than anticipated so we went ahead with the 27G2(U) and are very happy with the purchase, it’s a very nice monitor! I also note that hardware unboxed on YouTube have just reviewed the 24G2 version (a channel I trust very much) and have found that to be best 1080P 144 hertz monitor so looks like the recommendations were bang on!

Thank you again.

PCM2

Oops – sorry for my incorrect attribution of your gender there Qaaya! Said it without really thinking. I’ve corrected that and I’m glad you’re enjoying the 27″ AOC. 🙂

Lala20

would you recommend the 27 inch model of the g2? it’s currently the only size that’s available in my country and i heard 27-inch isn’t good for 1080p.

PCM2

Lala20, I’ve merged your thread with a suitable topic.

As for the 27G2(U), specifically, it offers slightly lower contrast than the 24G2(U). But it’s by no means poor in that respect and is still a decent all-round performer, similar to the ~24″ model overall. I’ve received some good feedback from users who are pretty happy with it, especially its colour reproduction. See the posts earlier on this thread, for example. So I’d strongly consider it if you’re primarily interested in vibrant and consistent colour output with decent responsiveness and contrast on the side.

Luis89

Hi. I’m planning to get the VS monitor, but I can’t decide which one from XG2405 or XG2705. Is 1080p on 27″ monitor is really bad? That the pixel will be visible?
                                      I’m considering the price here. The XG2405 is around $220.00 while the XG2705 is $285.00. My first plan was to upgrade to 24″ but seeing the price difference between them made me think that adding a little more will get me a bigger monitor. I did the best thing to do before buying, I did a lil bit of searching about monitors. I will use it for work and a lil bit of gaming mostly FPS.

PCM2

Hi Luis89,

I’ve moved your post over to here as it’s a suitable place and addresses the 27″ Full HD experience. As noted here it’s an individual choice and one which you’ll have to make yourself. In addition to the screen size, there may be other differences between the XG2405 and XG2705 to consider. As I have no experience with the latter or useful user feedback to share I can’t shed any light on that, however.

zzzzz

Will yo do review of 27g2spu? You did not review 27g2u and c27g1. I own 27g2u almost 2 years and I am really happy with it. I did have problem to decide between 24″ or 27″ monitor and I was afraid to go with 27″ because many people on internet say its too large for 1080p. But after I saw both of them choice was clear and I did go with 27″ size. Now after almost 2 years I think both size and resolution are perfect and I love 144hz refresh rate. I must say your reviews on forum and youtube did help me a lot.

PCM2

The interest more generally for Full HD monitors swings heavily towards ~24″ compared to 27″. As per this thread, which I’ve merged yours with, I agree with you that they have their place. As a reviewer I spend ~3 weeks and sometimes longer with each monitor I review – I don’t personally like to use 27″ Full HD monitors and really any Full HD monitor is pushing it in terms of my personal enjoyment. We already have a clear recommendation in that segment (BenQ EX2710S), but the cheaper AOC models are certainly worth considering as well. The 27″ variants of a monitor are typically rather similar to the ~24″ variants but simply larger with a naturally lower pixel density. For these reasons they are very low down our reviewing priority list and if we’ve already looked at a ~24″ model it’s extremely unlikely we’ll look at the 27″ version.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.