1500:1 vs 1000:1 contrast – Is there a big difference? 1080p 144hz IPS panels

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    copex4

I’d like to know some opinions on this topic – Famous AOC 24G2(U) had an amazing contrast ratio for an IPS monitor – until they started to implement different panel. Would someone that has used a normal contrast ratio (1000:1) see the difference when looking at the panel like one 24G2 had (or MSI G241 still uses)? Or is standard 1000:1 just good enough for occasionally watching a movie?

PCM2

As covered here and in subsequent posts on that thread, I think it’s only a matter of time before all models that were originally based on the Panda panel move onto being based around the BOE panel. That would include the MSI G241 and others such as the ViewSonic XG2405.

In the contrast section of the 24G2(U) review (original Panda-based model), I do explain that the extra static contrast gives the monitor a bit of an edge. The black depth at a given brightness level is 50% lower, so you do get a deeper look to things. But you still have ‘IPS glow’ and in no way would I describe the contrast as ‘strong’ even at 1500:1. It isn’t sufficient to give a good atmospheric look to things in dimmer lighting. And in a brighter room you’d struggle to see the difference between a 1500:1 and 1000:1 contrast ratio. There are certainly conditions between a dim and bright room where I feel you might notice the edge.

As I cover in this thread I tend not to recommend 27″ WQHD models based on LG’s Nano IPS as highly as models with other IPS-type panels and stronger contrast. With those models you’d be comparing ~800:1 for those using the LG Nano IPS panels and perhaps ~1200:1 otherwise. So yes, I do consider this sort of contrast difference something you can appreciate, but it’s very subjective. I wouldn’t really say the difference between 1000:1 and 1500:1 is dramatic per say. But it may be noticeable in the right conditions – as with many things when it comes to monitors, it’s very subjective.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.