New monitor for gaming & accuracy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    robw09

Hi all, looking for some advice as it’s been a while since I have looked for a new monitor. My son is having my current MSI MAG274QRF-QD, and my replacement must be as “good” as a min.

My Budget is up to £400, for a 1440p 27″-32″

Usage Type mostly gaming, but not and competitive and in the main slower moving. Helldivers is the fastest game I have! My GPU is a 3070 and do not need the super high refresh rates offered on some monitors. I use/play in a lit room and mount on an arm. I am after something that is accurate, good colours and contrast, and where one mode will suit the majority of my use. I don’t have a calibration tool, but don’t mind downloading and installing config files. I don’t need stellar HDR, and I will not be using with a console.

I had a “shortlist”, but its honestly difficult to pick.

1. AOC Q27G3XMN was originally my favourite with strong reviews, but I have never experienced a VA panel and I have some nagging concerns.
      2. ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ at the top of my picks and I can pick up for under £400 at the moment.
      3. Predator XB3 Gaming Monitor XB273UNV – Both Acer’s have the same issue in that it’s difficult to find a review for the exact reference as they have loads of variants!
      4. Acer NITRO XV2 XV272U V3
      5. Gigabyte M27Q V2 (which I believe is also called the P version) seems a good budget option
      6. MSI G274QPX – I was initially looking at a successor to the MAG274QRF-QD, but not sure it is even quantum dot….

Yes, it’s a long list, but I would like to reduce it down by either eliminating some or highlighting ones that would most suit!

Thanks all

PCM2

Hi robw09,

If you liked the MAG274QRF-QD and it suited you well, you should really be looking at the MAG 274QRF QD E2. This is its true successor, including a similar QD backlight and wide gamut support. I’d expect it to have an edge in pixel responsiveness due to the updated panel and be broadly similar to its predecessor elsewhere. With a few improvements such as 65W (vs. 15W) PD for USB-C and KVM functionality. It’s priced more aggressively than the older version and is comfortably within your budget. Oh – and we’ll be reviewing it quite shortly.

robw09

I did consider getting the E2 and you are right to say it’s aggressively priced, but I wanted to have an opinion if there were better options for my needs. Also the rtings review is not the best, granted this is for the original version.

PCM2

Other reviewers including Hardware Unboxed gave the MAG274QRF-QD a more positive reception and I’ve received a lot of positive feedback on it over the years. If you read the actual text of the RTINGS reviews you might not agree with how they weighted some of their scores. It was a truly unique product and had its own thread of sorts and has been mentioned on a few others. I agree with them that the gamma calibration isn’t ideal and have said as much on the forum in my commentary on the monitor. It’s not really a big deal for general purpose usage and gaming. But either way, the MAG 274QRF QD E2 is indeed a different product – but it certainly carries over the key ‘golden feature’ of the older model which is that QD backlight.

robw09

I have purchased the MAG 274QRF QD E2 for £232. When I looked at the other options I had they were at least £100 more. Which as a percentage was nearly 50 % more. I don’t believe any are 50 % “better” (Gigabyte option was the only one in the same price bracket).

I remember having to send my first original MSI back due to excessive back light bleed (second one was fine) so fingers crossed the first one is good on the E2.

I will update thread with some opinions over the first edition as I will be owning them back to back.

jbennett360

How you finding it?

PCM2
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.