Why shouldn’t I get a Samsung C34F791?

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   Why shouldn’t I get a Samsung C34F791?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gkubed 6 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!
  • Author

gkubed

Howdy! This is a broad question. I’ve looked through and read many of the reviews on this site as well as their respective product pages, and some YouTube videos.

At $949 on Amazon, there seems to be no better option. One of its predecessors, the Samsung S34E790C, received what I would consider to be a good review on this site. Most of the problems listed in the “Negatives” set has been resolved.

Is there any outstanding reason not to get this monitor? Surely I haven’t missed a more obvious choice, but I’d love to be corrected before dropping nearly a thousand dollars.

At Amazon, of course.

February 14, 2017 at 9:31 pm #41614

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi there gkubed,

Well that is quite a tough one to answer, because although I have not yet tested the monitor myself (Samsung have failed to provide a sample so far) I am confident that it will provide a very convincing all-round performance. This is based in part on user feedback, which has been largely positive (certain FreeSync issues aside) and also my testing of the ASUS MX34VQ which uses a similar panel.

I think the ASUS MX34VQ is an interesting one to compare the C34F791 with. That review should give a decent indication of what to expect, but there are a few key differences.

– The Samsung offers a slightly wider colour gamut due to its use of Quantum Dots instead of phosphors on the backlight. It’s not a massive difference, but will provide a bit of extra vibrancy. I wouldn’t say the ASUS was lacking in that department to be honest, but a hint of extra vibrancy could be welcome by some users anyway.

– The Samsung offers a stronger curve (1500R vs. 1800R). I actually prefer steeper curves, at least comparing the 1800R of the ASUS with the 3000R or so curve of the older S34E790C and suchlike. And I feel a bit of extra curce beyond the 1800R of the ASUS could be quite nice.

– The Samsung as a little more expensive.

– The Samsung has a height-adjustable stand, which is nice, and supports VESA mounting. The ASUS has a Qi wireless charger built into the base which I actually found quite useful, but I would put it low down my list of priorities really.

– The Samsung has more noticeable ‘FreeSync flicker’. This was noted in our review of the ASUS between 45 – 50Hz, whereas on the Samsung it occurs over a broader range (I think up to 80Hz if you have ‘FreeSync’ set to ‘Ultimate Engine’). As I noted in the ASUS review, I only see FreeSync as a bonus and I much preferred the experience at the highest possible frame rates – and in my case, a solid 100fps where possible on my more powerful Nvidia GPU.

So all things considered, I feel the C34F791 will offer a very pleasing gaming and general computing experience. I can give you far more reasons to go for it than I could to stay away from it. As long as you’re prepared to expect some issues with FreeSync (maybe you use an Nvidia GPU or don’t really care about this feature anyway) and also are aware of a few slight weaknesses with pixel responsiveness. Then you won’t be setting yourself up for disappointment, as some users who have had negative things to say about the monitor seem to have done. You’ve also got an excellent returns policy to back you up in case you really don’t get on with it or you happen to have other issues with your unit. If you do go for it I also welcome your thoughts.

February 14, 2017 at 10:00 pm #41615

gkubed

Thank you so much for the excellent, well-written reply. I’m looking to build a Ryzen machine, and I may wait to build it when the Vega GPUs come out, in which case FreeSync will be nice. Otherwise, I may just end up with a 1080.

I really liked your review of the ASUS MX34VQ, but the lack of a VESA mount is just a killer for me. Other than that, it looks fantastic!

I’m more of a productivity hog (programmer) than a gamer, but I did want to try a monitor with a higher framerate than 60Hz (other than an old 1080p TN OC’d to 73Hz).

If I get the C34F791, I’ll be sure to report back and answer any questions of yours I can, though, I may not have the experience to be able to give any useful information. 🙂

Thanks again!

February 15, 2017 at 4:38 am #41616

gkubed

So, I saw a Samsung LC27F591 today. It was rather unimpressive. In particular, the color shift that you observed in the Samsung S34E790C and Samsung C27F591FD reviews. I’m hoping that the C34F791 is better. I’m glad to hear that there’s an excellent returns policy, though.

February 15, 2017 at 7:37 am #41617

PCM2
    Keymaster

When you saw it, were you standing above it by any chance?

February 15, 2017 at 2:00 pm #41618

gkubed

Hmm – good thinking. It was on a shelf, so technically I was a bit below it. I imagine that would have the same effect.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.