U2518D tearing/stutter issues?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!

• Author

What you need to remember is that Dell monitors are extremely popular, people are more likely to post about issues/problems than report good things about monitors. I have recommend the U2518D monitor to many happy gamers and will continue to do so. The number of complaints is actually very small. Furthermore, this ‘issue’ seems to only affect a subset of monitors with particular firmware revisions, only applies to certain GPUs and seems to be rectified in new firmware revisions. It also seems it can be solved by using a custom resolution as a PC user or possibly just using a different port if that’s an option.

So, are you talking about PC gaming? What GPU do you use?

I didn’t come across this issue on my GTX 1070. Primarily tested HDMI 2.0, which is required for HDR capability on this monitor, but also a bit with DP. Given the number of workarounds and Amazon’s great returns policy, I really don’t see the issue here.

Yes this would be for PC gaming. I have a GTX 1060 6GB, specifically this one: https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-mini#spec

I would be purchasing two in use for a dual display setup, not sure if that would affect anything.

That should be similar to my GTX 1070 so I doubt you’ll have any issues. If you do, there are various workarounds as I’ve said and they will still work regardless of whether you’re using multiple displays.

Well I ended up picking one up, no tearing issues but pretty bad backlighting issues!

https://imgur.com/a/yNKWW

It is better to observe that at a sensible brightness. When the monitor loses signal, IIRC it pumps up the brightness to max. You also need to make sure you’re observing it centrally from ~2m or further back to eliminate IPS glow from the equation. And of course use sensible camera settings to avoid overexposure and an unrealistic representation of how things look (not saying the latter necessarily applies as you weren’t in a dark room when this was taken, anyway). There are definitely some ‘issues’ highlighted in the image, but the most troubling of these are likely exacerbated by the above.

I agree the picture makes it look worse than it is. 3 out of the 4 corners are fine in real world use. That bottom left corner is pretty terrible though. It’s just disappointing to see a panel from Dell’s ultrasharp line come out like this. Not sure if I want to play the panel lottery again or try a different model.

Dell UltraSharp models are no more or less prone to this than other models using similar panels. A swap would be more worthwhile than trying your luck with a different model, especially if you’re otherwise happy with the Dell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.