MSI MPG 274URF QD (review) and comparison with M27U

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    PCM2

Our review of the MSI MPG 274URF QD is now live. This is a 160Hz 3840 x 2160 ‘4K’ UHD IPS LCD with QD-LED backlight. This provides a true wide gamut with near-complete DCI-P3 and Adobe RGB coverage. This provides strong vibrancy and saturation, with strong colour accuracy potential for colour critical work within extended colour spaces. I liked the inclusion of multiple colour space emulation settings (DCI-P3, Adobe RGB and sRGB) and they worked quite well and as intended. This makes the monitor a versatile option for both work and play, with other additions such as KVM functionality and USB-C (65W PD) sweetening the deal. On the gaming side the pixel responses were well-tuned and VRR was provided with a single overdrive mode experience, due to the inclusion of effective variable overdrive.

Some points of comparison with the Gigabyte M27U:

– The M27U provides superior HDR brightness and contrast with rudimentary (8-zone) local dimming, but it’s still heavily compromised for HDR. In many other ways I feel the MSI is the superior product, with the following advantages:

– It feels a bit more premium.

– Higher USB-C PD of 65W vs 15W.

– Full bandwidth HDMI 2.1, which I know some people are particular about.

– Superior brightness adjustment range under SDR with 39 rather than 66 nits minimum and 506 rather than 431 nits maximum.

– Superior strobe backlight implementation due to lack of KSF phosphors.

– The most important differentiator in my view is true wide gamut support with excellent Adobe RGB and DCI-P3 coverage. Rather than being restricted to ~90% DCI-P3 with far from complete Adobe RGB coverage as the Gigabyte is. This makes the MSI more versatile for colour accurate work and can also provide superior vibrancy and saturation, if you like that kind of thing.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.