LG UltraWides – 34GK950F, 34GN850, 34GP83A and 34GP950G

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 83 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Verolox

Okay I see. By the way, thanks for all your help so far, I really appreciate that you take so much time for me! I know I am asking the most basic questions which could be quite annoying, so once again, I really appreciate that!

So I have just spent another 3 hours reading through your reviews and comparing all the ultrawides you have tested so far and compared the best UFO pictures from your reviews.

To be honest, I pretty much can’t spot a big difference, even on a static image. Now with this in motion, I might not see any difference at all. Of course, there is a little more trailing behind the UFOs on the VA Panels, especially on the darker colors, but in terms of the pure sharpness of the picture/UFO, I am pretty sure the 34GK950F is not a single percent ahead. I would even go as far as claiming the AG352UCG6 delivers the sharpest UFO of those 5.

I am well aware of the fact that the 34GN850 is not listed here and should be slightly faster than the 34GK950F shown in this comparison, but by looking at this picture over and over again, I definitely questioning if even the slightest difference in response time is worth spending any more money at all…

As I mentioned earlier, the 1ms MBR UFO at 144 Hz of your image is the best looking UFO so far IMO. (Ofc the best of all is AOC AG251FG, but that is TN)

PCM2

Right, so what you’re doing there is focusing on the element of perceived blur caused by eye (camera) movement and ignoring pixel responsiveness entirely. It is explained in the text accompanying those photos exactly what they’re showing and the fact that the clarity of the main object reflects perceived blur due to eye movement. It’s right that this element won’t change on monitors that are the same refresh rate and using the same sampling method (sample and hold vs. impulse-type). The camera can capture things slightly differently for different shades or brightness levels as well, it sometimes slightly bleaches the white elements for example. This explains why the AG352UCG6 may look slightly clearer there – in practice it looks the same as the other models at 120Hz for the main object clarity.

The UFO Motion Test for ghosting runs at a constant speed from one side of the screen to the other. If the motion were to suddenly switch direction, which occurs in games all the time, the trailing due to pixel responsiveness weaknesses would go across the UFO. And that’s clearly going to hamper overall perceived blur or motion clarity. I’d recommend spending some time looking at the responsiveness sections of the VA model video reviews, such as the CU34G2X below (best watched full screen), as there are some clear examples of how this ‘smeary’ trailing manifests itself in the ‘real world’. If you still don’t think it will bother you then fair enough, but it’s unwise to discount it.

Verolox

I see, so the UFOs going the same direction all the time are not the best way to decide on motion blur behaivor either!
          Anyways, I have now also watched both your review about the AG352UCG6 and the CU34G2X and I have to admit I find the smearing and powdery trailing youre showing there is okay. I mean it’s definitely not good at all, but in direct comparison to your video review about the 34GK950F I do not see a major difference between them. Though it is worth mentioning (to myself) that I am watching all these videos on my 60 Hz 8 year old acer office screen, so this might be the reason why I can’t spot a difference. But yeah as I said, it’s not about “which is better”, it is more like “which one is noticeably worse” with all of them (including the 34GK950F) being not the greatest – at least for my understanding of good sharpness of motion and low trailing.

So in the end it might just come down to price. I will stick with the LG Displays for 600-800 $ for now, but up until I a actually bought one which will take another week or so, I will be keeping an eye out for a good price on some VA ultrawide Panels like the MSI Optix Ultrawide Series, lenovo g34 w10, iiyama g-master, or some M34 ultrawides from LC Power. And if I perhaps find one of these for around 300 Bucks I will probably just buy one of those. I will let my hands off the cheaper AOC VA’s though cause I recently read about some very bad response times and even very bad input lag on these even though you just reviewed them. Speaking of reviews, any suggestions about the “Bang for Buck” VA’s mentioned above? There are single to none reviews about lenovo, iiyama and LC Power Ultrawides.

PCM2

The UFO Motion Test for ghosting is an excellent way of showing perceived blur, you need to understand what it is you’re looking at. And that is described in the accompanying text in our reviews and reinforced in our extremely comprehensive responsiveness article. I appreciate it can be difficult to relate that to ‘real world’ scenarios, which is why I like to demonstrate things using in-game examples with the video reviews as well. These videos certainly highlight the pixel responsiveness issues quite clearly with some specific examples. The fact your monitor is 60Hz doesn’t matter (it’s only a 60Hz video), but if your own monitor has significant pixel response time weaknesses then they’d be apparent on all of the videos. Even those showing the IPS models like LG 34GK950F in action. And with this said, it’s fair to say that if your monitor really is that poor for pixel responsiveness then you may well find even the cheaper VA options to be a nice upgrade. The increased refresh rate is certainly a nice benefit even with some pixel response time weaknesses, which I try to convey in the reviews and you have picked up from the pursuit photos.

The VA options are discussed in this thread, which I’ve pointed you towards previously. My own recommendation there is clear. This thread we’re in now isn’t the place to discuss them as this is a comparison thread between the LG 34GK950F and 34GN850. I’m not sure which “cheaper AOC VA” option you’re referring to with “very bad response times” and “very bad input lag”, but if you’re talking about the CU34G2X then that’s nonsense. We’ve got a very accurate input lag measurement methodology and I have a huge amount of experience with assessing pixel responsiveness as well. The AOC’s about as good as you’ll get from that VA panel in both respects, any source identifying “very bad input lag” on that one probably has a poor and inaccurate measurement methodology.

Verolox

Alright, thank you for sharing the VA options thread once again. I will stop replying to this thread now for the sake of its initial purpose.

I apologize for the repetitive questions I have been asking, there has been a lot of new input for me lately.
              Thank you again for all your support so far, and keep up the great work with your reviews!

PCM2

I appreciate the kind words and I know there is a lot of information to take in here. πŸ™‚

PCM2

A new model is now listed on LG’s website, the 34GP83A. It isn’t clear from the product page what, if anything, has changed compared to the 34GN850. Except some slight re-styling of the red elements at the rear to reflect the new ‘UltraGear’ motif. If anybody has any insights please feel free to share them here. πŸ™‚

uncia

I can’t find anything on the 34GP83A either. It seems to have the exact same specifications as the 34GN850 everywhere I look, and it’s just become available on Amazon’s US website today. It’s $200 USD cheaper than the 34GN850, so I’m wondering if it’s a stripped down version of that monitor like the 27GL850 has in the 27GL83A. Perhaps the merged product pages Amazon has is losing something in defining specs for that particular model since it’s so new? I’m tempted as the price is better than the 34GN850, and it comes with free one-day shipping for Prime members, in the US at the current moment. This is subject to change at any time. I can’t see LG undercutting themselves on the current $999 price they’re selling the 34GN850 for, so something seems amiss.

PCM2

Yes that really is curious. At least with the 27GL83A it has a clear distinction with its colour gamut compared to the 34GP83A there really doesn’t seem to be any difference on the inside and only minor differences on the outside. The colour gamut specified is exactly the same and it almost certainly uses the exact same Nano IPS panel. The product page (now also confirmed by Amazon listing, which usually draws information from LG’s retailer spec sheets) doesn’t show any difference between the 34GP83A and 34GN850 aside from those rear styling elements.

uncia

Yes that really is curious. At least with the 27GL83A it has a clear distinction with its colour gamut compared to the 27GL850. With the 34GP83A – Amazon link – there really doesn’t seem to be any difference on the inside and only minor differences on the outside. The colour gamut specified is exactly the same and it almost certainly uses the exact same Nano IPS panel. The product page (now also confirmed by Amazon listing, which usually draws information from LG’s retailer spec sheets) doesn’t show any difference between the 34GP83A and 34GN850 aside from those rear styling elements.

I’ve been trying to find anything on it, but from LG’s website to the listing on Amazon, there’s no defining characteristics that differentiate the two models. I’m tempted to try it, but $799 is still a high cost. If it turns out there is something that explains the cost difference, I’d be disappointed. I don’t want to order something and send it back, again. LG’s positively lackluster 1-year warranty doesn’t imbue confidence either. Many companies offer 34-inch models at half the price with 3-year warranties. LG seems to be in the minority at this point, though it is difficult to tell as some manufacturers offer 3-years for one model, while 1-year for another. Considering the premium they’re asking, I’d think they’d back models in this class with longer warranty. I’m likely not to purchase another monitor for 5-10 years. If it died within in 1-2 years, I’d be quite frustrated.

With all that said, I’m checking the listing on Amazon to see if the price suddenly goes up to match the 34GN850. There’s a chance the price is going to be altered with time. I know this happens, though at such a difference one is left to wonder what is going on.

uncia

Well Adam, I couldn’t help myself. The new model was too enticing. On top of that, Amazon offered me a $100 gift card to go toward the purchase if I signed up for a Prime Visa card. This reduced the cost to $699. Using the new card, instantly active, I received 5% cash back on the purchase. Then after completing the purchase, I was given a $5 credit toward my next purchase if made in the next 30 days. Seeing as I use Amazon for a lot of things, this won’t be difficult. At the rate they’re going, they’re going to end up paying me to buy things from them. I know people give them a lot of flack for various practices, but as far as big business goes, they’re still the best out there!

I also wanted to mention that I did some research on the 34GP83A. It’s strangely isolated on LG’s website. So you can’t do a direct comparison of this model against the 34GN850. So the sleuths on Reddit surmised it’s possible this could be a special Amazon-only item created by LG. If there’s some sort of deal between the two companies, I can see this being possible, though I don’t know what incentive there might be for either of them. It would help make sense of the lower price for a monitor that exactly matches the specs of a $1000 USD model. I don’t see anywhere they’ve stripped down on features. Though I’ll be sure to let you know once it arrives and I’ve tested it.

I’d intended to purchase a monitor long ago, so this sort of fits in the budget. I’d actually intended to purchase a new camera this fall, however, Panasonic is dragging their feet with the announcement, let alone release, of the GH6. So I just decided I’d use funds meant to go toward that for the monitor instead. As I said, I’ll keep you informed of how it goes. If it turns out the specs are indeed identical, we may have a hit on our hands. I can’t see anyone passing over an version of the 34GN850 that inexplicably costs 20% less. Now, comes the waiting. Unfortunately, I didn’t order it in time to get the one-day shipping. They must’ve sold out from the nearest distribution center and need to ship from farther away. I did discover something though. If you choose “ship in Amazon packaging,” they’ll place the monitor in a second box for shipping. I know they’d begun to ship in the factory boxes only, and that’s a recipe for disaster. For Prime members at least, the option is free. I imagine they’ve taken to offering this after some mishaps with shipping expensive items in substandard packaging. Most manufacturer boxes aren’t made for mainstream shipping services. Those companies are a bit rough with packages.

Well, here’s hoping it arrives and all goes well.

PCM2

I don’t blame you for taking the plunge – a few others have as well. I hope your theory is correct that it’s basically a ‘retailer special’ for Amazon and possibly a select few others. I think LG were finding the competition from the slew of much more affordable options were drawing too many people away from the 34GN850.

Hopefully it hits the spot and you enjoy the experience. And you’re quite right about single-boxes being an issue. A few of the PR companies who send me monitors will double-box (Philips and AOC are very careful about doing this) to help add extra protection. A single box often isn’t enough with the sort of rough treatment the monitor can receive during shipping and it has caused a number of review samples to go out of circulation due to damage. Pretty expensive and wasteful when another box and a bit of padding could’ve prevented that!

uncia

I’ll let you know how it goes. It took a couple days just to ship, so that suggests all U.S. distribution centers were out. They must be selling fast. LG needs to quit underestimating the popularity of their new monitors. There are a lot of use cases like mine in the world where someone is a professional who wants a monitor for both work and play. Having the ability to get colour accuracing from a monitor that also works for gaming is the sweet spot that’s been overlooked for too long. Everyone is wanting these. With more and more people working from home, I only see the demand growing. I imagine a lot of us can use the purchase a work expense for tax purposes. It’ll be interesting to see how well LG keeps the 34GP83A and 34GN850 in stock, not to mention the two 27-inch Nano IPS monitors. Are you going to be reviewing the 4K model?

To get back on topic, if LG has kept up their quality control with the latest releases, this should prove interesting. The 34-inch ultrawides fit a lot of needs, and the prices closing between IPS and VA options will make things better for everyone. You won’t have to make sacrifices for a cheaper, worse screen because the alternatives are twice the price. I’m guessing the old GK950F will be sold until supplies run out? I can’t imagine a need to produce it anymore. Strangely, the G-sync version never seemed to sell as well, even though its price went lower after a while due to that very fact. One thing that might help buyers with G-sync models, those that have the actual module, is cross compatibility with other adaptive-sync technology. Then people wouldn’t have to worry about having a G-sync monitor that may not work with FreeSync in the future if they ever switch to AMD. That is, if AMD manages to come out with something good this time around. With RDNA2, we can all hope. I’ll tie this up now so as not to expand any further. Thanks for all your help, sir. Let me know if the affiliate credit went to you, btw. I followed your link.

PCM2

I’d like to review the 27GN950, but unfortunately LG doesn’t seem to have a functional PR team here in the UK at the moment. They just slip a few models out to influencers or others who will write glowing reviews. They’re not interested in thorough and potentially critical reviews from the likes of this site, it doesn’t fit their current PR strategy. That might change and I have been in contact with them, but haven’t yet had a positive response. I think they’re under quite a lot of financial pressure at the moment and they’re being rather protective of their review samples. Or at least not as open as they have been in the past. I did consider buying the model myself and seeing if I liked it, reviewing it along the way. But I personally much prefer ~32″ screens at that resolution and I know that would be grating on me if I actually purchased a 27″ model. I still like 27″ ‘4K’ UHD screens, but I find ~32″ models just that bit better. Oh and yes, I do personally really enjoy 34″ 3440 x 1440 UltraWides as well. I hope you feel the same way with the 34GP83A. And I look forward to your thoughts on it when you’ve had a bit of time to work and on it.

The sale was credited appropriately – your support, as ever, is appreciated.

uncia

The 34GP83A arrived this week. I wasn’t able to do much testing early on due time constraints involved with work. Once I was able to take some more time with it, I noticed a few thing worth mentioning.

The colour is fantastic. I don’t mean the oversaturated wide gamut. I tend to use the AMD setting that restrains it to sRGB just for design and photography uses. I realize the wide gamut is nice when you need it, but a lot of content doesn’t translate well to it. Having the option is nice, and it will offer me the chance to work in the DCI-P3 colour space in the future if that ever becomes a standard. Though I’m not sure whether that will be a thing considering how long sRGB has remained the standard even as technology has vastly improved. I also find it odd how restrained the colour space for digital displays and photography has been when compared to television and video, but that’s another subject for another time. As for the colours here, once in sRGB-ish mode through the AMD software, it looks very accurate. I’ve not calibrated it this early on, that requires an additional calibration tool. I’d wanted to find “the” monitor first. I’d say it’s very close to matching my fairly perfect old monitor. I call it perfect as far as the colours matching my print workflow with photography. It’s pretty old though, so take this with a grain of salt. Perception is subjective, of course. I like the colour temperature as well. It seems very close to 6500K using Gamer 1 mode with Gamma mode 2 and the default colour temperature setting as “custom.” This is only slightly different from warm, the two nearly imperceptible from one another, but I prefer the slightly more neutral custom setting it started out with.

Brightness is intense. So I currently have it set to 30 with contrast at the default 70. That might go down to 65-60. I’ll see how my eyes handle the intensity. I don’t have a use for HDR right now. It’s not really HDR on this model anyway, but it’s nice to know I could at least try it in the future if Windows and other tech ever gets up to speed. Most content out there doesn’t use it, so I’m not worried. The colour space options and improved brightness of the backlight are positives regardless. True, I have the brightness turned down, but it’s always better to have more headroom than none at all.

Responsiveness is on par with the LG 27GL850. Everything feels smooth and fluid. That’s another reason I wanted to upgrade. 75Hz on my old IPS was killing me. It often felt like stop-motion watching videos with how slow the pixel transitions were. I noticed this all the more on the monitor I’ve been using from work during the pandemic, as we work from home part of the time. That is a newer IPS with okay colours but terrible everything else. Watching content on it has been almost painful. So the LG is a sight for sore eyes, so to speak. Everyone can laugh now.

I know it’s strange for someone to purchase a “gaming” monitor for design and photography, as well as just general use purposes. Yet the fluidity of movement, even with just scrolling, is more than worth the upgrade in refresh rate. The vibrancy of the display in general is beyond anything I’ve ever seen, short of the aforementioned 27-inch nano-IPS display. I suppose there’s no point in trying to compare it to OLED as that’s a pipe dream likely never to come to mainstream displays. LG’s 48-inch OLED TV is way too expensive with some drawbacks otherwise. I’d considered it, but I could afford a new PC and monitor for what that thing costs. With the paltry 1-year warranty of LG products, it wasn’t worth it to me. So here’s the monitor that finally hits the sweet spot and ticks off most of my wish list boxes.

Now, there are the flaws worth mentioning, as is always the case. There’s far more backlight bleed than I noticed on the 27GL850, and I tried two of those. This is in all four corners and really bleeds into viewing of dark scenes, or just working with dark content itself. I hate how it washes things out. This is worse than the IPS glow, though tends to blend with it to be almost mingled, if that makes any sense. If I were to only use the 16:9 area of the center of the monitor, it would be perfect. Blacks are very good in that regard, IPS glow isn’t an issue, and there’s little if any backlight bleed. So be aware that the curved ultrawide nano-IPS panel still isn’t perfect when it comes to these things. It’s probably a step up from the 34GK950F, but there’s definite BLB and IPS glow to contend with. Playing the panel lottery game, as they say, might give buyers a chance to sidestep this, but it’s really irritating to have to try that. I also think Amazon are catching on to people’s efforts to return monitors for replacements for this reason. I’ll touch on that in a moment.

My experience has not been without some hiccups. On the second day of use, my PC had a sudden crash. This never happens. It’s virtually not happened in the time I’ve owned it. I’ll sometimes go weeks without rebooting. I just don’t have crashes. So that was strange. I understand my video card is nowhere near as powerful as what is needed for this kind of monitor. It could never handle trying to game on it, so that will be a consideration in the future. It’s a good thing AMD is releasing new video cards right after nVidia this year. So prices of current models should go down. For normal desktop use, the card I have is more than sufficient with this display. I only notice the GPU usage at max around 30-40% with a varied workload, say a few browser windows, a YouTube video playing in one, Discord open, etc. Just basic stuff. That’s with videos playing at 1080p or 1440p, whatever is available. So it’s more than capable of managing 144Hz 3440x1440p with general PC use. It also has DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0. So that’s not an issue.

I was a bit worried in the beginning. I wasn’t sure what caused it as I wasn’t using the computer at the time. I came back from the other room just in time to witness the idle PC crashing and restarting. I tried updating AMD’s drivers, which is not something I do often unless there’s a good reason. I think people know that once you get drivers that work for you, updating them just “because” can sometimes cause more problems than it’s worth. At least this is definitely the case with AMD. The updated drivers made no difference. Not an hour later there was another strange occurrence. The display went all wonky, becoming garbled. So I tried unplugging the DP cable and plugging it back in. The 34GP83A popped up a message stating there was no input signal detected. So I had to force shut down the PC. At this point I was even more concerned. Once I was back in Windows, I was going through various settings trying to figure out what could be causing the issue/s, but nothing was coming to the surface that explained anything. Surely the DP input isn’t faulty, I thought. I was near giving up for the night, hoping not to lose anymore sleep, which is coincidentally when I noticed Windows try to put the monitor to sleep. It’s set in power saving features to do this after an hour. The signal was gone when I tried to wake it back up, and I had to force shut down for a second time.

Feeling fed up with the whole situation, I swapped out my old monitors for the night. I then spent two days using those as before, one via DVI and the other displayport. So I know that port is working on the video card. I ran through every test I could think of to see if I could get the same issue to crop up again, and it has not. This brought me to the conclusion there’s just something strange going on with the LG’s DP. I tried to submit a return request via Amazon to get a replacement, but for the first time I received a strange response to such a request. The site said that option was not available and asked if I wanted to speak with customer service. I entered a chat with someone who asked me redundant questions, obviously not tech savvy, and was told I’d have to be direct to speak with LG support. I was a bit baffled. It could be something specific to this model if it is truly an Amazon-only special. I wonder if there’s not much margin for them and they’d be losing money on it. The current cost is higher than I paid, but I can’t say for sure what the reason for their refusal was. I don’t want a refund, I want the product. Yet I can either try to deal with LG support to troubleshoot or possibly an RMA, or I can return it for a refund through Amazon. If I reordered then, I’d have to pay the higher price. I spent the better part of my lunch break in chat with the associate, but he never was able to get me the LG support contact information. I had to head back to work before he did so, and I even asked him to email it to me. I haven’t received anything.

I like Amazon and still hope to resolve this. I’ve spent the night trying the LG monitor again, hoping there’s just something inexplicable going on I can miraculously fix. It’s unlikely. I know any moment my PC might crash again. I’m trying another, higher quality DP cable. Perhaps the one that comes with the monitor was faulty? It wasn’t the first thing I considered, but I’m giving it a go.

Meanwhile, it’s worth mentioning there were a few things missing from the retail product box. The USB hub cable and HDMI 2.0 cable were nowhere to be found. The quick start guide specifies everything included with the monitor, and the three cables were clearly supposed to be in the box. I would need the HDMI cable if I wanted to connect another device, and I can’t use the USB hub feature without their cable, with the warning in the quick start guide not to use any other cable than the one provided. I understand these aren’t incredibly expensive cables, but it’s nice for them to be included with a monitor in this price range. That’s especially the case since they’re supposed to come with it anyway. I think this may be an early adopter issue with a new model coming out. Someone clearly forgot to put them in the box. So it probably won’t happen to many if any others who buy this monitor.

If I do end up having further issues, crossing my fingers here, I’ll end up having to return it for a refund and wait for its price to go back down before trying to purchase it again. I don’t want to deal with LG and their RMA process. I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about such things. It’s one gamble you end up making in buying something from LG. If this were a few months down the line, I’d have no choice. Right now though, I’ve had the monitor for only a few days. I should be able to return and get it replaced. So we’ll see how things progress. I’ll update this thread soon to follow up and let you know if the issues continue.

Final verdict: The display is fantastic, though you will most likely have backlight bleed in all four corners and some IPS glow. I doubt you can get away from this with a curved IPS ultrawide. The displayport issue is a headache. Let’s hope it’s not common with his model, or perhaps it was just the cable. Perhaps I shouldn’t be so upset with LG for not including the other two cables. If you need a good monitor for design or photography, videography, etc., as well as highly capable of gaming, I think this is a great option. Whether it’s worth the premium over VA options will come down to preference. I realize they’re half or less the cost, yet this model appears to be LG’s attempt to meet the competition in the middle with price. By all evidence available, it’s identical to the 34GN850.

Again, I’ll follow up with my continued experience. Thanks to Adam for having this site we can come to for all things monitors. I’ve learned so much from him and his reviews, not to mention the forums. I appreciate your continued effort, sir!

PCM2

Thanks again for providing some extensive feedback for others to benefit from here – and of course your kind words, it’s always appreciated. πŸ™‚

I’m glad that you’re enjoying the main expected strengths of the monitor – the colour reproduction and responsiveness. And you’re well-versed in the weaknesses and know what to expect there. Obviously it’s annoying to have additional dark uniformity issues rater than just your typical ‘IPS glow’, but you’re very right that such issues are quite common. It does sound very similar to the 34GN850, making it a curious addition indeed by LG.

I’m quite confused by how Amazon were handling your attempted return as well. Their usual policy would be to allow the return with little hassle. I guess the volume of orders and supply constraints that have accompanied the pandemic could have caused some hiccups there. Or maybe they do have some strange deal with LG on this one that means they try to get LG to handle things instead. I hope you’re somehow able to get to the bottom of the strange system instability issues. It’s always worth trying a better quality cable just to rule that out – I always test monitors with any included cable plus a high quality braided cable just to rule out potential issues there. You’re right that if the GPU supports the correct standard (yours does) and you’re not doing anything graphically demanding then you shouldn’t expect that kind of thing to happen.

uncia

You’re welcome, sir.

Well, it took a couple days using the new displayport cable, but the same symptoms cropped up again. As it appears to occur on different systems, and using different cables in this instance, taking a couple days to flake out, I can’t trace any other common denominator but the monitor. I’ve used other displayport-connected monitors, I’m currently back on the old one from work as well as the my ancient IPS via DVI, and there seem to never be any issues there.

I’d have adapted to the backlight bleed and IPS glow, but I can’t very well work with something that’s randomly and unexpectedly causing PC instability. I could go get another displayport cable, but after trying the original and a better quality one, I’m going to adhere to the process of elimination and focus on the monitor.

It’s a beautiful display. So this is disappointing. I’ll see if Amazon will allow a return and replacement one more time, but if they refuse, I’ll have to return it and give up for the moment. I don’t know if I’ll have the gift promotion discount returned from signing up for the Prime Card. I’d wait to apply it to another of the same monitor if the price goes down, but I’m not feeling too hopeful. This is an unfortunate outcome. I’ll hope for the best though.

Thanks again for your help. I’d still recommend the monitor. It’s probably a fluke to have a bad displayport, but there’s nothing else I can fathom that could be causing the issues I’m experiencing.

uncia

I have a quick follow up. I haven’t gotten anywhere with Amazon, so I might have to simply return the monitor. I’m still not sure why they won’t replace it.

Meanwhile, I’ve been doing some research, and come to find displayport issues such as what I’ve been experiencing can arise from a problem with the number 20 pin. It can be used for powering things, but it’s meant to be passive in most cases. With a standard monitor connection it should not have power supplied. But sometimes a faulty displayport connection can send power through this pin. It can then cause anomalies like what I’ve been experiencing, or worse. Others have had GPUs killed by this. By everything I’m able to find, it seems like a faulty DP connection from the factory. As any other DP connected monitor I’ve ever used, including the one I’ve used for months now, has not had this problem, the only common denominator is the LG monitor. I know this is getting a bit technical, but it’s worth including with this monitor information just in case others who buy this model experience the same problems. I’m not an electrical engineer, so the reading can get a bit complicated on the subject, but it does appear to be something that occurs with monitors and video cards sometimes. One or the other will have a faulty DP connection and result in these issues. Due to the nature of the problem, it can have intermittent negative results. Powering off or on when going to sleep mode, voltage is sent through that pin, or simply a sort of long-term strain on the video card until it hits a failure point. As in, it receives that power like a slow static charge building up over time until the electrical interference within its circuitry finally is too much and something gives. At least, this is my layman’s take on what I’ve read.

PCM2

That makes sense. And I agree it’s an unfortunate fault with your unit and likely the DisplayPort on the monitor itself that’s causing these issues. I’ve had a few others buy it and one of them after seeing this thread. So you didn’t manage to put them off! πŸ˜‰ I think they agreed with the overall conclusion that it’s just a fault with your unit rather than a wider fault with the 34GP83A. I’m sure the user will give me some feedback, not sure if they’ll want to post on this thread perhaps as well. They’re upgrading from a 34GK950F so it would be quite interesting if they could share some feedback.

uncia

Let’s hope it works out for the buyer. I know I want to keep mine, but with the faulty displayport I have to send it back. I was really hoping Amazon would allow me to replace it. I was pushing the envelope of budget as it was, so losing the $100 rebate they offered the first time and paying the current $50 purchase price would put me $150 higher. This is probably why their website refuses to allow the return/replace option. I’ll try one more time and speak with customer service. Who knows, I might luck out this time. Sending the monitor back is heart wrenching. It’s just that beautiful. Fit and finish is on par with the 27GL850, so nothing special there. The stand is better though, with a nice inch lower minimum height, which had been a major gripe of mine with the 27GL850. I forgot to mention that before. So it was right where I wanted it. I also love the surface treatment. It’s anti-glare yet somehow incredibly glossy-like. The clarity is astounding. I was watching so much content the other night just because it was like seeing everything for the first time again. The contrast is also pretty darn good. If not for backlight bleed and IPS glow, you wouldn’t know it was IPS. I found the VA panels I’ve tried in the past had more of that VA glow ruining whatever perceived “technical” contrast advantage they’re supposed to have.

So we’ll see. I posted a revised overview of the monitor to Amazon copied from what I’d originally posted here. So perhaps someone from either Amazon or LG will see it and give me more consideration. I’ve been a prime customer for years. I’d really love to have this monitor. I want to hug it because it’s so good. I wish anyone else who buys one the best of luck. A glitchy displayport has to be a rarity. I just have that kind of luck. It’s not the first time. If anyone is going to get a faulty unit, it’s me. Don’t ask about the first computer I built in 2003 with a motherboard using a Via chipset for an AMD Athlon 1900+. Oh those were fun times! And people think they have driver issues these days!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 83 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.