LG 32GN600 impressions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.

• Author
    taxman

Sharing some thoughts on the LG 32GN600.

Mostly do casual gaming these days, use monitor more for reading and watching video so thought to myself why not get a VA panel. It has been a long time since I had owned one mostly using IPS over the past decade but I own an OLED TV so I’m familiar with how poor IPS is on contrast.

Didn’t care for curved VA panels and flat ones are hard to come by but the LG 32N600 was available and low price, other sites like tftc & rtings did look it so decided to gamble.

Got monitor and out of the box it looked way worse than my IPS BenQ EX2780Q, very washed out in comparison. Applied the recommend settings from both reviews which didn’t really solve the problem.

Then I looked at pc monitors info old reviews of LG VA panels and noticed you set gamma to 3.

After altering the gamma value on the LG to 3 than it was much better mostly matching the BenQ but still a little off, dark elements like windows task bar were darker on the BenQ than LG.

I had both monitors side by side in clone display both at 1440p 120hz so was staring at both comparing them.

Tried out The Ascent a game with lots of dark scenes and struggled to see any difference,

Tried out a few others with dark scenes Crysis 3, Terminator Resistance, Rez Infinite, Quake, and still struggled to see any difference side by side. The one case were it was noticeable was in Turok 2 were scenes with shadows had more depth.

G-Sync did flicker but only a little bit in one game I noticed so not a deal breaker (for me).

Reading text was fine it wasn’t as sharp as the 27ā€ BenQ but this kinda gave it an advantage I suppose the fonts on screen were larger and softer, that might be pro/con to some, I bumped the sharpness from 50 (default) to 60 which helped a little.

Colours were not as good as the EX2780Q, in fact they look quite dull in comparison.

Struggled to see any difference in youtube/twitch which is were I thought Iā€™d see the most difference.

So consider me quite surprised the BenQ EX2780Q came out on top but contrast on the LG 32GN600 never popped out to me, maybe there was something I missed but I did try all the settings I could alter.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the 32GN600, Taxman.

Sounds pretty mixed to me. With respect to colour reproduction there will be significant differences when comparing a VA panel with 95% sRGB colour reproduction to an IPS-type panel with 95% DCI-P3 colour reproduction (EX2780Q). If you’re using sRGB emulation on the BenQ that will even things out a bit more, but you’ll still get much greater colour consistency on the BenQ with lower saturation loss further down the screen or near the extreme edges for example. This also affects gamma and can therefore make very dark shades other than black appear lighter than intended peripherally on the LG – the taskbar would be a good example of such an element.

The contrast of the 32GN600 / 32GN650 at ~2600:1 (going by TFT Central as a reference) is not really in spectacular contrast territory by any means. Around double that of a good unit of the BenQ, but that isn’t such a profound difference that you’ll always notice it – if you stare at very dark content in a dim room that should make the differences clearer. But even then you won’t see things looking ‘deep and inky’ on the LG by any means. And due to the pretty restrictive colour gamut plus colour and gamma consistency issues I identified, certain more colourful elements will actually ‘pop’ more on the BenQ. That can also affect perceived contrast.

taxman

Yeah thanks for the info that explains a lot, I think I will sell the 32GN600 onto someone I know.

I took some crappy camera pics that show what I was seeing.

I guess I will have to wait until flat Samsung VA becomes a thing or IPS + miniLED becomes affordable, would that actually help with SDR desktop ?

PCM2

That looks like quirky gamma calibration plus VA panel gamma shifting to be honest. The flat AUO panels (as used in the 32GN600 and earlier models like the 32GK850F we reviewed) certainly have some issues with respect to viewing angle related gamma shifts, though I don’t feel they were substantially worse than the curved alternatives really. With large VA models like this the peripheral regions of the screen are naturally at a relatively sharp angle if you’re sitting centrally, so the gamma shifts can be quite pronounced. It definitely looks like your unit is having some issues for more central regions as well so I certainly think this is partly due to poor gamma calibration. Samsung doesn’t make any LCD panels any more, they’ve passed on production (and their ‘recipes’ for various panels) to the likes of AUO and CSOT.

Even if gamma calibration is perfect on a VA model and it’s the strongest VA model out there for gamma consistency (i.e. how similar perceived gamma is throughout the screen), IPS panels are simply much stronger in that area. And this will affect the representation of dark shades (other than black) and detail levels, as well as saturation. Always something I like exploring in my reviews and not something a colorimeter or similar device will reveal which is why most reviewers won’t cover it. Mini LEDs or very complex FALD in the future should certainly help provide a much stronger experience in that area. But even with 1152 dimming zones, as you get with the PG32UQX, the local dimming isn’t really something you’ll generally want to use on the desktop. I don’t think the tuning (its algorithm) helped in this case either, but ideally you’d have even more dimming zones than that if you really want to use this as a set and forget setting. Which you could also use when you’re just on the desktop rather that playing games or watching movies. Too many flat areas of shade which make any inconsistencies and the fact the dimming zones are far larger than the size of a pixel very obvious.

A few things to note:

– You could identify if the gamma calibration is poor by taking the photo from >1m or so back and staying as centrally as you can – that will largely eliminate the gamma shifts and only poor gamma calibration should be evident.

– Try Lagom’s Black levels test from a normal central viewing position (how far do you usually sit from the screen, incidentally?) If you can clearly see the first 3 blocks against the background then the gamma calibration is off. If the first 3 blocks appear blended (so are not at all easy to see if visible at all) then it’s likely the gamma calibration is fine. In fact with VA models some of the other blocks on the first row should be a bit more masked than normal due to ‘black crush’.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.