LG 27GL850 thoughts/review?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.

• Author
    HigoChumbo

I’m looking for a monitor for my new desktop (2060 Super, so 4K and I guess ultrawides are out of the question) and I’ve come across the new LG 27GL850, which looks like a perfect monitor in every sense save for one major caveat… the terrible ~800:1 contrast ratio (well, and bad black uniformity)

As someone who values immersion over professional grade FPS performance… this is really holding me back, but my lack of experience with IPS (I come from a cheap 75Hz, 3000:1 VA Iiyama) makes me wonder if I’m being a bit too paranoid about how much that lower contrast will affect how nice the image looks, how much the colors pop out and ultimately how much that could potentially break my immersion and enjoyment if everything is too washed out.

Also, buying in Australia, unless I’m missing some good option, the only VA alternatives I’m considering are the LG 32GK650F (can’t find the Gsync versions or the newer 850) which has a 32’ screen (so bit too big and not ideal PPI) and seems to have ghosting issues, and the Samsung C27HG70, which looks ideal on paper but seems to be plagued by a myriad of issues.

Any thoughts on the IPS LG 27GL850? Will the contrast be good enough for immersive gaming or should I ignore it and go VA despite the reported motion issues? Keeping in mind that extreme ghosting and poor motion can be as immersion-breaking as terrible contrast.

Also, since with my 2060 Super I will realistically stay in the 50-100 FPS range most of the time (high/ultra 1440p) and given that, while I do enjoy online shooters… I’m definitely not going to be playing any professional tournaments… is there any lower refresh rate option I should really consider over the 144hz monitors since immersion is my main concern?

Ideally I prefer 1440p (better performance than 4K and better coding productivity than 1080p) and 27” (32″ would be acceptable but I’m not a fan of the big size and concerned about the PPI).

I just want my games to look as good as possible and wow me/suck me in and my text to be clear enough ‘^^

PCM2

Hi HigoChumbo and g’day,

The first point I’d like to address is your initial bold point. An average static contrast ratio of 836:1 was recorded by TFT Central for the LG 27GL850. Contrast of ~800:1 on an IPS model is a bit on the low side, but it certainly isn’t “terrible”. In fact it would be very difficult for users to tell the difference between that and an IPS type model with ~1000:1. And if reviewers told them it had a contrast ratio of 1036:1 that wouldn’t be questioned (without measurement by the user using a device). Uniformity varies between individual units of the same model and there are both good and bad examples out there for any model in that respect, unless it has a guaranteed minimum uniformity spec. Which is extremely rare unless it’s a very high-end model – or it would be done through a Uniformity Compensation mode which comes at the expense of contrast.

Aside from that, the 27GL850 offers vibrant and consistent colour reproduction, good overall responsiveness (including low input lag and decent pixel responsiveness for the panel type) and would really offer a nice overall game experience from what TFT Central has said. I do like to hold full judgement until I can review a product myself as I do look at some additional areas and like to confirm certain other aspects, but LG haven’t been able to provide a sample for us yet.

VA models with relatively strong contrast, such as the Samsung C27HG70, would certainly offer a better contrast experience than any IPS-type model with a single backlight unit or even basic local dimming. At ~2300:1 (plus a little situational boost with local dimming active, to around 3600:1) and without ‘IPS glow’ it’s in a different league. There are plenty of disavtangages to that model and plenty of problems which I won’t need to repeat for you again, but it still offers strong contrast, vibrant colour output and reasonable overall responsiveness. The HDR implementation, whilst not amazing, it actually quite decent and certainly better than most basic HDR implementations. Including that on the LG.

If you’re concerned about pixel density or text clarity, or even just physical size, that’s a good enough reason to avoid the 31.5″ models to be honest. In addition to the pixel density issues, the subpixel layout is problematic for text clarity – things will looks significantly softer than a 27″ WQHD model for multiple reasons. Even if you’re considering a VA model like the Samsung C27HG70. I also find the FreeSync LG models quite unimpressive, although the 850F at least gains some points for vibrancy from its generous colour gamut. That isn’t an advantage shared with the 650F, which is actually slightly newer (although only very slightly) rather than the other way around. And both models pale in comparison to their G-SYNC counterparts when it comes to responsiveness.

What I would suggest is to decide where your priorities lie. Drop the notion that ~800:1 is terrible contrast for an IPS-type panel and understand that it’s just a bit below average and won’t substantially change the experience. And then consider whether the strengths in colour consistency and responsiveness compared to the VA models are appealing. Plus, for me to make a few assumptions of my own, a lack of ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ and a smoother matte screen surface. Or whether the stronger contrast, HDR possibilities and curved screen of the Samsung are calling you. It’s ultimately your decision to make. Just to leave you with a few thoughts:

1) This thread takes a broad look at the TN, IPS and VA WQHD routes and considers various models including those discussed here.

2) I’ve followed the journey and thought processes of a user who was hesitant about the C27HG70 as well but finally went for it. He did go through a few units, but his persistence paid off and he’s ultimately happy with the monitor. This was originally documented on the forum, but the thread didn’t gain sufficient traction so was deleted.

P.S. I changed 27′ and 32′ to 27″ and 32″ in your post. Careful with your units – monitor screen sizes are measured in inches, not feet. 🙂

HigoChumbo

Hah, I’m European, Imperial units are not my strong suit 😛

Well wow, that’s an amazingly elaborate answer. Very well deserving my first ever donation to a website ^^ Seriously, you’ve altogether removed one of my three options… and after two weeks doing research and living in Reddit’s night mode, that’s a heck of a lot of time you’ve just saved me.

As for the 27GL850 contrast, I was not so concerned about the comparison with other IPS (most likely unnoticeable, as you say), but more about how much I might notice the difference after having spent 6 years in front of a -cheap- 1:3000 Iiyama VA monitor (even when it’s colors looked a bit undersaturated). The only IPS screens I have are an old Ipad and a cheap Soniq TV, which are not ideal for comparisons. I guess I’ll have to try and decide. The IPS look fine on the stores (seen a few Predators) but watching just Windows and low quality videos in a perfectly lit store it’s not a good way to tell.

I guess, though, that the Samsung being closer to 2000:1 contrast (without the dimming, which seems a bit gimmicky to me) is a point in favour of the LG IPS, since after all I wouldn’t be getting the best possible VA performance without dimming and maybe going from ~1000 contrast to ~2000 contrast instead of 3000 is not worth all the potential issues with the Samsung. Also, a bit concerned about GSYNC compatibility/performance in the Samsung, since I only have a mid-range RTX 2060 Super and I’ve read some disheartening opinions about it (both about the accepted Gsync fps range and performance and about the monitor having more issues out of the 100-120 fps range (which is where I expect to be most of the time with that GPU).

And still I’m somehow very curious about the Samsung. I guess I’ll do some final research about these two and choose. I’ll report back with whatever findings/purchase I make. Thanks again!

Reading the other threads in the meantime. =)

uncia

HigoChumbo, I’ve spent quite a bit of time trying to find the right monitor for my own purposes. I’ve tested multiple models and found all came up lacking for varying reasons. Comparing the vibrancy of IPS to VA, I didn’t find the former lacking. I was using the new 27-inch Acer, and I’ve lost track of model names at this point. They’re not made to be easy to remember. It uses an Innolux panel, I believe it is, and the site owner here did a review finding it had characteristics somewhere in-between VA and IPS, though it’s “IPS.” My workplace uses a blend of IPS and other varieties, and the IPS there are very lacking in contrast and brightness as well. I’d suggest this is due to the quality. I’m all over the place a bit here.

What I’m trying to get to is that I’d take an IPS with the intense colours and vibrancy and slightly less noticeable contrast over a VA that just … has frustrating interlacing patterns and text clarity that isn’t anywhere near as close. I do graphic design and photography, and I’d never want to do photo work on a VA. True, I only tried two models from Acer. So your mileage may vary.

From everything I’ve read, the LG 27GL850 finally does things right. Quality control is improved. LG is working out the kinks, so further delays in supplying it to market have cropped up. The few customers who were able to purchase them have posted glowing reviews thus far. The thing is, a manufacturer finally decided to make something that works, and not just on paper. BLB seems nonexistent, minimal IPS glow, and colours that just work. The monitor is calibrated from the factory, though it’s DCI-P3, I think, so will need changed if you want to match another colour space. I’ve decided that since the modern trend is toward that colour space, and my photos are all taken in sRGB, I’ll go that route instead of an Adobe RGB monitor. This way I get something more geared toward the future, but I can calibrate it for what I need, and keep a separate profile for regular use outside of photo editing.

This has been a long process. It began in December. So it’s involved a lot of research, not to mention trial and error. I’ve been waiting for months for this monitor to be released. I finally decided to wait for it after lackluster experiences with other models. From what I’ve seen so far, it looks like it will be worth it.

I doubt I’ll notice the contrast limitation, but the colour improvements will be noticed. HDR, well, that’s not even a real factor with this monitor anymore. It originally had been listed as HDR400, but now it simply accepts an HDR 10-bit signal. There’s no real point then as it can’t handle the brightness or contrast necessary for anything close to HDR or even simulated HDR. There’s really not a lot of reason to have that on a monitor unless you are playing very specific games, and even then you probably want to spend two to four times as much for a monitor that does HDR right. I’d rather compromise and get something that has taken care to do everything else right.

I may be talking outside of turn here, or even getting things completely wrong. I’m sure PC will let you know if I am. Best wishes in your monitor-buying journey!

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Uncia. No corrections needed from me, agree with your sentiments completely. In a world of compromise (i.e. the monitor world) the 27GL850 has a lot to offer.

HigoChumbo

Thanks a lot uncia, that’s truly some insightful input. I never thought I’d say this, but I’m leaning heavily towards giving IPS a chance despise the contrast (and the lack of usable HDR compared to my other option).

I decided to discard the LG VA despite having found the 32GK850G (Gsync version). The size is too big, the PPI a bit disappointing and apparently not great for text. Also, I’ve seen reports of the blacks looking greyish for a VA, and the colors don’t look very vibrant (I’m used to that with my old VA, but I expect more from 800 AUD monitor).

That leaves me with the 27GL850 (750 aud) and the C27HG70 (700 aud). I am truly curious about the Samsung, on paper sounds much better for my intended use (immersive games and movies), but it has too many deal breakers, most importantly the ridiculously high overshoot at lower fps… which is absurd knowing how the vast majority of gamers don’t have the luxury of owning a 2080Ti and (myself included) are most likely going to be playing in the 60-100 fps range at 1440p, which is where the issues are the worst. Even for games where you can consistently keep high refresh rates (say, League of Legends), it’s also not ideal since apparently the monitor also has issues past 120 Hz… Are we somehow expected to consistently stay in the extremely narrow window of 100-120 fps in ALL games?

The 27GL850 should in theory be similar due to not having a Gsync hardware module, but apparently the response times are so good that the lack of the variable overdrive is not a problem and the performance (the lack of ghosting) is good across the entire VRR range, though I would still love some better confirmation that the performance is also great in the 60-90 fps range and therefore the monitor is worth it for someone who is going to be stuck down there most of the time.

I swear… I paid 170€ 6 years ago for a 75Hz Iiyama VA and didn´t have any of these ghosting issues. I do play mostly slow paced games (like Total War), but I´ve also experienced very fast paced games like Battlefield or Rocket League with no motion issues at all… One would think that half a decade later and 300€ upwards things would be objectively better. Really makes me want to just get a ~60Hz monitor, which looks more than smooth enough to me, to get the VA immersion without any of the game-breaking overshoot issues… But I don´t even see any options that would be objectively better.

Still, no problem, I´ll make do in the meantime. I´m sure in one or two years monitors will be better and my wallet fatter 😉

Thanks again for the help guys, will come back to report about whatever I end up getting =)

PCM2

Good analysis/summary there. I’m not trying to put you off by any means, but I wouldn’t agree that “The 27GL850 should in theory be similar due to not having a Gsync hardware module, but apparently the response times are so good that the lack of the variable overdrive is not a problem and the performance (the lack of ghosting) is good across the entire VRR range”. Per the TFT Central review, the “Fast” setting is optimal at 144Hz but strong overshoot creeps in as the refresh rate reduces.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that it happens to the same extent with Adaptive-Sync enabled and the refresh rate dropping due to frame rate dropping. But I’ve used enough Adaptive-Sync models to know that it’s likely that there’s going to be some noticeable overshoot at reduced frame rates with Adaptive-Sync active, unless you use the ‘Normal’ setting. Hopefully nowhere near as bad as some of the other models, which is a good thing to hope for – but expecting this to be similar to a model where things are specifically re-tuned as refresh rate decreases (i.e. variable overdrive via G-SYNC) is unrealistic.

HigoChumbo

So technically… is there no other option than Gsync to avoid ghosting for people who are going to be stuck gaming at around 60-90 fps if in 1440p?

So all those (the majority) who bought mid-range cards are meant to either play at 1080p, or play with lower graphics at 1440p, or just pay extra for Gsync to avoid ghosting? Doesn’t this kind of mean that AMD is not even an option for high settings in AAA games at 1440p and higher? (given that their flagship card is normally around 90fps in modern games at high settings, not even ultra).

PCM2

Some models are better than others as you’ll see from our reviews of various FreeSync models. And you need to remember that, if you find overshoot problematic on the LG 27GL850G and you’re hovering around 60-90fps, then you can make a small change to improve things. Simply select the ‘Normal’ setting for ‘Response Time’ instead of ‘Fast’. That gets rid of the overshoot and offers a decent performance at those sorts of refresh rates and frame rates overall. It’s annoying having to manually set response time settings for different frame rate bands and it’s not as effective as a variable overdrive solution or as tightly tuned. But it’s still an option that’s available to you and a compromise that many users would be happy with.

When people finally get to use a high refresh rate model for themselves, they often find that the experience of running games at higher frame rates is more noticeable and useful than whacking the settings up to ‘Ultra’ or even ‘High’. This is more the case for multiplayer or PvP games where you want to be somewhat competitive. Overshoot or not, excellent pixel response tuning or not, there’s simply no substitute for high frame rates and refresh rates for a fluid gaming experience. Different strokes for different folks, the LG at least gives you some flexibility for both scenarios.

HigoChumbo

So I finally decided to give IPS a try and got the 27GL850 (both the Samsung C27HG70 and the LG 32GK850G had potential issues I did not want to deal with, though I have to say I’m still curious given I never had any problems with my old Iiyama VA). Some quick notes:

• Just some slight IPS glow in the bottom, not sure if that grants a return or not. It’s not a big deal most of the time, but it’s definitely more immersion breaking than VA’s corner color shift (which does not glow). Only really noticeable in dark scenes though.
    • The contrast is not as bad as I thought it would be, it’s definitely usable even in a dark rooms, though dark movies won’t wow anyone.
    • The resolution+size combo is gorgeous (1440p 27inch). I did check the 32″ monitors at the store and though they would be too big for desk use, but I won’t know until I have one on mine.
    • High refresh rate does make everything look snappier (like scrolling down in webpages), but it’s not as amazing as I thought high refresh IPS would be (for instance, quickly moving windows around in circles still look as blurry as with my 75Hz VA). Essentially it makes everything feel faster and smoother but not necessarily less blurry. Not sure of how much of this is due to browser stutter though. In games, I do notice it a lot if it’s under 60fps but personally can’t really see a night and day difference past that. I’ll have to do some better testing though.
    • Unless I’m missing something, Wide Color Gamut makes games look oversaturated, it might look nice in some instances but I find myself switching back to sRGB in others. I’ll test it in more games before making a final judgement though.
    • With this in mind, it really sucks that the response time modes are grayed out in sRGB mode. Don’t really know if that means they are completely disabled though.
    • There is no color shift, but there seems to be some kind of contrast/luminance shift in the edges when I move my head around that is more noticeable than VA’s color shift (it’s kind of like the IPS glow moving around and appearing in other parts of the screen along the top and bottom). The best way I have to describe it is having In that regard, I don’t really understand why better viewing angles are such a big selling factor in favour of IPS.
    • Faster mode does indeed add an extremely noticeable ghosting, I had never experienced anything remotely close to that in my VA. The other modes are fine, but honestly I can’t really tell the difference between fast, normal and off, not sure if it’s something I’d only see in games like CounterStrike and the like.
    • In faster I don’t see any issues in lower fps (around 70), but I haven’t really tested it yet.
    • The build quality feels really good to me, though the lack of swivel is a bit annoying, specially seeing how well the anti-glide rubbers work. It is quite hard to rotate the monitor without lifting it, which would be a great thing if it had swivel. Still, not a major issue. I personally really like the looks and appreciate the lack of gamey junk.
    • Don’t think I would have ever noticed this myself, but the lowest brightness seems not to be low enough for people around you to sleep comfortably. You’ll need dark mode and/or night mode for that.
    • Haven’t played around with HDR yet, but a 5 minute test with Horizon Zero Dawn makes me think it’s perfectly usable brightness wise but the only thing I noticed is slightly darker grass… Still, the game did look slightly better. Have never tried proper HDR so I’m not entirely sure how what to look for other than much better contrast (which was not there in the dark interiors).
    • The nipple is definitely the best thing that has ever happened to monitor technology.
    • By far the biggest leap has been resolution. Everything else is ok.

That said, I’m being nitpickily thorough, I’m definitely very happy with it and I don’t think I won’t have any issue using it until the technology advances more towards useable good contrast monitors (hopefully next year for the next gen launch). Hopefully I can get a good deal for a VA in Black Friday and do better comparison, because right now I have nothing to do a serious side by side (the only contrast test I can do is with my Samsung Amoled cellphone, which obviously looks far better when it comes to blacks).

And I have to say, after having watched my girlfriend playing Witcher 3 on PS4 on that cheap TV, playing it here with a much better system and monitor looks stunning.

I’m not sure if there are any important tests I should do to ensure everything is in order.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and quite an extensive list of findings there on the LG 27GL850. This really echoes just how subjective monitors are and how important it is for each user to weigh things up for themselves, as you have done. Not everybody finds the increase in refresh rate (and accompanying frame rate) to be as noticeable as others do. Everybody has a different threshold for that kind of thing, so for some 75Hz would be “enough” and it’s diminishing returns from there. Sometimes people find the upgrade up to 144Hz (from 75Hz) at suitable frame rates to be noticeable but not staggering in terms of visual fluidity (reduction in perceived blur), although perhaps more so in terms of ‘connected feel’. But once they go back to the lower refresh rate, then they often find things look really different and they start to miss the higher refresh rate. Everybody is certainly difference in their sensitivities to this sort of thing, though. This sort of sensitivity can apply to different overdrive levels – obvious overshoot (as with the ‘Faster’ setting) is far more obvious, so even users who aren’t super-sensitive to differences in frame rate and suchlike might still notice this aspect.

‘IPS glow’ is a characteristic of the panel, so that wouldn’t be a reason to return the monitor and they’ll all have it. Sometimes it can be “brought out” in a more noticeable way or added to by backlight bleed and other dark uniformity issues – and different units can certainly be better or worse in that respect. Your assessment on the wide colour gamut is correct. As explored in our reviews on models where it’s relevant, it increases saturation levels of ordinary content, which is typically created with the sRGB colour space in mind.

The expanded gamut gives the image a more “vibrant” appearance, with stronger depth and saturation. Some users like this look, but others prefer a more rich and natural appearance. The best use of wider gamuts comes from content which specifically targets it. HDR content, for example, is designed with the DCI-P3 colour space in mind – which is why you see technologies such as ‘Nano IPS’ reaching towards this. Although the HDR level on displays like this (plus how LG typically implements HDR on such models) isn’t really the best showcase of ‘HDR technology’. There’s still some enjoyment to be had from it, so by all means have more of a play with it under HDR and see how you find it.

Interesting observations on the lowest brightness setting on the 27GL850. It’s 55 cd/m² according to TFT Central’s testing, which is fairly dim although not super-dim. You can reduce the brightness further (for brighter shades) by reducing contrast on the monitor, which is an extreme measure you might need to take if you’re wanting to let others sleep in the room you’re using the monitor in.

uncia

With all of this new information, I’m pressed to question whether a monitor with this kind of colour production is able to be calibrated for photography and graphic design. Is this over-saturation going to be a problem? I’ve noticed you often state calibration results in better sRGB accuracy than simple sRGB emulation, if a monitor even offers that as a viable option.

I’m still considering this one. It’s still not available, but can be “pre-ordered” again on Amazon. LG stripped a lot of previously advertised features away prior to the weak release last month. So I’m wondering if they’re having issues with it and can’t get them ironed out. With the price premium you’d think LG would provide more than a 1-year limited warranty. Maybe they don’t have much faith in their products either.

Where is the OLED we all want? Seriously, are manufacturers unwilling to provide us with something that would sell like hot cakes? Look how much demand there is for this single monitor from LG in the mere hopes of getting a good high-refresh-rate IPS monitor in a market full of pricey compromises. You shouldn’t have to compromise at these prices. I look at my old AMOLED cellphone and find it looks better than brand new IPS displays on current generation smartphones. People worry about refresh rates on OLED, but I think that’s the least of my concerns.

Enough of my wishful thinking though. I’ll keep watching Amazon and probably give this model a try if it’s ever available. I’ve already waited 8 months to find a replacement. I can wait a while longer.

PCM2

I would recommend reading this thread on the topic. You need to cut down on the colour gamut using an emulation mode, which would ideally be on the monitor but can sometimes be achieved on AMD GPUs via the graphics driver (example reference). Calibration with a colorimeter or similar device does not alter the colour gamut, it isn’t possible to appropriately correct the gamut with that sort of correction. For photography and design work you must have a specific colour space which you want to work with in mind. sRGB or Adobe RGB are two popular ones.

The LG 27GL850 monitor doesn’t offer an Adobe RGB emulation mode, it wouldn’t cover the gamut completely in some regions whilst overcovering significantly in others. It does offer a reliable sRGB emulation setting for work within the sRGB colour space, though. And that would offer a good base for further calibration with that colour space in mind or would be decent to just use “as is” with a few simple OSD tweaks perhaps. It seems from available information (including this thread) that some controls are locked under that setting (response time and colour channels) but you can still adjust brightness which is really the thing you’d absolutely want control over.

uncia

Thanks, that’s a great option. I remember reading that entire review when you posted it, but my short-term memory is terrible these days. I have an AMD GPU, so that might be a good option. Thanks for the tip.

Adobe RGB is more than I’m equipped to deal with. I shoot in sRGB. You need software that works in that colour space, and I know I’ve read on your site and others that there are lots of factors to consider. It’s a whole other medium involving specific equipment from hardware to software to make it work. Then you’re counting on a printer handling the colour space. I wish I had that kind of money, but we all have to know our limitations.

If I end up with the LG 27GL850, I’ll let you know how the AMD driver setting works. Thanks again. I’ve got your Amazon link, so the purchase would have you as referral. I know I only bought the CPU, RAM, and video card in the past using that referral link, but every little bit helps?

PCM2

Indeed it does, your continued support is very much appreciated. 🙂

uncia

Certainly. I went ahead with the pre-order through Amazon, using your link. I hope it registers. I also added a PMW case fan to help with cooling. I hope LG gets these monitors out soon. It’s a good sign that they’re allowing ordering again, so that’s something. I did this with that last Acer when it wasn’t available, and it showed up in less than two weeks. So here’s hoping. I’ll come back to update this thread when I’ve received it.

PCM2

I appreciate it. The demand on the 27GL850 is certainly outstripping supply, I’ve been watching Amazon’s stock levels for a few weeks. It seems to only go in stock for a few hours at a time (if that), so they must just have relatively small batches at any one time.

And I might as well mention this here – I have requested a review sample of the LG a number of times now. But LG have continued with their perpetual restructuring of their PR teams here in the UK. And unfortunately, at the moment, it seems impossible to get any review samples from them. TFT Central’s unit came from retail stock rather than the usual method (via a manufacturer directly or via their PR team). So it seems it isn’t just delivering sufficient monitors to satisfy consumer demand that’s an issue over on LG’s side at the moment.

uncia

Short of having passable HDR, reviews from actual purchasers seem good so far. I don’t know what else to try at this point, so I might as well chance it. At least we know the referral link worked, so this order is being credited to you. I had both items in the cart prior to using your link, so here’s hoping.

LG isn’t being great about customer support in general. They drug out release of this monitor, took down the product preview page on their website, and wouldn’t directly answer questions people asked there while it was up. Then they’ve removed some features that were listed prior to the release. Now, they can’t manage to produce enough to meet demand, which reminds me more of a CPU issue where say Intel can’t manage to produce enough of a certain model … which never happens.

The only online reviewer I know of who’s managed to get a review sample was Linus. That’s considering TFT Central had to purchase theirs as you’ve said. It could very well come down to their intensifying quality control to the point where not many of this model pass the mark in order to be shipped out. It is a new LCD process as well, which might be similar to the CPU issues I mentioned. They may not be able to produce enough panels using the new process to meet demand. It’s the growing pains of technology, I suppose. Yet the fact is that there is such a demand in the market for a truly good high-refresh IPS that if they do this right, they’ll be able to build a reputation on it. Seeing as all monitor makers have created a negative impression of “panel lottery” to get a tolerable unit, maybe this is the turning point.

I’m hopeful anyway. Though checking other online retailer websites, some estimate November availability. I’d be truly disappointed if I had to wait that long.

sayhejcu

As a Samsung 27 inch CHG70 user this LG monitor made me excited for monitors again 🙂 It’s probably not as good as my monitor (except adaptive sync) but i wanna try it.

Contrast, ips glow and black uniformity big deal breaker but response times and adaptive sync seems perfect.

I don’t know what to do. Isn’t contrast the most important thing when it comes to picture quality ? My CHG70 has no ghosting issue at 144hz. It also has quantum dot, 10 bit and acceptable hdr performance.

What is your thoughts @ PCM2 ? Am i missing something? Va monitors, especially CHG70 (if it comes without any defect) looks like easily the best choice out there if you don’t mind sacrificing adaptive sync which is not a huge deal with 144hz monitors. Which 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor has the best picture quality you think ? I haven’t compared my VA monitors with high end IPS side by side.

PCM2

There’s no such thing as a single most important factor when it comes to picture quality. Everybody weighs things differently when it comes to importance. For some people pixel density is extremely important, for others it’s having consistently rich and vibrant-looking colours throughout the screen and for others it’s strong contrast. And for some, good motion handling is also important as they like to admire “good image quality” during motion as well. So you need to weigh things up for yourself, against your own preferences. Contrast and lack of ‘IPS glow’ is the key advantage of the Samsung over models like the LG 27GL850, but the colour consistency, responsiveness (and if being picky, lack of ‘interlace pattern artifacts’, likely better uniformity for lighter shades and smoother screen surface) are all advantages in the LG’s favour.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.