Is Asus PA278QV a good middle ground for photo editing and gaming?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    ragematt2002

Hey, sorry to bump this thread, I just purchased this monitor based on the recommendations as I wanted a fairly cheap 1440p monitor for work and light gaming and this ticked both. In your review you list ed some calibrated settings, I know we should use our own but I was a little confused by the color gain settings you listed :

Color – R Gain= 100

Color – G Gain= 98

Color – B Gain= 95

My screen looks over-saturated and washed out using these settings, I noticed in the Rtings review they used 49-51-55 when calibrated, am I missing something really obvious here on those settings?

PCM2

Hey ragematt2002,

Don’t apologise for bumping the thread. Especially as you’ve pointed something out that needs to be corrected in the review and I should have spotted! Those colour values were for a different model, the review has now been updated with the correct values for the PA278QV. ’50’ is the neutral point so indeed having the channels near ‘100’ would look horrendous. The correct value for our unit were:

Color – R Gain= 46

Color – G Gain= 50

Color – B Gain= 50

wilsontng

Hi,

Im considering between the PA278QV and the U2520D.
          I’m looking for image quality and vibrancy when consuming media.

Between these two, which one is better?

Thanks in advance.

PCM2

Hi wilsontng,

A few points to be aware of:

– The U2520D has a wide colour gamut – if you like strong vibrancy, as you suggest, you may like this look. For content creators wishing to work within the DCI-P3 colour space, this is also useful.

– The U2520D has a tighter pixel density and smaller screen size. Personal preferences come into play here and I share some thoughts on the 25″ 2560 x 1440 (WQHD) experience in our review of the U2518D.

– The U2520D offers (very basic) HDR support. I wouldn’t base a purchase decision on this, but it’s still a ‘bonus’ to consider.

wilsontng

Thank you for the response.
              After some research I found a side by side comparison on YouTube.

Nothing much of a difference but based on the video, the dell might be a touch more vibrant (both at standard settings)

Here in Vietnam the U2520D just dropped to $300, while the Asus still retails at $310 which is the reason why I’m considering between both of em.

PCM2

I believe the ‘Standard’ setting on the Dell actually offers sRGB emulation rather than using the native gamut of the monitor. That’s how it worked on other UltraSharp models such as the U2719D, with gamut restriction as part of the full ‘Standard’ calibration. Either way, you wouldn’t be able to judge the impact of the much wider colour gamut of the U2520D on a video. What you’re seeing depends on the camera used to shoot the video, the processing done by the video editing software, the processing done by YouTube and ultimately the screen you’re viewing the video on. In no way do you get a remotely accurate representation of how the screens look in person. You can see they look ‘different’, but you certainly can’t see the real nature of that difference. There’s a good reason I make this disclaimer at the start of my own videos and also why I don’t generally provide side by side comparisons. They can highlight certain aspects, but when it comes to comparing models with vastly different colour gamut they’re misleading at best.

You’re comparing the PA278QV with 81% DCI-P3 coverage to the U2520D that has 95% DCI-P3. That’s a massive difference. There are no two ways about it, this isn’t a subtle difference in colour representation or vibrancy – so if you like a vibrant and strongly saturated look to things, the Dell is a clear favourite. If you prefer things to look ‘rich and natural’ and more as the developers intend, with just a touch of extra vibrancy. Then for the vast majority of content you consume (created for the sRGB gamut), that’s what the ASUS delivers. You might still describe the ASUS as “vibrant”, but saturation simply isn’t as strong as on the Dell. The backlight can’t physically achieve that. It might be worth comparing what we say in our review of the PA278QV with respect to colour reproduction and compare that with what we say about another IPS model that has 95% DCI-P3 coverage.

wilsontng

I’m not an enthusiast but after some research I kinda get what you are saying.

What I understand about the DCI-P3 is that it’s
                  1. Wider than sRGB
                  2. Useful for HDR and UHD stuffs.
                  3. For normal media consumption (created around sRGB), 95% sRGB coverage does the job.

-> Does the 95% DCI-P3 on U2520D makes any difference on normal media consumption?

Just got back from the store, luckily they got a PA278QV for display, I like the color, size, and resolution.

PCM2

95% sRGB is quite undersaturated, actually. But the good news is that very few modern backlight offer less than perhaps 98% sRGB coverage and usually provide 99%+. With a bit of over-coverage common as seen with the ASUS. I’ve answered your question already regarding 95% DCI-P3 and what you’d experience there, so it’s worth re-reading what I said and following through with the links I’ve provided. Again, read our reviews of such models (I linked to one, there are plenty more) as they give a very clear idea of what to expect in that respect. Whilst games and movies are used as examples there, exactly the same applies to “normal media consumption” (i.e. browsing websites). That’s all content designed to be consumed within the sRGB colour space, so if the gamut is wider than that (e.g. 95% DCI-P3) you get the same oversaturation. In our newer reviews we also give some good visual comparisons by using the SpyderCHECKR 24 system to help demonstrate some of the differences. See for example the appropriate section of our Gigabyte M27Q review.

I’m glad you like the PA278QV, though, in that case don’t stress about the DCI-P3 option. I don’t see the point in diverging from an experience you were clearly happy with!

wilsontng

I’ll check out the review again.
                      If the Asus had the a type C port I’ll definitely go for it.

Never expect such prompt and informative replies.
                      I appreciate it. Keep up the good work!

PCM2

I can’t say when it will be released in your market, but that’s exactly what the ASUS PA278CV offers! πŸ˜‰

wilsontng

the QV was released last year, priced the same as the u2520D.
                          The U2520D was initially $370 now $345 ($499 in the US)
                          PA278QV is still at $385. ($300 in the US)
                          That’s the problem haha. Otherwise I’d have gone for the Asus immediately

In Vietnam we get product release pretty much the same time as global launch, so the PA278CV is already up.

mario24601

Does the PA278CV share the same low anti glare coating the PA278QV has? I’ve been looking for a glossy monitor but seems no one makes them anymore and sounds like you recommend the PA278QV due to low matte finish. Would be nice to have USB C on the newer CV version but only if keeps the same low anti glare look and feel…any expertise you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you

PCM2

The PA278CV uses exactly the same Innolux panel as the PA278QV (M270KCJ-L5B), so yes the screen surface should be the same. I’ll add a note about the panel used to the news piece. Whilst it isn’t quite the same as a glossy screen surface, I did find it one of the more agreeable matte surfaces out there. And you’re correct that actual glossy screen surfaces are sadly lacking in the market currently.

mario24601

Thank you, appreciate your fast reply! I am so glad I found your site, review, and videos! My wife probably doesn’t appreciate that I have been reading on your site for days now πŸ™‚

Thank you again, have a great day.

Edit: Just placed order for PA278CV, cant wait to try it!

samir.singh

Hello PCM,

Firstly I apologise for bringing up this old thread. I’ve been in a little fix about deciding which of the following to proceed with, the ASUS PA278QV or the Gigabyte m27Q.

I personally am leaning towards the ASUS PA 278QV considering the facory calibration it comes with and that it is a good middle ground for edits and for some gaming.

My purpose for the monitor is simply to to use it for colour correction on stills, very regular other student stuff and yes possibly for some gaming as well. I am not a pro in either of the fields, a mere enthusiast, however I believe in letting my creativity flow soon and getting more into editing. I would like to purchase a keeper rather than having to upgrade again.

This post has been very useful and the Asus ticks all boxes, just I have not been able to find a comparison against the Gigabyte m27Q. On your recommendations page, you do mention it first on your list. I guess its probably because of being launched recently that it wasn not on this thread earlier. Any light you may share would be greatly appreciated.

PCM2

Hi samir.singh,

You’re very welcome to bring up an old thread – in fact I encourage this. The main thing about the Gigabyte M27Q is its versatility. It offers a high refresh rate which can be nice (but not essential by any means) for a bit of gaming or a bit of extra fluidity on the desktop. Whilst it also offers 95% Adobe RGB coverage and 100% sRGB coverage natively. The ASUS PA278QV, in contrast, offers full sRGB coverage with just a little extension beyond and provides solid sRGB output ‘out of the box’ (or with a few OSD tweaks). With the Gigabyte, you’d need to use sRGB emulation for reasonable sRGB output, or ideally you’d need to calibrate with a colorimeter. The emulation setting of the monitor gives you some under-coverage and restricts things like colour channels so isn’t ideal to have to use for editing purposes.

The ASUS also offers more colour-specific controls in its OSD which some editors may find useful, including 6-axis colour and hue adjustment. It has regular RGB subpixels not BGR like the Gigabyte – BGR is a non-issue for most especially for image editing, but something to be aware of. The Gigabyte has a slightly smoother and lighter screen surface – though both models are quite good in that respect and will be more than adequate for most people. The ASUS also has better build quality (particularly the stand) compared to the rather basic and ‘plasticky’ Gigabyte construction. The Gigabyte offers USB-C (like the PA278CV) and KVM functionality, though the PD is limited to 10W and it only has 2 USB 3.0 ports vs. 4 for the ASUS. The Gigabyte also has DC power (external ‘power brick’) compared to the internal adaptor that the ASUS uses and I know some people can have a preference one way or the other. For example, they might like not needing to place a ‘power brick’ somewhere.

vipera_berus

My old Dell U2412M have died so I have to buy a new monitor. I’ve tried one Gigabyte M27Q, which had terrible blueish discoloration in one corner, bad pixels and a little worse text clarity because of strange pixel layout. I’ve returned it and ordered Asus PA278QV. First one had extreme backlight bleed visible even in daylight at 40% brightness and color temperature ranging from orange near left edge to cool white near right edge. I’ve exchanged it and I’m still not sure if I should keep second one. It doesn’t have serious backlit bleed problems but the lack of color temperature uniformity is still visible, lower part is somewhat warmer. It’s not visible when editing photos but white and grey are clearly not uniform while editing test or browsing internet, what drives me crazy because my very cheap old monitor was way more uniform. Is it possible to get something without visible color temperature uniformity problems under 500 EUR? I’m consedering getting another unit of PA278QV, BenQ PD2705Q or PA279QV. My usage is mostly text editing with some photo editing and a little of gaming (low end GPU so 75 Hz is enough).

PCM2

Hi vipera_berus,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s a suitable place. What you’ve discovered with unfortunate first hand experience is the not-so-wonderful world of modern monitor Quality Control (QC) – or lack therefor. There are no guarantees even with models far beyond your budget, so frankly if you enjoyed the PA278QV and feel it offers the kind of experience you’d like then I would persist and go for another. The boost from 60Hz to 75Hz is welcome in my view, especially if your GPU can run at such frame rates but can’t comfortably push beyond. Even on the desktop some will appreciate the improved ‘connected feel’ and slightly reduced perceived blur this offers. And ultimately, the PA278QV is still a model I recommend.

vipera_berus

Thanks for your reply. Can I except getting one without any visible discoloration? In every review I’ve read there are some color variations mentioned but without a calibrator I can’t tell if mine is similar or worse. I’ve tried taking photo, but it looks a little bit better than in person and having only the affected monitor it’s impossible to edit it to show how it actually looks.

https://ibb.co/jWvPQsy

PCM2

That looks quite normal to be honest, with an understanding that such issues are exaggerated in photos (I’m well aware of this from first-hand experience). Some will be a bit better, some are worse – again, no guarantees when it comes to aspects like uniformity. And the PA278QV is certainly no more prone to issues with white or light shade uniformity than the other models you’ve mentioned.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.