HP 25er vs Dell S2415H

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   HP 25er vs Dell S2415H

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  PCM2 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!
  • Author

Karma11
    Participant

I am looking to buy a glossy screen that is easy on my eyes for extended usage. I’ve read several anecdotes that glossy screens seem to relax the eyes and reduce strain.

It is said on this site that the 25er has a low haze treatment like the XW before it, but on Amazon it says anti-glare, not low haze. Do they have it wrong?

One review of the 27-inch version says, “Despite the impressive specs, large size and low price, the display isn’t working out great for me – at least not compared to the smaller monitor it replaced. Text appears pixilated. I can only get the refresh rate up to a max of 60hz and this is very low. The refresh rate indicates how fast the monitor flashes and at lower rates it causes eye fatigue. I noticed this almost instantly including a faint headache and I don’t think I’m going to keep it for this reason alone. I can also see spaces between the pixels and am (again assuming) that this monitor has a higher dot pitch (space between pixels) than a better monitor.”

Meanwhile with the Dell there appears to be some issue with lines: “I had the same problem with the lines. My 3rd purchase with this monitor gave me no lines.”

Which of these two do you like better and why, and which other glossy or semi-glossy screen should I consider? Eye comfort is my primary consideration.

December 27, 2016 at 11:24 am #41081

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi Karma11 and welcome,

– The 25er is the superior product, which is why it is featured on the recommendations section. The gamma handling and out of the box colour accuracy is better and pixel responsiveness slightly better (not that this was a huge weakness on the S2415H). It also seems that some Dell S2415Hs suffer from interlacing pattern artifacts similar to what we’ve explored and explained in some other reviews, such as that of the AOC i2468FXH.

– The 25er/27er features a low haze screen surface. That is anti-glare, it just has a very mild (i.e. ‘low haze enhancement’) treatment and is essentially glossy. I will update this article to better explain this as you’re not the first person to be confused by the terminology. The S2415H on the other hand is glossy with an anti-reflective treatment. It isn’t as effective at combating reflections (but still pretty decent) and doesn’t really offer any significant benefits over HP’s solution.

– Anybody complaining about the 27er (and this covers your other thread regarding HDMI vs. VGA) is likely comparing it to a model with much higher pixel density and/or haven’t set it up correctly. And crucially haven’t corrected the colour signal as detailed here. Complaining about the fact a 60Hz LCD is 60Hz as advertised is also nonsensicle. Refresh rate has no bearing whatsoever on what the backlight does – the backlight is flicker-free as advised. These people would do well to pay a visit to our site and educate themselves about colour signal and the factors affecting monitor repsonsiveness. There is a fundamental difference between refresh rate and its impact on CRT and LCD monitors.

December 27, 2016 at 11:46 am #41084

Karma11
    Participant

Excellent, wonderful reply. Thank you.
    The reason I was unsure about the accuracy of the Amazon site is because for this model, the XW, they say low haze? For the others they simply say anti-glare. So with the ER series are they all low haze with the same treatment as the 25 and 27 versions of the XW?

I assume the 21.5 and 23 and 32 inch XW monitors have a much more matte finish. Is this correct?

Here’s one very positive review for the Dell:

“Ultimately I would absolutely LOVE to re purchase another S2415H Glossy IPS. I love this monitor so much, its so perfect compared to any matte screen I have ever seen this thing is so clear its like starring into the face of god.

But my only 1 concern is the claims that when looking at a screen with reflections you will damage your eyes over time. But I dunno it feels sooo good staring at this screen for 6 hours at a time. No sort of eye strain or anything at all!!!!”

Also, how do these compare to the HP you like in terms of how glossy or matte they are? Dell U2515H and U2715H. They’re recommended as well. Are they very similar in this respect?

Finally, I am using a 22XW right now, which is too matte for me. Do you know if this model uses DC or PWM? I assume the 25er has a slicker screen finish and is a good improvement for my eye comfort.

December 27, 2016 at 12:28 pm #41085

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi again,

Please refrain from posting links direct to Amazon as they are in conflict with our own. The information provided for them comes from various notoriously unreliable manufacturer product pages. Allow me to be clear:

– The 22″ – 24″ models of the XW or ER series use regular matte screen surfaces (~25% haze).
    – The 25″ and 27″ models, whether XW or ER, use exactly the same ‘Low Haze Enhancement’ film. Observe the reflectivity on the video below of the 27ER, for example:

– The Dell U2515H and U2715H have light matte anti-glare screen surfaces. The haze value is around 18% and the surface texture light (un-grainy), but you don’t get that glossy ‘wet look’ that you do on the HP with the haze value being under 5%. You may find the recently updated matte vs. glossy monitor article helpful.

– I have no information on whether the 22XW is PWM free or not. As above, though, the screen surface of the 25ER will be a significant improvement for eye comfort if you’re specifically finding the graininess of the 22XW bothersome.

January 9, 2017 at 7:32 pm #41267

pixelz
    Participant

Hello,

First, I would like to thank you for the amazing and informative website. I will definitely support you in any way I can through your official links.

I am looking for a glossy monitor, ideally at wqhd resolution (but since such a monitor does not exist) I settled for buying a 1080p glossy for a multi-monitor setup.

With regard to the models this topic is about, I’ve been reading up on all of the positive user feedback regarding the S2415H. However, but I cannot find any info regarding the newer S2316H. I’ve seen you recommend the HP25er in your recommendations section but where does the S2316H fit in the picture? Have you had any experience with it, is it supposed to be a glossy but more upgraded version of the S2415H that can compete with the HP25er?

Any info, advice, comment or feedback, essential differences or even your recommendation of which one I should go for would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ros

January 9, 2017 at 7:37 pm #41269

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi pixelz and welcome,

One of the potential attractions of the S2316H, over the S2415H, is that it offers a ‘low haze’ (very mild anti-reflective) screen surface rather than a mild anti-reflective screen surface. It’s very similar to the ‘Low Haze Enhancement Film’ used on the HP 25er. I haven’t tested the S2316H myself as Dell never had a sample, but I have gained some user feedback that is sufficient for me to recommend the HP 25er over either Dell model.

– The 25er has gamma that is pretty much spot on where it should be, whereas the S2316H and S2415H both have some tracking issues. Odd ‘kinks’ in the curves which mean some shades are somewhat brighter and some somewhat darker than they should be.

– The 25er has a good level of pixel overdrive – enough to provide pretty much optimal 60Hz responsiveness. The Dell models have a weaker level of pixel overdrive and therefore have a little trailing from slower than optimal pixel responses. This is only minor, but still a disadvantage compared to the HP.

Overall I feel the HP is the most compelling option, unless you specifically dislike the aesthetics compared to the Dell models or for whatever reason want to shave an inch or two off the screen size.

January 9, 2017 at 9:35 pm #41271

pixelz
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you for the super quick and informative response.

One would imagine that the S2316H would be an upgrade to the S2415H. Gathering from your post however, it seems that it is not, color wise at least. What is also confusing is that the S2316H sells cheaper than the S2415H, perhaps Dell is taking advantage of the popularity of the S2415H.

Based on your post, most likely I will go with the HP. Even though I would prefer a black frame display, I prefer to have a better screen overall and sacrifice the black frame. On the other hand the HP25er doesn’t have VESA which would have been useful for a triple monitor setup on a single stand.

Thank you and regards

January 9, 2017 at 11:13 pm #41275

PCM2
    Keymaster

You can however buy a VESA bracket for the HP 25er, so it would work on said stand.

January 10, 2017 at 8:36 am #41279

pixelz
    Participant

Thank you! I didn’t realize there was an adapter for the HP25. That’s perfect! I will go with the HP25er.

For information purposes, do you know the model convention used for the HP in relation to year of release or quality for the er,es and xw. As I understand the xw is the oldest model but there’s not much info online relating to HP monitors for some reason. Relating to the er series, I have also seen a 24″ ea model listed among the available models, why the different naming?

Thank you for the amazing help

January 10, 2017 at 8:41 am #41281

PCM2
    Keymaster

I have no idea how the names are derived I’m afraid. They seem to just be random ‘cool sounding’ 2-letter pairs. 😉

February 20, 2017 at 9:15 am #41749

VeganMac
    Participant

Hi everyone,

first and foremost, I’d like to apologize in advance for my very bad attempt to speak / write English which I am usually not really used to (since I’m german lol).

I recently bought a Dell S2415H Monitor that I’m basically pretty happy with. The glossiness and clarity of the panel is exactly what I wanted, the measured sRGB-coverage (with my Spyder 4 Pro) seems very good, too, and I was lucky to get a panel that is pretty uniform with respect to luminance and white point / color temperature. I am very picky about that since uneven whites really annoy me. I even gave up the idea of owning an iMac (the non-retina version back then) because my delivered unit and basically all the other ones I checked in stores first-hand suffered from the „yellow-tint-problem“ where some part of the screen is MUCH warmer than the other, sometimes to the point of being orange.

So especially in that regard my Dell does impress me. But there seems to be one strange problem with my unit (or even all recent S2415H panels?) that is not mentioned in the original review on this site, but which I found per accident in an other review of an AOC-Monitor (also a 24-inch model): Certain colors / color shades are not even but consist of very thin vertical lines (in the AOC-Review they are called „interlacing lines“ and look EXACTLY like they are described there). Light blue colors (that are mostly are made up of the blue and green subpixels, I suppose) seem to be affected the most. You can clearly see very thin blue and green vertical lines „within“ one color, even from a normal viewing distance – which gets pretty distracting very quickly since many UI elements and icons of Mac OS use these light blue tones. Some orange shades are affected as well, but way less than the blueish tones.
    Oh, before I forget, these lines / interlacing patterns are present in the UI of the monitor itself as well (e. g. in the light blue volume bar), so the actual panel seems to be the issue.

I have owned quite a few monitors up to today (that all had their typical flaws), but I have never seen something like this before.

Does anyone here own a S2415H as well and could tell me about the quality of his or her panel? Is this a common problem of the series or of some 24-inch LG panels (both the Dell and the AOC monitors use LG ones)? Or did I just receive a unit with a very uneven subpixel structure (if that is even the cause for those lines)?
    The return window of my S2415H is already closed long since and except for this weird line issue, I am pretty satisfied with my panel. Besides, there are not a lot of glossy options available at the moment. But I would like to know if ordering a new unit and selling mine on eBay would be worth the hassle. What I am trying to say is: How great is the chance that I receive a flawless panel? Uniformity, backlight bleed etc. is like one thing, but I really do think that a monitor in 2017 should be able to display even colors.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Sorry for writing a whole novel as my first post!

February 20, 2017 at 9:21 am #41754

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi VeganMac,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as there is some mention of the interlace-pattern artifacts you describe. You’re not the first user to mention this and although I didn’t observe it on my sample, it could either be that very early revisions as I tested don’t have the issue or I was sitting too far back from the monitor to see them properly. Or perhaps I did notice them but chose not to highlight them as an issue – I really can’t remember, it was a while back. I am very sensitive to these, though, and now notice them on quite a few monitors I’ve tested. I understand how they could be troublesome and on a glossy screen even more noticeable in fact.

This thread also highlights an alternative which we now recommend above the Dell; the HP 25er (and similar models like 25xw, 25es etc.) These models are free from the ‘interlace pattern artifacts’ and are models which we specifically recommend in regions such as the US where they’re readily available. In Germany and Europe more generally, it can be trickier to get hold of. But if possible I’d try this route rather than hoping that you get an S2415H without the issue from eBay or somewhere like that.

P.S. Your English is absolutely fine, your post made perfect sense. 🙂

February 26, 2017 at 12:03 am #41797

Karma11
    Participant

Is this an updated version of the Dell S2415H? The S2415H is said sometimes to have vertical stripes. How common is that? I can’t tell. Any commentary on that? Also, does the Dell S2715H resolve any issues the S2415H has?

February 26, 2017 at 8:49 am #41799

PCM2
    Keymaster

Karma11, your questions are mainly answered here already. I’d advise reading through this thread, which you originally started.

Note that the S2317HJ (which you mentioned in the title of the thread you started and is now merged here) is simply a version of the S2317H with wireless charging integrated into the stand. And I have very little feedback on the S2715H, but it uses a completely different panel and in my experience with 27″ AH-IPS models you shouldn’t have any interlace patterns on that model.

February 26, 2017 at 11:35 pm #41802

Karma11
    Participant

I am right now trying out the 25er. I must say the polarized surface coating on the screen is unique and seems like a compelling improvement over past finishes. Is there a low blue light setting on the controls?

(I know the surface is polarized because I liked to use amber polarized sunglasses when using computers. Now if I wear sunglasses while on the computer I can only use non-polarized lenses, so the surface itself must be polarized.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.