Help choose a 1440p monitor

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   Help choose a 1440p monitor

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PCM2 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!
  • Author

ragematt2002

Hi I’m currently trying to find a new 1440p monitor, I will use if for a mix of media, gaming and general use and Dell’s 1440p IPS monitors keep popping up as recommended in reviews. There are 3 recent models I’m looking at but cant decide between them and what the main differences could be:
    u2715h
    up2716d
    u2717d

The most recent model is the 2717h but I heard the switch to a PLS panel has caused issues with input lag/responsiveness? I know the u2715h is fairly old now but still highly recommended but how does the up2716d stack up compared to the rest?

Any advice on these 3 would be great.

Thank you

February 5, 2017 at 10:31 pm #41554

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi ragematt and welcome,

The switch to the PLS panel isn’t a specific reason for higher levels of input lag, but rather the scaler used. Although sensitivity to input lag varies, the lower input lag, overall performance and price of the U2715H has earnt it a long-standing place in the recommendations section.

The UP2716D is a different product entirely as it is aimed at users who specifically require a wide colour gamut. If you don’t, then as covered in the review it isn’t really as suitable a choice as something like the U2715H. You have to contend with either oversaturation or undersaturation depending on the settings used. The overall balance is simply better for most standard (sRGB) content such as games on the U2715H.

February 6, 2017 at 9:09 pm #41568

ragematt2002

Hi thanks for the response, I’m definitely leaning towards the u2715h but how does the newer model stack up compared to it (u2717d) as I have heard some mixed things regarding it and build quality not being as good as the u2715h

February 6, 2017 at 9:42 pm #41570

PCM2
    Keymaster

Aside from the input lag difference, overall performance is very similar. Users do seem to be reporting issues with moderate backlight bleed more commonly, but I don’t have enough feedback to really consider that significant. Aside from that, overall build quality is in my opinion absolutely fine (you’ll hear mixed opinion on any product) and not something I could seperate it from the U2715H with. It’s really a question of whether the thinner bezels are worth the extra cost and higher input lag to you. I don’t think they should be, which is why the U2715H hasn’t been replaced in the recommendations section.

February 7, 2017 at 9:40 pm #41572

ragematt2002

Thanks for the info that’s what I thought, I’m going to pick up the U2715H it ticks pretty much every box right now it seems like the best choice, thanks for helping me decide!

February 9, 2017 at 7:49 am #41578

PCM2
    Keymaster

I look forward to your thoughts when it arrives. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.