Dell S2716DG vs BenQ XL2730 vs Asus MG279Q

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   Dell S2716DG vs BenQ XL2730 vs Asus MG279Q

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PCM2 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!
  • Author

Hydreks
    Participant

Hello guys

Recently It appeared clearly for me that it is time for a new monitor. My ProLite E2472HD served me for around 6 years. I have been following informations around web regarding IPS vs TN discussion. There is a lot of things to consider, however I narrowed my choice to S2716DG, XL2730 and MG279Q. Back in my mind, I still have such monitors as PG279Q or XB271HU or even AG271QG, yet there is a common problem with backlight bleed or motion blur, mainly because of bad QC.
    It’s not like I’m affraid of challenge regarding RMA metter, yet I would really appreciate “time-proof” screen without that much of possible trouble (if you know what I mean 😉 )

On my PC I play games and watch movies comparably. I like to enjoy a good TV series when I’m resting from Overwatch, BF, CS or single player voyages in Witcher 3, Resident Evil 7 and TES Skyrim.
    I’m on Win10. At the momentI’m using a 970 gtx, yet I’m planning switch for 1080 in incoming months.
    My preference for a screen, that is mandatory:
    27 inch monitor
    QHD (2560×1440 resolution)
    I would appreciate 144 Hz option, as I’m planning to use this for next 5-6 years (possibly)
    Extra bonus in the shape of gsync would be really cool.
    IPS or TN is a hardest choice.
    I’m aware of a huge amount of possible choices but I would really appreciate help in that matter.

Also I’m open for a new variants of monitors if there is any worth mentioning.

Thanks

February 6, 2017 at 6:41 pm #41566

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi Hydreks and welcome,

TN or IPS-type (AHVA in this case)

The crux of your choice, which I’ll cover first, is ‘TN vs. IPS’. To truly understand this in a way which is much better than I could summarise in a paragraph on this forum, I’d recommend taking a look at the video below. This shows the ViewSonic XG2703-GS (with its IPS-type panel) alongside a Dell S2716DG and I talk through the various benefits and drawbacks of each. I see it as such essential viewing when considering these two options on otherwise similar monitors, in fact, that it is part of the ‘Panel Types’ article.

A more detailed picture can of course be gained by reading our reviews of the models featured in that video and others like the AOC AG271QG. What is clear from all of this is that the IPS-type models offer definite advantages in terms of colour consistency – and when compared to the S2716DG specifically, in terms of better gamma handling without requiring intervention from ICC profiles. Colours are more consistently rich across the screen and some users really enjoy that benefit. Pixel responsiveness is not as good as the TN options but still very good – sensitivity to this differs, but as per the reviews the IPS-type models still do a very good job at high refresh rates and feel and for the most part look like high refresh rate models. Plus they have lower levels of overshoot (inverse ghosting) than the Dell S2716DG or BenQ XL2730. They also don’t suffer from ‘IPS glow’ (or AHVA glow), but as per the reviews they have their own issues with dark colours related to perceived gamma changes. If you do feel that TN models are more for you, then you should really consider the Dell S2417DG as well – because it does not suffer from obvious inverse ghosting and is an exceptionally responsive monitor.

What about the BenQ XL2730 and ASUS MG279Q?

Firstly, I reckon you’ll really enjoy G-SYNC. Given the array of games you play, with either the GTX 970 or GTX 1080 you will certainly see some fluctuation in frame rate unless you’re prepared to really lower the graphics settings on some of those titles. The experience is covered in detail in our relevant reviews, so I don’t have much more to say about that. It’s subjective, again, and not everyone finds it as much of a game-changer as other people. Generally, gamers have really warmed to variable refresh rate technologies such as this – and they really are a game-changer and ‘must-have’ feature for many. Obviously with either the XL2730 or MG279Q you’d be missing out on that.

The BenQ XL2730 (rebranded ‘ZOWIE’ version of the XL2730Z we’ve reviewed, but the same thing) has an advantage over the Dell S2716DG in that it has good gamma tracking (and customizable ‘Gamma’ modes) so does not rely on an ICC profile to get a rich image. However; I use an S2716DG as my main gaming monitor and using ICC profiles really doesn’t bother me. I thought it would, be the games I play use the gamma correction no problem. The biggest downside to the XL2730 is, aside from the lack of G-SYNC, the medium matte anti-glare screen surface. It’s thicker and grainer than the light surfaces now used on the S2716DG and used on all of the 144Hz AHVA panels.

The ASUS MG279Q, meanwhile, suffers from exactly the same quality control issues as the other AHVA (IPS-type) models which share the same (or a derivative of the same) panel. The panel itself is prone to various issues and all models which use it suffer as a result. Most notably moderate backlight bleed is more likely than for the TN alternatives and although any monitor can suffer this you’ve got a higher than average chance of this. Pixel defects are also possibly more common on these panels, but that’s difficult to assess as people are simply more likely to report when they have issues than when they don’t. And when there are millions of subpixels to go wrong, it’s not that uncommon that some will – on any monitor. The MG279Q is otherwise a solid monitor, but I do think you’d miss the lack of G-SYNC.

So what to go for?

Well, that’s up to you really. I can only give you a good idea of what to expect from each model, you’d have to make the ultimate decision. All of the IPS-type models mentioned in this thread are notably absent from the recommendations section. But that’s because of the aforementioned quality control issues. I am certainly re-considering this position, because I’ve received so much positive feedback on these from users. And for users who choose to buy from our preferred retailer, they’re backed up by an excellent returns policy should they be unsatisfied. I know this doesn’t apply to you due to your location – but anyway, you’ve stated that you’re patient and understand that you may have to return and would be willing to do so. So if you are more swayed towards the IPS-type options, I wouldn’t be put off by this. I’d also recommend reading this thread for some further thoughts on the main two I would personally recommend – https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/aoc-ag271qg-vs-viewsonic-xg2703-gs/.

February 6, 2017 at 8:40 pm #41567

Hydreks
    Participant

Thank you for very vast and rich answer PCM2, I really appreciate it. I gave it some thinking and overall Dell S2716DG is very tempting screen. I know, that Gsync itself is not a magic bullet, yet this might be effective in few occasions. IPS monitors, as you mentioned have its advantage in colour consistency but some TN’s (like Dell) are not that far behind them. I guess it is really subjective matter. What’s more, I’m not professional photographer. I really just want to enjoy good movie or game with reliable monitor on my desk.
    I run through links provided by you along with very deep and thorough read of many comments about gaming IPS’s like Asus or AOC. IPS overall is fine matrix but I have this feeling it is still immature regarding 144 Hz and fast response times. I don’t want to overemphasize it yet I think modern gaming IPS’s need just 2-3 years before they improve this little mess with back light bleed for example. I might be wrong, it is just overall thoughts. There is also economic standpoint where maybe TN is just more practical.

From the other hand first of your recommended screens (XG2703-GS) is not available in my country. Not sure what is the reason behind it and AG271QG looks really appealing to me from it’s specification point but costs 200$ more regarding Dell S2716DG. Here comes the question, If you would need to choose between, Is it really worth it (along with the stress aspect unluckily)?

I noticed that you are happy (I hope 🙂 ) user of S2716DG. I would be appreciated to hear from your perspective how you like this monitor? In addition few more questions just came into my mind, like:

Why exactly did you chose this matrix over any other TN or IPS (in mind with movies // games // work)?
    What kind of gamma/colour profile are you using (or there are more than one)?
    Do games or movies easily undergo changes applied by mentioned profile’s?
    I noticed in your S2716DG’s review that this matrix lack dynamic contrast but I have read somewhere that it is 100 000 000 : 1. (possibly on youtube review). Can you chime in something about it as I’m not sure what role it plays overall?
    Last but not least are you experiencing any colour banding?

I hope I don’t invade your private realm regarding that matter but I’m really curious about this from professional and domestic angle.
    Thanks

February 6, 2017 at 9:37 pm #41569

PCM2
    Keymaster

In all honesty, I chose the Dell S2716DG because of a pricing error which allowed me to get it for £99. But I still chose to keep it rather than sell it on for a profit. That is because it is a very useful reference screen to compare other monitors which I review to. Mainly as a benchmark for responsiveness – because, overshoot aside, the pixel responsiveness is excellent. I also enjoy gaming on it and definitely appreciate G-SYNC. This model was the exact unit we reviewed, so the settings and ICC profile used for it are contained there.

Happily enough there is no Dynamic Contrast feature on the S2716DG. You can see for yourself in the OSD video that there is no such feauture. Some degree of banding is unavoidable on any TN model, no matter how well-calibrated it is. That’s because of the perceived gamma shifts mentioned in the review. If content is naturally banded (and a lot is – especially in games) then the lower perceived gamma lower down the screen really highlights these imperfections. The fact that the native gamma curve requires correction by an ICC profile and that it is an 8-bit panel (not 10-bit or higher) also naturally attracts some degree of banding. I don’t find this at all bothersome, but everyone is different. And it’s certainly not by any means unique to the S2716DG.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.