Choosing a 1440p gaming monitor

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post. We appreciate your support!

• Author

To be clear, the AG273QCX does not use Quantum Dots. Which is why they aren’t mentioned on the relevant thread. Much like the AOC AG322QCX, the use of enhanched phosphors can now achieve similar colour gamuts – AOC dubs this ‘SuperColor technology’. The quote from Alfonso Clemente is included on that thread as well, by the way. Sorry if I did accidentally state that it uses QD somewhere, it has been ages since I’ve even thought about that model, until you brought it up here.

All due respect to Alfonso Clemente as he’s a great guy and I don’t have a bad word to say about him. But what I think he meant is that they can’t use Quantum Dot technology on a TN panel because panels that use that are not available to them. There is no technical reason why it can’t be done that I’m aware of. I could be wrong, I’m not an engineer, but I just don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible.

Ahh…. okay, thanks for that explanation.

Have a nice weekend.

Hey PCM2 have you seen these new high end 27″ VA 144Hz gaming monitors ? What do you think of these monitors and how did they mange to get a 1ms on these ?

Acer XZ271U and the MSI Optix MAG27CQ they are both for sale I’d post links, but I think were not allowed. I’m really liking Acer one, which company has a better rep one it comes to monitors ? Both are 450$ by the way.

Can you please answer this following question please, I didn’t want to make a new topic just for this question.

I’ve noticed pretty much all the high end 27″ gaming monitors are not curved. But if you go to low end and even some mid range 27″ monitors you’ll find more curved ones, why is that ? Is a curved at 27″ not worth it ? For example Acer’s predator 27″ and most of all Acer’s 27″ gaming monitors have no curved ones except the Ultra wides. Is it just a fade and or curved should only be for ultra wide monitors then ?

Hi again Subzero11,

The Acer XZ271U and MSI Optix MAG27CQ use a variant of the panel used in the Samsung C27HG70, but they use a different backlight solution. They do not have as wide a colour gamut as the Samsung (less vibrant colours) and they don’t have the backlight split into 8 dimming zones. They also lack HDR functionality. Aside from that, you can expect them to perform similarly – especially in terms of responsiveness. When it comes to responsiveness, you should pay little attention to specified response times. Especially when you see ‘1ms’ quoted for a VA panel, which is clearly wrong. That is because it’s an MPRT (Moving Picture Response Time) which the Samsung can specify as it has a strobe backlight mode (‘Impulsive Scanning’) that can achieve that sort of perceived blur level (in theory). I don’t believe the Acer or MSI models actually feature a strobe backlight, but they’ve probably just had to copy what Samsung specified given that it’s their panel and they need to compete with the ‘1ms’ thing.

I can’t really say which company has a better reputation when it comes to monitors as MSI are relatively new in that space and Acer are longer established. But they don’t exactly have the best reputation for customer service. I’ve also had poor experiences with MSI products and customer services in the past, but that was a long time ago and I still personally buy peripherals from them (especially motherboards) based on features and price.

Manufacturers will generally be more willing to ‘curve’ larger screens (especially ‘UltraWide’ models and 31.5″+ screens) because the curve is indeed more of a feature there. And it can bring greater benefits for larger screens. However; as noted in relevant reviews (including of the Samsung C27HG70), a 1800R curve is still noticeable on a 27″ screen. It’s a somewhat subtle but in my opinion still nice addition. It would be quite low down my list of priorities or features when it comes to choosing a monitor, but it would still be something I’d generally prefer to have vs. not have. I am typing this whilst using a flat 27″ 2560 x 1440 display and I don’t really sit here wishing it was curved.

Hi guys, i’ve done some research for my new 1080ti. i play pubg, the division, witcher 3, tomb raider, and sometimes lol.
    im currently using 32″ qhd ips monitor and this works pretty good except the contrast ratio. I hate missing an opponent hiding behind a window in a house

so here are what i need for my new monitor

144hz, qhd, g-sync, above 27″
    any panel but TN. I cant give up my view angle since i enjoy watching movies on my bed.
    So, i found 32gk850g and 271qg so far.

if you were in my situation, what would you choose or can you recommend any good monitor other than those?

Hi skkywalkker and welcome,

I have placed your post here as it is a suitable place with ongoing discussions for what you’re looking for. Based on what you’ve said in your post, I assume you mean “27” or above”. There is a relevant thread with relation to the 27″ IPS-type (AHVA) options here. Essentially, the Acer XB271HU, ViewSonic XG2703-GS and AOC AG271QG are all quite equal in terms of performance and feature-set. So it’s price and availability that seperates them.

The LG 32GK850G is a very interesting alternative. And I’m still waiting (as are many of our readers) for LG to sort out a review sample. But initial user feedback has been very positive. You have to be aware of the usual VA pixel responsiveness weaknesses, although this seems better than most in that respect if user reports are to be believed. Viewing angles, colour consistency and overall vibrancy is not as good as the 27″ IPS-type models so be aware of that as well. But contrast, lack of ‘IPS glow’ (and little’ VA glow’) and the overall experience seems to have won many users over.

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.