Choosing a 1440p gaming monitor

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!

• Author

The C27HG70 does have effective pixel overdrive. The issue is that the panel itself has slow pixel responses and no amount of overdrive (no matter how effective) can combat some of those transitions, unless it simply replaces them with unsightly overshoot. The ~32″ model is a different story, that does have a sub-optimal pixel overdrive implementation. But even if you look at other models using the same panel and a better pixel overdrive implementation (ASUS XG32VQ and AOC QC322QCX) there are some clear imperfections remaining. Nothing to do with the overdrive, but the panel itself.

Light most certainly has an effect on perceived ‘IPS glow’ (or ‘AHVA glow). Especially store lighting, which is rather bright. I wouldn’t expect the glow to be visible in such lighting. But it’s still there and still masks the subtle details all the same – you’d just never see such details anyway as the ambient light outcompetes them.

And a pleasant weekend to you as well. πŸ™‚

Clearly a few reviews have blurred together in my head, regarding the curved VA panels. A shame, I really like the 27″ curved design, sadly non of the QHD ones seem to be up to par as a gaming main.

That said… I’m by no means unhappy with making the XL2730Z my monitor for the next few years, It still appears to be the best overall package.
    * Size and resolution I was after.
    * Well implemented Freesync, with a nice range.
    * 8Bit TN panel, with what appears to be quite good colour performance.
    * Sturdy construction, features, without too much “useless” fluff.
    * Overall a well engineered monitor.

As much as I’d like to get an IPS based monitor, for the better visual experience, they all seem to have something deal breaking wrong with them… for what I’m after.
    So I think I’ll pick up the BenQ and keep an eye on what’s coming down the road. I don’t want to be sitting here going: “Next generation will be better!” forever. Heheh.
    Hopefully when we get to 2019+ we’ll see some well balanced curved freesync monitors. πŸ™‚

Thanks for all your feedback PCM

Greetings all

So I put an alert on the BenQ XL2730Z, to see if it goes on sale anywhere in the near future, because in the meantime I wanted to check up on something regarding the Asus MG279Q.
    According to TFTC’s Review its trace free overdrive looks to do a decent job, and it works with Freesync, unlike the Acer XF270HU, so the monitor’s only issue seems to be its narrow freesync range(35-90Hz).
    Over the weekend I’ve been trawling the interwebs for people who have used CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to change the EDID of the monitor, and give it a much better range, 57-144Hz seems to be the one a lot have gone for. Now, while I don’t think it’s an issue for the monitor, as it can run 144Hz, I would still see this as an overclock of the monitor, I was wondering if altering the range could harm the scaler(<– That’s the module that controls the refresh rate and freesync, right?)
    Been trying to find a post, or statement, that explains why Asus gave it such a narrow range.

Because if changing the range will not have any adverse effect on the monitor’s life span or mechanical stability, I might pick that over the XL2730Z, as it then seems to be the job as well as the BenQ but with an IPS panel.
    Here they cost the same.

The scaler is perfectly capable of running at 57 – 144Hz and that is in no way an ‘overclock’. ASUS knows this, but were also aware that the scaler used is limited in its variable refresh rate range. They had to choose between 57 – 144Hz (or thereabouts) and 35 – 90Hz. They decided, perhaps foolishly, that most users would prefer a lower floor over a higher ceiling. This isn’t a problem with newer scalers and is now a non-issue where LFC capabilities exist. With MG279Q you do need to pick your compromise with the hardware refresh rate range.

How do you mean, that I need to pick my compromises?

A high floor (57Hz) or low ceiling (90Hz) of operation. You can’t have it the other way around (low floor, high ceiling). It’s quite clear which I would pick, and I think you agree (high floor).

Ahh… yes I absolutely agree, I would choose 57-144Hz, even more so because the monitor supports LFC.
    But I’m glad to hear that changing the range will have no adverse effects on the monitors hardware. I’ll put an alert on the MG279Q also.

If I go that route I guess it’s fingers crossed for a good panel, first time around πŸ™‚

Yes, exactly. If LFC existed in the form it does today when ASUS decided on the FreeSync range to use, I don’t doubt they would’ve gone for 57 – 144Hz instead. LFC works very nicely now, as long as the ceiling is at least 2x the floor of operation. As it is in this case.

As I have been going over the monitor market, a lot…, in the past three weeks, there has been one thing that’s come to mind a few times…
    Very few high end 27″ 1440p Freesync monitors has been released since 2015, of any panel type, XL2730Z, MG279Q, XF270HU(A) etc. are all from around 2015.
    And there has only been an updated version of one of those, the Acer… Asus has not even released a “better” version of the MG279Q since LFC came to be in it current form.

Makes me wonder, if a refresh is around the corner… or if they’re just staying with what they have, that’s still good, and working to release a Freesync 2 refresh, and looking towards whatever the next panel will be.
    There was very few monitors in that category at CES also.

Anyways, just me working myself up… wondering if I’m buying towards the end of the current generation.

The C27HG70 is newer. And although it doesn’t stop manufacturers from doing exactly that, there is sometimes little point in releasing new versions of products if there aren’t new panels to use. The AOC AG273QCX is a bit different and I very much doubt that will be the only model making use of that new panel. LG also has an upcoming model which I’m not really allowed to talk about yet.

Greetings all

So now that it appears that the upcoming 4K HDR monitors have been pushed back towards the end of the year. I wonder/fear the same might happen to the AG273QCX, which was slated for a april launch here in europe, and looked quite interesting… as you also have stated PCM… 27″ QHD curved monitor, used a TN panel.

Do you think it’ll still see release around april, or should I expect a much later launch? If you are allowed to comment…

The delay applies to the high refresh rate AU Optronics panels with FALD solutions. The AG273QCX is very different (doesn’t use that sort of backlight), so I don’t see why it would be delayed in the same way. Then again, I’m not sure if it will be released in April or slip back a little. Not by more than a few months I feel.

I know it’s not the same panels… but the AG273QCX is using a brand new curved TN panel, which is a first I think….. and as we have heard nothing, publicly, about it… other than its initial announcement. So when it broke that the others were delayed, all the way back to Q3 & Q4, I had a little Fffuuuu moment, fearing that maybe the curved TN panels were also causing issues, hence the no other info…..

But I have not been able to find anything that could confirm or disprove my concern… And if you know nothing, that you can say πŸ˜‰ and TFT has said nothing, I’ll remain hopeful that it’ll be released on time.

It looks like a very interesting monitor, I have seen some discussion about whether it uses quantum dots… but can you use that on a TN panel?

Quantum dots are simply used as part of the backlight arrangement (reference). So the panel type doesn’t matter, as long as it is LCD and has a backlight of course πŸ˜‰ .

Hmm… I found this quote, while I was looking for info about the monitor.

β€œI saw this TN panel, they were doing a demonstration in Taipei,” Clemente says, β€œand the picture quality is probably better than IPS. It’s not quantum dot, you can’t put that on TN, but the quality was really reminiscent of quantum dot. The market has never seen a TN panel with this colour quality. Viewing angles are TN viewing angles, but you don’t care about that.”

I’m sure there’s some corporate hype in the interview as well… but he’s saying they can’t do quantum dot on a TN panel.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.