Aorus FI27Q-P vs Viewsonic XG270QG (27" 1440p IPS Showdown)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.

• Author
    jbeaster

Hi all,

I recently updated my GPU and decided it was finally time to upgrade my dual monitor setup past 1080p @60hz, since upgrading 2 monitors would be expensive I have spent the last several weeks researching.

Thanks to the amazing information from this website, I’ve just completed upgrading one monitor to the Philips 328e1ca and I am extremely happy with it for Productivity and mild 4K content viewing.

I am looking to upgrade my other monitor to serve more of a gaming purpose and am shooting for a 27″ 1440p 144hz+ monitor. After all of the research (PHEW there is a lot to learn!) I am going to be waiting for either the Aorus FI27Q-P (briefly mentioned HERE) or Viewsonic xg270qg and giving an IPS Panel a try.

From what I’ve gathered the FI27Q-P is pretty much the Aorus ad27qd + 165hz + Displayport 1.4 and thus able to actually utilize 1440p @ 144hz+ with 10-bit color.

While the XG270QG is pretty much the lg-27gl850 +G-SYNC.

I do have a RTX 2070 Super and can definitely be convinced that G-SYNC is almost always worth it for gaming…

I also acknowledge the other differences such HDR10 vs HDR 400 (but apparently HDR certs these low don’t matter), and all of the extra features of the AORUS FI27Q-P…

I’ve learned a few things about monitors the past several weeks and if these newer models are selling out and that

But think I really would need to make a confident decision if I could get some input from the following questions:
    Are there any direct side-by-sides of the AORUS AD27QD and LG 27GL850 that could give some perspective?
    Is G-SYNC on the LG 27GL850 panel just too good of a combination for gaming?
    Are any of the extra features of the AORUS FI27Q-P actually valuable?
    How different are 1440p @ 144hz+ with 10-bit color via DP1.4 vs 1440p @ 144hz+ with 8-bit color vs 1440p @120hz with 10 bit color?

PCM2

Hi jbeaster and welcome,

If you refer to the HDR section of our Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD review or indulge in some reading on HDR sections of various other models where this is applicable, you’ll see that the monitor being able to provide 10-bit colour output is of very little consequence. If the monitor only supports 8-bit colour output (rather than 8-bit + FRC, to make up 10-bits per subpixel) then the GPU will handle the dithering instead of the monitor. I’ve tested this on multiple monitors, including those which use dithering monitor side at some refresh rates and where GPU dithering is used instead. The end result is very similar, I’d be very surprised if any user could truthfully tell which was being used in a blind test.

Given this, the FI27Q-P is a pretty unexciting product if that and 165Hz capability is all that has changed from the AD27QD. This minor change from the FI27Q (no ‘P’) is extremely confusing as well, given that the FI27Q hasn’t been launched and may never be launched without the ‘P’ designation – so the FI27Q and FI27Q-P will probably merge into one. The HDR performance on the AD27QD was poor for other reasons, and not just because it was only a VESA DisplayHDR 400 implementation. Which is in itself quite limiting. But this had nothing to do with the lack of 10-bit support on the monitor. The FI27Q-P would need to improve this for it to be at all worthwhile. It’s possible it could, given the company are capable of better HDR implementations (as seen in the CV27F) even at the VESA DisplayHDR 400 level. Although I would never focus too much on HDR as a feature on a monitor with only VESA DisplayHDR 400 level support. At that level it’s a feature that can be nice to use from time to time for a change, but you always feel you’re missing out on a true HDR experience – because you are.

Another key issue with the AD27QD was the strong overshoot, especially as refresh rate dropped. I’m not hopeful this has been tweaked on the FI27Q-P, and for that reason I have no intention to review it unless users confirm otherwise. It is simply too similar to the AD27QD and I’d rather focus on reviewing something distinct from other products we’ve reviewed. Like the ViewSonic XG270QG. The fact it has an actual G-SYNC module means it should have much tighter pixel response tuning than the AORUS and will include variable overdrive. Which, if you’re sensitive to overshoot, is a massive advantage. The panel offers a somewhat larger colour gamut and if the LG is anything to go by the quality control could be a notch above the Gigabyte. Although it’s difficult to say for sure until both products have been on the market for a while. Another minor point is that the screen surface is slightly lighter and lower haze on the LG Nano IPS panel vs. the Innolux panel used on the Gigabyte.

P.S. Thanks for your kind words, I’m glad you’re enjoying the Philips 328E1CA.

jbeaster

Thanks for the Reply! I wish I could edit my post as I accidentally hit submit before my last pass of editing.

I was definitely leaning towards the XG270QG and I think I will end up waiting for it to give G-sync a try.

Part of what I was trying to mention was how these latest releases monitors are selling out and that I don’t want to miss out on an earlier batch while waiting for reviews. So I definitely appreciate the thoroughness and objectivity, it will help me wait a few more months without feeling like I’m missing out or compromising!

s1blyx

I have FI27Q in front of me on my desk, so the product definitely exists. I have bought it last week.
    As of if what to buy, don’t know. I took the FI27Q to see if I would like it or not, but that was before the XG was announced so I’m also having a struggle if I should keep it or not.

PCM2

Yes, so I should’ve said I don’t know if the FI27Q (non ‘P’) was planned for broader release. I realise it is available in some locations in Asia and Europe, but it certainly hasn’t been released in some major markets like the US (or UK). How are you finding it in terms of overshoot, the main criticism of the AD27QD as noted above? If you find the responsiveness fine and don’t notice overshoot using the ‘Strong’ setting, especially when the frame rate drops (Adaptive-Sync active) then that’s great. It means you won’t see an awful lot of improvement going for the XG270QG.

s1blyx

Unfortunately, I don’t have any means to measure the numbers and even don’t know how one does that, so I can only tell you what my eyes observed :/
    Picture quality is quite good and contrast surprised me, and it’s one of the reasons why I took to since the average contrast on AD27QD was measured at around 1100 by a lot of people. There is a BLB at the middle-right side of the screen, which is noticeable only in dark scenes. Same is with the IPS glow, it is present ofc, but a tad bit too much of it at the lower-left part of the screen. The colors by default were oversaturated for my taste so I had to spend quite some time on toning them down, and I’m almost close to finding perfect settings. Oh and not a single stuck or dead pixel on it.

Regarding the responsiveness and overshoot. I’m having it set to Balanced because on Fast there was quite a noticeable overshoot on lower FPS numbers. On Fast, I could notice it when FPS dropped to around 80 and then as it dropped even further it was becoming quite distracting and annoying. Having it set to Balanced it’s more or less eliminated, but yeah, you loose on some of the speed then. But, I really have to look for imperfections to notice that. Next to it, I have LG 24GM77, which is 144Hz TN monitor and to my eyes, it looks very close to the same performance. TN is a bit faster with less blur, but as I’ve said, I really need to look for it to notice it.

But THE most annoying thing about it is the software/firmware. I think it’s buggy. For some reason, the monitor locks me out of the Overdrive setting and I can’t access it. So then sometimes I can change overdrive and sometimes not, So I have to switch between different Picture presets (Standard, sRGB, Movie, FPS, etc.) to get it back which is freaking driving me nuts.

PCM2

I appreciate the feedback. Sounds very much like the FI27Q is the AD27QD with 165Hz capability, as I suspected it would be. The overdrive bug sounds frustrating, hopefully they’ll fix it in upcoming firmware. They’re usually very good with that sort of thing and if it’s a widespread issue I’d expect them to address it.

jbeaster

While I’ve decided to wait for the XG270QG, I have noticed that the FI27Q-P is now available for preorder on Amazon for $650 with an delivery date of 11/1! Was that the expected price? Hard to justify in my mind without an actual GSync module… though I am tempted to order it and give it a try while waiting for the XG270QG.

PCM2

The AD27QD had an initial retail price of $600. So $650 sounds right for the FI27Q-P. There’s certainly something to be said for trying it out and seeing how you find it. Monitors are very subjective, it’s always best to see for yourself- and you may really like the experience it offers. You can always return it if not.

PCM2

The video review of the ViewSonic has been released, written review to follow in a little bit.

And to add to the excellent feedback given by s1blyx above, another user has given me a bit of feedback about the FI27Q-P by email. Not good news for anybody expecting the pixel overdrive to be changed from the AD27QD. This user specifically upgraded from the AD model because she wasn’t happy with the overshoot levels, especially as frame rate reduced (Adaptive-Sync active). She was hoping the newer model would improve things, but that wasn’t the case. The written review of the ViewSonic will offer some comparisons (pursuit photos) with the AD27QD and AOC AG273QCG which people should find useful to see where the ViewSonic sits. As covered in the video review, though, it’s nicely tuned in my opinion just using it’s ‘Standard’ overdrive setting. And for those who don’t mind a bit of overshoot, the ‘Advanced’ setting could be considered.

s1blyx

Hey, thanks for the review! That monitor is one of the reasons why I returned FI27Q so I really appreciate the review.
    I really enjoyed it from start to finish.

Seems like the low contrast is the same one as on the LG panel since, at the end of the day, it uses the same panel πŸ˜€ Though I was hoping that it would be better in this case :/

Now that you reviewed both the LG and Viewsonic, which one would you recommend? Or are they too similar and all boils down to G-Sync vs FreeSync?

PCM2

We haven’t reviewed the 27GL850, because LG failed to provide a sample. Their PR team is in utter disarray here in the UK following recent re-organisations (cost-cutting, as usual) and availability of the product in general has been very poor. Still, I’ve gathered enough user feedback on it and appreciate the solid data from TFT Central enough to say that, yes, it’s really the G-SYNC module and variable overdrive that’s the main difference. I can draw some further comparisons after the written review of the XG270QG is published as that will give better context.

PCM2

Now that the written review of the ViewSonic XG270QG has been published, some quick notes in comparison to the LG 27GL850. There are other points to consider, but these are the key ones in my view:

– The LG using its ‘Fast’ setting is similar to the ViewSonic using its ‘Normal’ setting. The difference here is that the ViewSonic offers variable overdrive, properly tuning things as refresh rate decreases. The LG suffers from obvious overshoot at reduced refresh rates if you leave it on the ‘Fast’ setting. So as mentioned earlier in the thread, the optimal setting on the LG is different for relatively low vs. relative high refresh rates (frame rates with Adaptive-Sync active).

– The ‘Advanced’ setting on the ViewSonic will be appreciated by some users. Those who don’t mind moderate overshoot to gain very snappy pixel responses. The LG has no equivalent setting, the ‘Faster’ setting on that is like the useless ‘Ultra Fast’ setting of the ViewSonic.

– The ViewSonic supports a 165Hz refresh rate. A nice little bonus, but not a dramatic change from 144Hz.

– The ViewSonic offers ULMB support, although this is not a great implementation.

– The ViewSonic offers integrated speakers. They’re not great, but OK and better than some integrated speakers. Some users like to have integrated speakers as a backup.

– The ViewSonic offers RGB lighting (‘ELITE RGB’). Some users will quite like that feature, it has some utility as you can enjoy the lighting from infront of the monitor rather than just behind.

– The LG has an sRGB emulation mode, and a good one at that. The ViewSonic lacks such functionality. Most users would just want to use the native gamut of the LG, you don’t really buy a ‘Nano IPS’ model specifically designed for an enhanced colour gamut to then restrict it. Either model would work equally well in colour-aware applications when profiled with a colorimeter or similar device. Still, an sRGB emulation mode is a nice thing for some users to have.

– The LG supports a 10-bit colour signal, whereas the ViewSonic is limited to an 8-bit signal due to G-SYNC module limitations. Few users will be able to leverage this, outside of the (fairly weak) HDR10 functionality supported by the 27GL850. The panel handles the dithering for both models and has some effect either way, as noted in the review.

sayhejcu

Thanks for the great review and comparison. Viewsonic looks better than LG if price difference is $100 in my opinion. 21 more hz, gsync module and relatively better overall design. As you stated above 8 bit shouldn’t make much difference. We don’t even know which games uses 10 bit in sdr mode. I hoped they improve the contrast but nope. It’s still fine if the black uniformity and ips glow conditions are good which is lottery. Gamma consistency is better than VA which is important. VA has good blacks but gamma inconsistency can ruin it like ips glow ruining famous ips viewing angles.

It’s still disappointing that they didn’t improve this tech after 5 years old PG279Q. Slightly improved response times at the expense of losing some contrast. They literally just added wide gamut layer. Very bad 5 years of improvement.

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. That’s a fair and accurate summary. πŸ™‚

jbeaster

Just noticed the Viewsonic finally up for pre-order on Amazon today, for … $783 πŸ™ I hope the inflated amazon price is some kind of bug and not their pricing models anticipating it selling out.

PCM2

No doubt you’re correct.

s1blyx

I’m tired of searching for that “perfect” monitor so I ordered both LG 27GL850 and Gigabyte FI27Q-P and both of them should be here at the end of the next week. I will compare them side to side and then return one of them. Viewsonic uses the panel from LG so I hope that my experience with both of them will help out people out there. It’s an expensive experiment πŸ˜€

PCM2

A noble idea, I look forward to your thoughts! It will indeed be a useful addition to this thread.

jbeaster

I ended up buying the the XG270QG. I don’t have a shipping date quite yet, but asked and heard back from their sales rep that they received their stock today.

I’m super excited for completing my upgrade! I do want to mention the $783 price on Amazon had my very much considering the Pixio PX7 Prime which is readily available on Amazon at literally less than half the price. It seems to be a very cost effective contender for 27” 1440p IPS.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.