AOC AG322QCX impressions & HDCP?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 131 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!

• Author

There’s no chance of a review this week. We might only receive the new sample by the end of it, if at all this week. And the responsiveness section, easily the most time-consuming section of the review, still has to be completed. Not to mention a video review.

The Philips also has a Quantum Dot backlight as noted in our news piece – https://pcmonitors.info/philips/philips-328m6fjmb-2560-x-1440-curved-144hz-va-model/. Curiously enough the AOC’s colour gamut is similar to what we’ve seen from such backlights anyway, even though it does not use Quantum Dots (just ‘enhanced phosphors ‘). Different means of achieving the same thing.

Fair enough, makes sense. One can wonder how a faulty overdrive can be sent out of the factory in the first place, but that’s another issue.

Your second point is a bit worrying though, makes you wonder if Quantum Dot really is worth anything, especially since its already the new buzzword to get thrown around along with HDR. Especially if they now made Quantum dots to actually not do anything special.

Thanks for the quick replies and a great site 🙂

It’s not uncommon for products in the pre-release stage to be ‘defective’ in various ways. I have to commend AOC’s product manager for being aware of the issue before I even highlighted and ensuring it was corrected before the product was released to the public. Well, from what he has said and what I expect to find – haven’t yet been able to confirm 100% myself. 😉

I do wonder if the Quantum Dot solution of the Philips can enhance the colour gamut further, not that I feel that is necessary. I was really quite surprised to learn that the AOC doesn’t use Quantum Dots following my measurements of the gamut, which was very similar to models such as the Samsung C34F791 that do use such a solution.

Sicne we are talking QD and HDR, do you think they will do marketing spin on QD, just like HDR, where you have like “true HDR”, “premium HDR”, “HDR10” etc.

And HDR on gaming monitors seems to be one big scam, since the screens dont have near enough NITS and no FALD either. So if a monitor finally will have HDR, its gonna be some kind of crappy HDR version which doesnt compare to the real deal – not even close.

My question is, is quantum dots in the same problem area? Where as you can have real QD and crappy versions of it as well?

Quantum Dots as they are used now are simply a replacement for the phosphors used in ‘traditional’ WLED backlights. Eventually the hope is that they will be used as the backlight itself, much like an alternative to OLED. There is more on this on our articles on both topics:

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/the-evolution-of-led-backlights/
    https://pcmonitors.info/articles/oled-monitors/

‘Quantum Dot’ has certainly already become a buzzword in the TV marketing world. It’s also something Samsung in particular like to flaunt in the monitor world. It is inherently misleading such as ‘LED’ was when that was flaunted. Consumers initially thought that ‘LED’ was seperate to ‘LCD’ and didn’t realise it was simply an alternative form of backlight. The same now applied to ‘Quantum Dots’. There are different iterations of the technology, but all of the iterations used on monitors integrate with normal LEDs as part of a backlight. They are not distinguished with different marketing terms, but when they themselves become the backlight the manufacturers will be left with little choice but to create some snappy term to distinguish between a Quantum Dot LED backlight and ‘pure Quantum Dots’.

ARGH! I can’t wait to read a review of this monitor 😀

And the information about this and the philips monitor is so hard to come by – annoying how shitty 4k always gets all the hype!

Yup, still waiting for the ‘swap and drop’ (i.e. new unit to come to replace this one) so I can finish off the review!

Hey! Any news when the review will be released?! Did you receive your new unit?!

I am very interested in this monitor, putting all my hopes in it. 1440p, 144Hz, 31,5″ with Freesync is pretty sweet! I hope the input lag is quite bearable with a VA-Panel. 🙂

I’m afraid it hasn’t even been shipped yet, let alone received and tested. So you’ll have to wait a bit longer. We’ll update the news piece and Twitter when we actually receive the new sample.

Did you receive your sample yet? I see some german sites claim they have this model on stock now.

See above. There is no use hounding me on this thread, Twitter and the news piece will be updated when the sample is received.

Fair enough, but would you mind telling us how you spotted the faulty overdrive? Because the stores near me has it in stock now – but I dont want to buy it, if the first batches have faulty overdrive?

It would be rather obvious during testing when you compare 120Hz and 144Hz, for example, with different overdrive settings. If it isn’t obvious then frankly it isn’t a problem. TestUFO is a simple way to test this.

Yeah but more specifically, if you say you had an asus monitor, then tracefree 60 would be the way to go since it eliminates ghosting. Anything above or below 60 has ghosting.

Did the AOC you tested had no “tracefree level” (i dont know what aoc calls their overdrive), which ghosting was removed or was it just the same on all levels?

Im trying to figure out how to replicate the problem – if i buy one. And im sure others would like to know aswell. Please.

That’s not true regarding ASUS models, it is entirely model dependent and open to preference as to which TraceFree setting is optimal.

If you don’t actually notice an issue with the overdrive, is it really an issue? As I’ve said you simply need to set the monitor to 144Hz and test the different Overdrive settings. They’re called ‘Overdrive’ on AOC monitors, just so there is no ambiguity. Use TestUFO, it is an excellent and simple way of highligting different overdrive behaviour. You should notice pronounced changes in how things look at 144Hz, especially comparing ‘Off’ to ‘Strong’. If not then the unit is an old ‘pre-production’ model. Compare with 120Hz or a lower refresh rate and you should see the behaviour of the overdrive settings quite clearly even on the older pre-production models.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.