AOC AG271QG vs Viewsonic XG2703-GS

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!

• Author

Hi Asasinas,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s an appropriate place. Discount the PG278QR, because the S2716DG is a superior product due to the improvements to screen surface in more recent additions (not something the PG278QR shares). You can discount the PG279Q because the quality control is awful and you have a higher chance of getting a unit with very poor backlight uniformity and various other issues with that one.

You’re then left with the AG271QG and XB271HU, which as pointed out in this thread just above your reply are ‘quite similar’. That’s as good as I can do without thoroughly testing the XB271HU myself (not going to happen before you ask), but based on extensive user feedback it seems very much equivilent to the AOC. There’s then the ViewSonic XG2703-GS, which of course this thread focusses on in comparison to the AOC as they’re the two I can give expensive feedback on.

The long and short of it is; all three models mentioned in this thread (AOC, ViewSonic and Acer) are very similar, it comes down to price, aesthetics and general features as to which you should go for. They also do suffer from notorious issues with quality control, but from user feedback that seems to be improving and at any rate is significantly better than the PG279Q. Which has to be the most returned monitor for those who have ordered via our website. Return rates for the AOC are actually surprisingly low at the moment and I’ve received plenty of positive feedback. I’m actually considering adding it the the recommendations section shortly, now quality control seems reasonable (rather than ‘well below average’). But whichever monitor you decide to go for, do not expect perfection or you’re just setting yourself up for stress and disappointment. Words of wisdom I should probably put in the footer of this website.

I decided to go with the AOC AG271QG since I found it cheaper, however according to some reviews on another forum I probably would of got more luck with the ViewSonic’s one…

But anyway, as someone who’s a newbie in the monitors world, I’m wondering if you could help me by listing the issues I should check once the monitor arrives… I heard of things such as Dead Pixels, Blacklight Bleed. Is there any tool I may use to perform some kind of diagnostic? Do these issues get worse over time?

Thank you you for your attention?

— EDIT – –
    Someone also mentioned this in the other forum: http://www.jscreenfix.com do you find it useful?

The AG271QG and XG2703-GS are very similar quality control wise, as per this thread. I would suggest you simply use the monitor as you normally would and get out of the negative ‘looking for problems’ mindset. If you’re able to swap it out then fine, do what you will, but you’re going to get AHVA glow regardless of what you see in the completely artificial and often pointless ‘backlight bleed’ assessment you may do (seriously, use the monitor normally and see if it is an issue). As for dead pixels, just like a person they are dead. That’s it. Gone, nothing you can do. Stuck pixels can sometimes be ‘unstuck’, that’s a different matter.

These issues don’t generally get worse over time. Certainly not backlight bleed, not significantly so and it sometimes improves slightly as the monitor ‘settles’. Pixel defects can certainly crop up later on, but that’s just a possiblity you have to live with regardless of the screen.

I did go with AOC, like I said in one of the previous posts. I’m not disappointed after all this time. Sure it has some issues like there is no ambient light sensor which forces me to change brightness depending on the time of the day I work on it. But overall I have nothing to complain about. There is ips glow visible on the dark scenes. But it would have to be almost 100% dark in order to actually focus on that.
    I don’t have any dead pixels but I bought it in the shop that guarantees no dead pixels for additional fee – they do tests before sending.

Fair enough, I’ll try to take some pics when my AOC arrives and you guys tell me what you think.
    So there are no diagnostic tools or something like those for the GPU, CPU, HDD, RAM? Something that would stress the monitor enough to look for bad pixels? Or perhaps even predict if one is going to pop out soon?

I don’t like watching movies or playing games on a dark environment anyway. I convinced myself years ago that being in a dark room looking at a monitor would make your eyes focus solely on those moving pixels therefore damaging your vision along the way.

There are devices that tests things like that but probably only on production level because it involves visual test. Something has to ‘see’ if there is damage pixel. So the best home test is just to display black, red, green, red and white and look for anything that stands out.

There are no scientific prove that vision can be damaged by watching TV in dark. It can cause your eyes to tire faster and you don’t blink makes your eyes dry faster. So it’s good to have some ambient light around and change your focus to something that is far away – the best would be to stare a little outside the window.

Draghmar’s responses are spot on. You don’t need to ‘stress’ a monitor to look for bad pixels (pixel or subpixel defects). You simply need to view screenfills in black, white, red, green and blue. Using something like you linked to before or this. With respect to viewing a screen or in fact reading anything in a dark room, it can certainly strain your eyes. But anything to do with longer term damage is, as we say in the UK, an old wives’ tale.

Thank you guys for your help.

That’s what I meant, but I thought it would damage it over long term, forcing you to use glasses sooner than expected, at least that’s the idea my Ophthalmologist believes in.

This isn’t a medical forum and I don’t wish to question your opthalmologist, but even professionals can’t know everything in their field. That includes me, of course. And it’s always good practice to view in a sensibily lit room, even if avoiding long-term damage isn’t the goal. I’m sure the opthalmologist was simply trying to encourage good habbits. To be more specific, ‘needing glasses sooner than expected’ infers something like early onset presbyopia. And that is in no way influenced by viewing content in a dark room.

I see.

Well, back on topic. I noticed that the Acer XB271HU has a M270DAN02.6 panels where the other ones included in the same category have an M270DAN02.3, that including the ViewSonic’s and AOC’s on the topic’s title…

Wouldn’t the Acer have a superior panel?
    http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=23628,27068
    (I’m not talking about the fact that 2.6 is borderless)

No. Performance of the panels is extremely similar, it’s really only the bezel design and panel border that differ. AU Optronics don’t subdesignate ‘superior’ panels with higher numbers. An advantage that the Acer does have, or disadvantage depending on how you look at it, is that it is 8-bit + FRC rather than just ‘naked’ 8-bit. Some users actually prefer the complete lack of dithering that 8-bit provides, whilst others prefer the somewhat smoother gradients that 10-bit provides, even if it includes a dithering stage. In practice the difference will be negligible for most users and indeed most uses.

I am looking for a monitor for my first evr pc build(Excited!) and was eyeing 1440p 165hz as a good entry point. Why do you guys reccomend the AOC Agon over the PG279q and Acer equivalent? Does it offer superior colors and contrast or is it just because it is newer? Also, is the s2417dg worth looking at if I will be viewing lots of movies and videos, or is the drop off from IPS/AHVA too big?

SamDaPwner,

I have merged your thread with this one as it explains the main recommendations and why they are suggested. In summary; the Acer XB271HU is perfectly decent, but is not one we’ve reviewed and is generally more expensive than those we recommend without offering any significant advantage. The ASUS PG279Q has woeful quality control – none of these 144Hz+ AHVA models are great in that respect, but the AOC, ViewSonic and Acer options are at least reasonable. If you will be viewing a lot of movies then personally I’d consider the S2417DG ‘too much of a sacrifice’ in terms of image quality for such activities. Although some would argue the lack of ‘AHVA glow’ is a nice bonus.

If the Acer and AOC are the same price which one would you recommend going for?

Refer to my reply at the top of this page.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.