Acer Predator XB253Q GP vs ASUS TUF Gaming VG249Q

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post. We appreciate your support! And please read the rules before posting.

• Author

Hi,

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my monitor to a IPS 1440p 144hz for a while now, but i end up never pulling the trigger, as i refuse to invest 600€+ on a product that will most likely still have faults. Recently a variety of IPS 1080 144hz have been popping up though, which changed the situation. I can live with less than perfect at that price range.

After ruling out the AOC 24G2U (i heavily dislike oversaturated colors), i narrowed my choices down to these two models. The Predator XB253Q GP is currently on sale for 240€ (down from 300€) while the TUF Gaming VG249Q would come out at 215€, considering i’d also have to get a display port cable separately.

The Asus is quite widely known and i’ve read mostly good things about it, so it seems like the safer bet, but for 25€ more i could potentially get a superior product. Problem is, there’s close to no information about the Acer, which in itself doesn’t leave a good impression. From what one would logically assume, the overall quality of the Acer should be higher considering its original price range (it even has a basic form of HDR, and yes, i’m aware it’s pointless). As it stands now though, this monitor would be a shot in the dark. I’ll admit i’m also somewhat biased against Acer, partly but not only due to several negative opinions i’ve come across. The flat 20% discount is fishy as well, very rarely i’ve come across good products at an actual discount on Amazon, especially this hefty.

In conclusion, does anybody here have any real world experience with the Acer Predator XB253Q GP?

What fortunate timing. Or perhaps unfortunate, depending on how long you can wait. We’ll very shortly be reviewing the Acer XB253Q GP, but don’t expect the review to be published until perhaps the end of the month.

We’ll be drawing comparisons with the AOC 24G2U at various points of the review and given that the AOC uses the same Panda CELL (panel minus backlight) as the VG249Q, that will give some insight into that comparison as well. This thread provides a good reference for others reading this thread and who may be considering how the AOC and ASUS compare to one another.

Thank you for the fast reply.

It’s not about how long i can wait, but how long amazon will keep the discount ahah. It went on sale right after midnight on August the 1st, so with some luck it will be till the end of the month. The VG249Q isn’t even available here until the 31st of August.

It using the same Panda panel is news to me though, since in your article you specified that “AUO AHVA (Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle) panels are used”. If the panel is the same for all three monitors then my higher price range theory goes out the window and it turns out it’s just an overpriced alternative when not on sale. Still, it’s gonna be the only in-depth review for this monitor, looking forward to know how it will turn out.

Apologies for the ambiguous wording, I’ll correct that. What I meant was that the VG249Q uses the same 23.8″ Panda CELL (LC238LF1F) as the 24G2(U). The Acer XB253Q GP uses the 24.5″ AUO panel so yes, it’s different.

In this thread I’ve shared a bit about what I understand of the panels and some brief experience with a model using the AUO panel (Acer XV253Q P), but these are only based on brief experiences. I expect the Acer to have a somewhat grainier screen surface and slightly lower contrast than the Panda-based ASUS. Yet I also expect it to have snappier pixel responses, in particular not suffering from such pronounced ‘powdery trailing’ for those high contrast transitions. The AOC 24G2(U) is actually a bit stronger than the ASUS in terms of pixel responsiveness, as pointed out in the comparison thread, but the Acer should be a step above that as well. I also expect colour consistency to be stronger – the Panda panel is on the lower end of what I’d expect from an IPS-type panel in that respect. And finally, from user feedback I’ve seen so far the quality control is likely tighter and you’re less likely to suffer uniformity issues. No guarantees either way, but just something that seems to crop up quite a lot with the 23.8″ Panda panels.

Thanks for clarifying. The colour consistency/uniformity and quality control is what i would expect from this price range, the grainier screen surface might be a dealbreaker for me though. Coming from a glossy surface, i think it’s going to be hard as it is to adapt to matte. Pixel response is not of the utmost importance to me as i don’t really play competitive games, as long as it stays within the 7ms margin to provide a true 144hz experience.

I’m going to wait for the review to come out before making a decision, hoping all options are still open by the time it does. I think it’s probably safe to assume the 300€ price tag would be excessive for this monitor though.

The current US pricing for the XB253Q GP is quite reasonable in my view, at ~$280. At €300 it would be a tough one to recommend unless you were fussy enough about pixel responsiveness that the AUO panel would be that much more appealing. Or if you like higher brightness levels and perhaps wanted to dabble in the (admittedly very basic) HDR capability of the Acer.

Unfortunately, prices here in the EU are inflated by a flat 20-25% VAT depending on the country. 240€ is the almost exact equivalent of 280$, and it’s a price i’d be willing to pay if it turned out to be a quality monitor.

The Asus is also discounted at the moment compared to the 249$ reference, regular price would be 270-280€ with a DP cable. Then again, it did go on sale for 199$ a few months ago, so who really knows what the real price should be.

Yes, as a resident of the UK I’m very used to the ‘rip-off tax’. I mean, VAT and additional charges. 😉

Our review of the Acer XB253Q GP has now been published. My expectations and assumptions made earlier in this thread were proven correct and are now backed up in this review. In the review’s conclusion the comparison is drawn with the AOC 24G2(U).

“We’ve been drawing the comparison throughout this review with the AOC 24G2U as this is a very interesting and pertinent comparison to draw. In summary, the AOC is the cheaper monitor in part as it’s based on a 23.8” Panda IPS-type panel rather than the 24.5” AUO panel of the Acer. The AOC offers some potential advantages aside from cost, including having a smoother screen surface, slightly (but not substantially) stronger static contrast and more vibrant colour output. The Acer, on the other hand, offers rich and natural colour output with superior consistency. According to our own findings and user feedback we’ve received, the AOC’s panel is more prone to uniformity issues than the Acer’s panel. The Acer offers higher peak luminance and HDR support, although the AOC is more than bright enough for most users (and comfortably exceeds its specifications). And, of course, the HDR on the Acer is nothing to write home about. The Predator offers superior pixel responsiveness, surprisingly TN-like at 144Hz with its ‘Normal’ pixel overdrive setting. The strobe backlight setting is more useable on the Acer, too, due to lower central strobe crosstalk. It has a more robust ‘feel’ and arguably more premium look due in large part to the powder-coated metal stand. Whilst we don’t make a big thing about it in either review, the Acer also offers true 8-bit colour output vs. 6-bit + FRC dithering on the AOC. It’s finely controlled dithering and for most users it won’t make a difference, but we do know some appreciate the lack of dithering that the XB253Q GP provides. Overall, this is a competent gaming monitor, offering a pleasing mixture of colour quality and responsiveness. It’s well built, feature-rich and importantly performs well without any deal-breaking weaknesses.”

A lot of this applies to the comparison with the XB253Q GP as well, except that the colour gamut is closer to the Acer on that model and you don’t gain the wide gamut of the AOC 24G2(U). The consistency isn’t quite up to the level of the Acer and you will get some slight saturation losses on the ASUS that aren’t present on the Acer. The responsiveness of the ASUS is also somewhat weaker than the AOC and things aren’t as well tuned, so the Acer has an even clearer advantage there. Whether it’s worth paying more for the XB253Q GP is really quite an individual decision and it depends how important some of its advantages are to you. Or how much the relative weaknesses on the models with Panda panels may irritate you. If you’re struggling to weigh things up it might not hurt to give the cheaper of the two a try, you may just love it.

Edit: The AOC and ASUS are now based on a panel from BOE, replacing the Panda-based panel used on the monitor we reviewed. Further details here. The pixel responsiveness is now somewhat stronger but the contrast is weaker. The AOC retains its wide gamut backlight which is a unique feature of that model.

Hey, thank you for taking the time to update this post and sorry for the late reply.

I haven’t been checking the forums as often lately as the discount on the XB253Q GP has unfortunately expired around two weeks ago :(. Funnily enough, the AOC 24G2(U) just went from 210€ to 180€.

While i was waiting for the review to come out though, i did some additional research on adaptive sync vs g-sync module. One of the biggest reasons why i wanted to upgrade my monitor was to finally have a flawless experience when it comes to stuttering no matter the fps, and i found out that i would still be having issues on that front without a proper module. My current system can’t consistently push 100+ fps so i would be hovering around the 60 Hz threshold way too much for my tastes.

The announcement of the Nvidia 3000 series also changed things. With that kind of performance it could finally make sense to abandon 1080p. So i’m back to square one, i’ll have to bite the bullet and invest however much is needed for a proper 2/4k G-Sync monitor and build a whole new system to drive it. To be honest, i’m also considering a dual setup with a wall mounted 55″+ OLED TV for general use and a high refresh G-Sync gaming monitor, for probably the same money a visually pleasing gaming monitor would cost. Do you think something like that is viable/worth pursuing?

The impressive performance across the range for the RTX 3000 series has indeed shaken things up a bit and would likely be overkill for the Full HD resolution. I can certainly see the attraction of using a wall-mounted large OLED TV for general media consumption and a ‘simpler’ G-SYNC monitor for gaming purposes. It almost feels like heresy saying this, given the clear lack of OLED options for normal monitor-sized screens currently, but I’m a big fan of OLED technology. Very much enjoy using it on my phones and laptop and it’s great on large TVs. If you can situate it so that a screen of that sort of size makes sense, even if just for media consumption or general use, then that could certainly work well. I don’t personally intend to review anything OLED until it’s ~23 – 43″ in size but you can certainly make those larger screens work in the right situation.

It’s also worth mentioning that the comparison drawn in this thread applies equally to the VG249QGR, which is essentially the same monitor in a different chassis and stripped of its ergonomic flexibility or TUF branding.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.