24″ gaming monitor options

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    acpcm

Very please to find this forum – great information, analysis and far better considered opinions than I’ve found elsewhere.

I need to replace my Dell U2414hb which has given 10 years of excellent service for office work and gaming but has developed a backlight problem. I am happy with 24″ 1080p monitors. I may upgrade to 27″ 1440p in a few years when I upgrade my graphics card.

Looking at the recommended 24″ monitors, the KOORUI GP01 and AOC 24G2SP/24G2SPU are not available or discontinued in my region (AU). The ViewSonic XG2431 is expensive at $AU400 and 240Hz is overkill for the games I play, e.g., Skyrim, Morrowind, Dragons Dogma DA.

The monitors I’m considering are AOC 24G4 and Gigabyte G24F2-2.

Both are well reviewed at Monitors Unboxed with the 24G4 having a bit better performance all round. However, based on comments here it appears the G24F2-2 perfoms a better at lower refresh rates and I’m unlikely to be pushing high refresh rate with my current PC hardware. I prefer the G24F2-2 stand, build quality and rear-mounted OSD button over the 24G4.

The G24F2-2 also has a significant price advantage over 24G4 – AU$140 vs AU$180.

The G24F2-2 seems like a solid choice for me.

Are there any other options I’m missing?

PCM2

Hi acpcm and welcome,

I’m assuming the AOC Q24G2A isn’t an option for you, either? No matter – if you were planning to upgrade to a 27″ QHD model along with the graphics card later on there will be plenty of good options for you. With the options available to you the Gigabyte G24F 2 seems to offer the best price to performance ratio, I’d agree with that. I’m not sure what the ‘G24F2-2’ is, specifically, perhaps just some odd retailer designation for the G24F 2. But the G24F 2 is still a solid performer, overall.

acpcm

Hi PCM2. thanks for the feedback – much appreciated.

Yes, I am talking about the G24F 2. Not sure where I got G24F2-2 from but looking at monitor names all day may have fried my brain a little.
          The AOC Q24G2A is not available or discontinued in my region.

I’ll post my thoughts on the G24F 2 once I’ve got it.

acpcm

I’ve been using the G24F 2 for a few weeks now.

No dead pixels and absolutely no backlight bleed.

The default picture setting is ‘Standard’ which has a strong blue tint. Cycled through 9 picture settings and settled on custom 1 – spent a few hours tweaking various settings before sticking with custom 1 default setting with reduced brightness. Whites look white, grey scale performance is good without being outstanding and better than I expected. This display can get very bright.

Colours are somewhat over saturated but in a good way. I played with RGB settings but settled on those applied by the custom 1 defaults.

Text is clear – it looks a tad better in Linux Mint than W10.

Motion blur is very well controlled in gaming – none that I could detect in Dragons Dogma DA at any refresh rate. Confirmed that with Blur Busters.

Achieves 180hz out the box without over clocking on HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

The stand is good quality and compact. It is height and tilt adjustable but no pivot or rotation. Lots of creaking in the panel enclosure when adjusting the height and tilt.

Overall, the performance of this monitor, especially the gaming/motion blur control, is better than I was expecting based on the review by Hardware Unboxed – I suspect it has a different panel to their review sample.

PS, I’m a total amateur when it comes to testing monitors!

PCM2

Thanks for sharing your experience with the G24F 2, I’m glad they have been very positive. No doubt it will help others make the leap if they’re considering this model. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.