1440p high refresh rate monitor (TN vs IPS vs VA)

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 526 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post. We appreciate your support! And please read the rules before posting.

• Author

Your question is a good one and one even I can’t provide an answer to. It’s unfortunately unlikely that anybody here will have used both the FI27Q and FI27Q-P, but if they have they’d probably tell you the experience was very similar. Aside from differences which could be accounted for by inter-unit variation. The two models have their own sets of firmware, but that may be due to their different DP capabilities.

It’s possible there are some differences in the pixel response tuning, I was expecting somewhat higher overshoot than I saw when using the ‘Speed’ setting. Based on the review of the ‘non-P’ model by RTINGS. Although this is one of the reasons I don’t like relying on pixel response times and overshoot values over relatively narrow response time bands – they can paint a misleading or incomplete picture. I’d say that you can probably expect a similar experience on both and should make the decision based on price and availability. Or go for the ‘P’ model if you’re OCD and just want to know the monitor is handling the 10-bit colour signal itself under HDR (or you want to use it under SDR, at 165Hz, and you have an appropriate workflow). But the pixel reponse tuning is an open question. I’d encourage users of the FI27Q to make observations using TestUFO at various refresh rates and compare to the pursuit photographs in our written review. When it’s published, that is. I’ve already been in contact with a user via YouTube who owns the ‘non-P’ model and seems to be having some issues with overshoot at 120Hz. So I’m hoping he will be able to provide some thoughts when the pursuit photos are available. He might just be very sensitive to overshoot, because it does increase at 120Hz on the ‘P’ model but isn’t what I’d describe as strong.

We’ve just published our video review of the Gigabyte, so good timing I suppose. Compared to the BenQ EX2780Q, the performance is not miles away. The Gigabyte has a slight edge in pixel responsiveness, the panel variant is natively slightly faster and not just slightly higher refresh rate. The extra refresh rate can be a “nice bonus” if your frame rate is suitably high, but not a substantial difference. Most users wouldn’t notice a significant difference between either model and they’re both a huge upgrade over the VA options. You’ll be able to draw some comparisons for yourself with the written review of the Gigabyte is published. I didn’t notice any flickering on the EX2780Q despite observing a broad range of refresh rate bands (including with the Nvidia Pendulum demo, which is a good way to highlight issues there). It’s my view that some panels are just prone to that sort of thing and all models that use it will show it to some degree – and these Innolux IPS-type panels don’t have an inherent problem there.

I used FI27Q and FI27Q-P, but not at the same time.
      I got the FI27Q, somehow, before it was officially released and I don’t know is it because of the firmware or what, but FI27Q was having more overshoot than FI27Q-P that I got cca month and a half later. Regarding the picture quality, they were the same.
      The ones who remember me, know that I returned both of them ended with 27GL850 and 83A.

Mod edit: the excellent feedback and thoughts on those models are shared here with further thoughts and a comparison with a VA model here.

It says in the review of the EX2780Q that the floor of operation for gsync is 55. Is that regardless of the maximum refresh rate? If that’s the case then that’s something the FI27Q-P didn’t manage, since the floor was as high as 65 for 165hz and 60 for 144hz.

Yes, as covered in the review the floor of operation is 55Hz for Nvidia GPUs on the BenQ and 60Hz on the Gigabyte (@144Hz in both cases). I didn’t measure the floor at any lower refresh rates on the BenQ, the only reason I did it on the Gigabyte was that 65Hz (@165Hz) was significantly higher than the 48Hz for AMD GPUs.

Comparing 55Hz to a 60Hz floor of operation where there’s frame and refresh multiplation below that. You’d need to ask yourself how often your content is really going to be rising above and falling below 60fps. Is that going to happen more frequently than the frame rate fluctuating round 55fps? In other words, is that 55-60fps window important for you? And if you’re frequently dipping below 60fps on the Gigabyte, why are you using 144Hz rather than 120Hz (are their likely to be many peaks above 120fps?) I appreciate a wider range and lower floor of operation is better, but it’s not necessarily going to be an advantage in practice especially with such narrow margins. 🙂

Has anyone tried the Asus XG279Q? Specs wise it seems like a decent alternative to the FI27Q-P.

So I’m looking to replace my aging (built in 2014) PC in the coming months and with that I’ll be buying a new monitor. I’ve never spent more than $200 on a monitor before so I’m really lost when it comes to higher-end displays and what to look out for. I use my PC for just about everything, 2D/3D design and Illustration, web browsing, movie watching. I play a wide variety of games, both on my PC and consoles. My budget for a new monitor is $500 and I’d like to target 1440p, 144hz, and preferably 27″. I’ll most likely be buying an AMD RX 5700 XT gpu for my new build, though I’m not sure if that’s relevant to what monitor I buy? Preferably I’d like to mount it as well. What are my best options around this price point?

Hi Joel Morrison and welcome,

You’ve come to the right thread! I’d recommend reading through the last few pages for some recent recommendations. There are several others that are also worth looking through for futher thoughts:

https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/quest-for-high-refresh-rate-ips-or-va-perfection/
      https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/undecided-about-keeping-my-lg-27gl83a-other-options/
      https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/aorus-fi27q-p-vs-viewsonic-xg270qg-27-1440p-ips-showdown/
      https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/lg-27gl850-thoughts-review/

There are many options and many different opinions. But ultimately, you should focus on an IPS-type model for your uses. With your budget in mind and current price and availability accounted for, the BenQ EX2780Q stands out to me. You’ll get the best out of it (or any monitor) if you calibrate it with your own colorimeter or similar device – for the illustration and design work. But feel free to try the ICC profile included in our review, which should at least help with gamut mapping on colour-aware applications such as those you’d likely use for your projects. If not, the ‘Rec. 709’ setting (sRGB emulation mode) should serve you well – or the AMD-specific driver tweak, if you end up with an AMD GPU, that’s mentioned near the start of the colour reproduction section.

Hey all i was asked by Pc monitors to make a post about my recent purchase of the Benq EX2780Q . My backlight is very uniform and not nearly as bad as the one in the EX2780Q review. The colors and features are just great! I cannot believe how much detail i was missing on my old monitor! Like I can see indoors in witcher 3 without a torch and dark cutscenes that looked off in other games look great now!! Also I love that it has a remote… like why is that not more common? So if you all are considering this monitor I would say go for it! Some times a monitor can have varying levels of defects like the backlight bleed in pcmonitors’ review. So dont let a bad sample hold you back from trying an excellent monitor. Plus with amazon you can easily exchange it. Just make sure you get the drivers for it off Benqs website. (but honestly you should always get the drivers for any piece of hardware ). It is also currently 450 USD so Its got a really nice price for the features it has!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the BenQ EX2780Q, evilbob2200. I’ve had quite a few positive comments on it via email and a few on YouTube, so I was getting a bit frustrated that nobody was sharing feedback here. Your post is definitely a welcome addition to this thread and it’s great to see such positive thoughts. I also agree that people shouldn’t be put off by the bad uniformity of our sample. Judging from the box it had been through a tough time with couriers and had probably been passed around between various events before we got hold of it. That sort of rough treatment can certainly exacerbate uniformity issues. Whilst there are never any guarantees in that respect, it’s fair to say our sample is more representative of something you’d be quite unlucky to receive. There are plenty of better samples out there. I’m glad you got one and you’re enjoying the experience so much. 🙂

Thanks for all the reviews and thoughts everyone has posted about the 1440p 144hz options. It seems the BenQ is a really solid choice, and I really can’t decide between the BenQ or one of the LG Ultragears like the GL850.

The price between them is nearly the same for my region. The LG has worse uniformity and contrast, supposedly. But the LG has better responsiveness, and a smaller bezel (because of no speakers). I’m tempted just to get the BenQ because Adam reviewed it so thoroughly.

They’re certainly both enjoyable monitors. There’s no “supposedly” about the superior contrast of the BenQ, though, it’s a fact that static contrast is quite a bit stronger than it is on the current LG Nano IPS alternatives. The perceived contrast can be affected by dark uniformity issues, with ‘IPS glow’ being brought out strongly by excessive backlight bleed. This was the case with our BenQ unit, but as above not all units suffer this. Look at how we describe the contrast experience of the Gigabyte FI27Q-P, which had good dark uniformity, and the comparisons we draw with the LG Nano IPS models there. The video review’s contrast section includes some more detailed thoughts on that, really, so I’ll include that below for convenience.

In that review we’re mainly comparing with the ViewSonic XG270QG we’ve also reviewed, but you’re dealing with the same or slightly different variants of the same panels with the Gigabyte-ViewSonic vs. BenQ-LG comparisons. So similar points apply in both cases. The pixel responsiveness of the 27GL850 is certainly superior and that’s really a key differentiator for it, with the comparison again drawn in our reviews between the Innolux IPS-type panels and LG Nano IPS panels (XG270QG used as an example). But I’d wager that users would generally be more receptive of the contrast differences between them than pixel responsiveness differences. Assuming they didn’t get a unit with poor black uniformity. It’s all very subjective, though.

I quite liked the unique touches on the EX2780Q, on a personal note. I get quite sick of looking at dark-coloured monitors with conventional and ‘safe’ designs. I found the BenQ’s design refreshing and far nicer to look at in person than I expected from pictures. It blended in on the lightly-coloured wooden desk and the modern aesthetic of the room it was in just fine in my opinion. I also found the OSD remote surprisingly useful and missed not having it for most of the review, until it was finally sent to me. I also like how BenQ implements their Low Blue Light (LBL) settings; “the original and best” is how I’d describe them in terms of the balance they retain and their level of effectiveness. And some users would find the backlight more comfortable due to the adjusted blue peak, even I don’t consider myself overly sensitive to such things but found it a strangely relaxing monitor on the eyes. Again, subjective things really.

Hi,

I currently have an A352UCG as my main monitor, I bought it back in 2017 after reading your review. I’m using the same settings as your “test settings”. I really enjoy this monitor for gaming and to watch movies, I like the colors, I like the contrast, the deep blacks … I can stay in front of the monitor for more than 12 hours a day and don’t suffer from eye fatigue.

I bought a C27JG50 as a monitor for my setup at my parent’s house, I wanted something cheap, VA for those deep blacks and fast. After not using it for 2 months, I went back to it and it was horrendous, I played some rocket league and didn’t like the colors at all. In CoD I had a hard time seeing my opponents, the glare from the sniper’s scopes in the distance was almost invisible. It impacted my gaming experience in a really bad way. Oddly enough I found it too dark in games. I tried some different settings, I got it to be a little bit better but I definitely need a new monitor. This monitor is also missing VRR, which I want.

Ideally I’d like something like my A352UCG, but the amount of 27″ 1440p 144Hz+ VA monitors seem very limited and I’m not sure I want to try the Samsung CHG70, I thought about the AG273QX but the reviews are very limited as well. I then looked into IPS panels, I actually never used one, I went directly from a BenQ 24″ 1080p 60Hz TN display to the A352UCG. I watched and read reviews for hours and hours and didn’t manage to settle on a monitor in particular (with a budget of 500€). I had those monitors on my short list : LG 27GL850, LG 27GL83A, Asus TUF VG27AQ, BenQ EX2780Q. I finally went with the LG 27GL83A because it was the cheapest (440€ shipped) and because I couldn’t stand the C27JG50 anymore. I might send it back if I don’t like it even though I really don’t like doing that.

I wanted a monitor with good color reproduction, good responsiveness, good contrast, 1440p, 144Hz+ and Adaptive Sync, G-Sync is a plus. I plan to mainly game, watch youtube videos and browse the internet on this monitor. I don’t care about the ergonomics because I have some really nice monitor arms.
      I feel like the LG 27GL83A ticks most of what I want except for the contrast, but that’ll be an issue with most if not every IPS panel vs a VA panel.

Rereading through this it seems I completely missed some AOC VA monitors that could have fitted my needs : the curved variant of the AG273QX and the Q27G2U and it’s curved variant CQ27G2U (do the curved and non curved variants have the same panel ?).

Well, maybe I’ll have a nice surprise with the LG 27GL83A, I know where to look next in case it doesn’t suit me.

Hi Cardant and welcome,

That’s quite a journey – I hope the LG 27GL83A provides an enjoyable experience for you, more so than the Samsung did. It isn’t possible for a flat and curved monitor to share exactly the same panel, the curvature (or lack of) is part of the panel. The two AOC models are very close variants, though, with the physical curve being the main difference. As I described based on my side by side observations in this post and a few others in that thread you mentioned.

Thanks for the really helpful reply about my dilemma. Yes, it’s all very subjective and not an easy decision. Ultimately I think I’ll be happy with one of the Innolux variants, so I’m going to wait for a good deal on the EX2780Q or the FI27Q-P. There’s also that new Gigabyte G27Q that might be interesting.

I’m at an impasse. The Samsung SR75 Space Monitor and Dell S2719DGFare my two monitor selections available where I am and I can’t decide which one to get. They both are the same price and fit in my budget.

I have watched all the videos (by the way, yours on the S2719DGF is fantastic) and read all the reviews but I can’t make up my mind.

There’s also no way for me to take a look at them, so I’m buying blindly.

I’m not a competitive gamer, so the ultra-fast response time doesn’t worry me, although if the Samsung has terrible ghosting that would be unpleasant. Reviews seem to pit these two pretty equally, and I like the design of both, so it seems to come down to VA vs TN. I like the (theoretical) better contrast of the VA panel, but I’m not sure that will even be inherent, as I use my computer in a fairly bright room, so perhaps more monitor brightness (on the Dell) would be better.

Also, viewing angles of the TN panel are bad, which puts me off a bit, but according to what I’ve read, viewing angles of the VA panel are also bad!

Would you be able to help with my decision?

Hi AgentPooky,

I’ve merged your thread with this ‘mega-thread’ as it’s an appropriate place. Comparisons are drawn here between the Dell S2719DGF and 27″ VA options, which the Samsung S27R750Q is one of. It really boils down to whether you value contrast and a slight boost in colour consistency over stronger responsiveness. In a bright room you’re correct to note that the difference in contrast is going to be less apparent than a dim to moderately bright room. VA models certainly have their own viewing angle related limitations, as mentioned in this thread, our reviews and summarised in our panel types article. Less extreme than the vertical shifts on TN models, but you still lose saturation and have variation in perceived gamma. If you compare the central region of the screen to the bottom and sides, from a normal viewing position. This is most noticeable if you’re sitting relatively close to the screen. There are other issues to be aware of with the Samsung and other models with similar panels and I’d highly recommend reading through this thread for some more food for thought.

Thanks for your detailed response. After reading about the panel in the Samsung, it looks like any extra contrast I would be gaining may be let down by the ‘VA glow’. The Dell seems to offer good colour and vibrancy from what I’ve read, and is also built really well. My only concern really is the gamma shift from the top to the bottom of the screen, but I’m sure it’s not too terrible.

I am considering buying either the Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0″ 2560×1440 165 Hz Monitor, or the Dell S2719DGF 27.0″ 2560×1440 155 Hz Monitor. I am leaning towards the Asus monitor. Are LED screens good for gaming? Can either monitor handle dark and light games well? Any pros and cons of either monitor would be greatly appreciated!

Hi ARandomDoge,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s a suitable place and both options are discussed. This thread is very long and it would be tedious to read right through it, unless you’re very bored. So this would be a good point to re-focus on certain points and the relevant comparison between two distinct panel types (IPS and TN). So I apologise that the post is long, but I pride myself in being thorough and offering answers which will be useful not just to the person who asked the question but also other curious minds out there.

All modern monitors, with very few exceptions are, “LED screens”. That simply refers to an LCD monitor with an LED backlight, which are extremely common. The light source really has very little to do with how “good” they are for gaming, but it dictates the colour gamut or range of colours that the monitor can display. Essentially, how vibrant things appear. I’d recommend reading this article if you’re interested in the topic. Both models you’re considering have a similar colour gamut. There are options out there with a wider colour gamut, if you prefer colours to look more saturated and vibrant. The BenQ I mention below is a good example.

The important difference to be aware of between these two is the panel type. The Dell S2719DGF uses a TN panel, priding itself around rapid pixel response times (and a decent all-round performance in other areas, not bad at all for the price). The VG27AQ uses an IPS-type panel, so offers better colour reproduction and consistency. That is to say shades maintain their appearance regardless where on the screen they’re viewed. That’s not the case on TN models like the Dell, which show some noteworthy shifts vertically. This is explored in detail in the review of the Dell, which is well worth setting some time aside to read and absorb. The video review is worth a watch as well – together, this will give you the best idea of what to expect from the monitor short of using it yourself. If you want a ‘quick and dirty’ summary of the differences, it would be worth reading our panel types article.

A plus for the Dell is that it lacks any ‘IPS glow’, which the ASUS certainly does have. This is a bloom of light which is shown and described in our reviews of models with IPS-type panels. The BenQ EX2780Q, for example. It affects the ‘atmosphere’ and detail levels for dark content in affected regions, generally towards the bottom corners of the screen from a normal viewing position. You won’t notice this much if at all in a moderately well-lit or brighter room, though, so it depends how you want to game. If you’re like most people, that will mean a broad range of lighting conditions throughout the day – you’ll notice it in dimmer daylight and also in the evening with the lights on in your room, unless they’re supremely bright. 😉 It’s also dependent on brightness setting (brighter intensifies the ‘glow’), how close you’re sitting to the screen (closer intensifies the ‘glow’) and if the screen has other uniformity issues such as backlight bleed and clouding, which can bring the ‘IPS glow’ out more strongly.

As noted previously the main strength of the ASUS VG27AQ is the consistency of colours. They’re richer overall than on the Dell, even though the Dell is quite good for a TN panel in that respect (once set up correctly). Whilst it has ‘IPS glow’, which the Dell doesn’t have, the strong consistency also extends to its handling of dark shades – not black, specifically, but the sort of shades you’d see dominating in dark scenes on games. There are perceived gamma shifts on the Dell, as described in the review, which affect detail levels when comparing higher up vs. lower down the screen. How bright or dark a given shade appears. Pixel responses are not as good on the ASUS as on the Dell, though, so you get a bit of ‘powdery trailing’ in places. The sort of thing explored in detail in our review of models like the BenQ I linked to in my previous paragraph. The pixel responses are not bad at all for the panel type on the ASUS, they’re faster than on the BenQ for example, but you still get a bit of ‘powdery’ trailing in places that you wouldn’t get on the Dell. You may not notice or care about these slight weaknesses, though.

The main weakness in performance on the ASUS actually comes as refresh rate decreases. Which happens if you’re using Adaptive-Sync (FreeSync or ‘G-Sync Compatible Mode’), which you almost certainly would be, and the frame rate drops. You’ll notice ridiculous amounts of overshoot (inverse ghosting – refer to our reviews or this article) unless you lower the ‘TraceFree’. Which is the name ASUS gives to their pixel response speed or grey to grey acceleration level setting. And in doing so some very slow pixel responses are introduced. The Dell offers a more competent performance in that respect as well. As noted in the review, the response time setting I’d personally use on the Dell differs at lower refresh rates (say, double digits) vs. higher refresh rates. ‘Fast’ for high refresh rates and ‘Normal’ for lower refresh rates, but some users would find ‘Normal’ fine at all times. On the ASUS you’d really need to set ‘TraceFree’ to ‘0’ to avoid unsightly overshoot at about 80Hz and below (80fps and below in game, using Adaptive-Sync) and that gives you some very slow pixel responses.

So it isn’t really a straightforward choice. As with any monitor, they both have their pros and cons. I can certainly see the attraction of the VG27AQ at the current price, it provides a good ‘rich and natural’ look to the image with good colour and gamma consistency. It offers a competent experience at high refresh rates as well, without obvious weaknesses. But I personally see the S2719DGF as the better choice if you’re primarily interested in strong pixel responses, you’re frequently finding frame rate dipping into the double digits in games or you’re allergic to ‘IPS glow’. If part of what makes colours appealing to you is the vibrancy or ‘wow factor’, considering a wider gamut IPS-type alternative like the BenQ EX2780Q might be wise. The BenQ offers a nicer performance at reduced refresh rates (double digits) compared to the ASUS, too, so that’s something to consider. In fact it’s arguably better than the Dell as well, if you’re closer to 60Hz (~60fps) than 100Hz+ (~100fps+).

Okay, so here’s some feedback after purchasing, and subsequently returning, the Dell S2719DGF.

First off, the build quality is awesome. It’s really well made and looks super nice.

I returned it for two reasons.

1. I’m coming from a Dell U2412M and I immediately noticed a difference in colour and contrast. The S2719DGF was a bit washed out, even after installing an ICC profile and fiddling with the settings, and the shifts in contrast/gamma weren’t nice to my eyes. It also seemed quite dark compared to my current monitor.

2. I wanted to purchase it for the 144hz, but after trying it out, I feel like for me, I don’t need more than 60hz. I liked the general responsiveness improvement, but I’m very much a casual gamer and like my monitor to look really vibrant and clear for atmospheric games – I don’t mind sacrificing a bit of responsiveness.

So I guess it’s back to square one for me with some more insight:

– I only need 60hz
      – I liked the bigger screen size for sure
      – I value great colours and contrast

Where to from here?

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 526 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.