1440p freesync monitors?

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   1440p freesync monitors?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PCM2 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!
  • Author

serpens

Hi,
    First of all; I am happy to see lots of good information and thorough arguments on this website. Second; I know this is another “help me choose” thread – my excuse is: Choosing a monitor is really hard – easily the hardest component to select.

I have read through the recommendations, but the recommended 1440p monitors are not so tempting.

I have been reading/thinking about Korean monitors from Pixio and Microboard. However, I currently have a 27” 1440p Qnix and the backlight bleed is often irritating. I understand there is “variable” performance wrt. backlight bleed also in new Korean monitors. I am therefore thinking more in terms of mainstream monitors.

My usage:
    Mostly games – story driven games like Fallout, Tomb raider, Witcher; but also FPS like Overwatch, TF. Kids games like Lego and Hearthstone. Some browsing and movies.

Requirements:
    Size: At least 27”
    Resolution: 1440p – I believe the RX480 is not really useful at higher resolutions.
    Freesync

Preferences:
    Viewing angle: Oftentimes there are 2 persons/kids using the screen, so I am a little skeptical vs. TN. Also curved monitors are less than optimal.
    I tend to be irritated by backlight bleed in dark scenes with my current Qnix monitor
    I am able to ignore dead pixels, so this is not a big concern for me
    I believe I can see a difference going from 60 – 100, but I am not “sold” on higher refresh rates
    A 21:9 monitor would be OK – but not a big driver for me
    Adjustments/esthetics and price is not very important to me.

December 13, 2016 at 10:31 pm #40819

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi serpens and welcome,

The range and overall capabilities of 2560 x1440 IPS-type FreeSync models is lacking compared to their G-SYNC counterparts. Quite unfortunate given that, for most other resolutions, there is a far greater variety of FreeSync models with plenty of very competent performers out there. You are absolutely correct that it would be something of a lottery with respect to backlight bleed and even if you did get a perfect model, you’d still have IPS-glow (or more correctly AHVA glow) to contend with. There are added complications with some of the models:

1) The Pixio PX277 is not flicker-free as it uses PWM at 240Hz. It is misleading marketing. Although this isn’t as obnoxious as lower PWM frequencies, it affects motion clarity and can also accelerate eye fatigue or cause more immediate discomfort in some individuals.

2) The Acer XF270HU has issues with overdrive not working once FreeSync is enabled. Aforementioned quality control issues apply.

3) The ASUS MG279Q seems to be particularly poor as far as quality control goes and seems to suffer fairly severe backlight bleed more often than not. If you get a good unit, though, it’s really quite decent. Might be worth considering if you can purchase from somewhere with a good returns policy (I appreciate you’re from Norway, so that may not be in a way that supports out site).

Since you mention particularly disliking backlight bleed (and I’d think, naturally, IPS/AHVA glow), you’re happy to try 21:9 models, you’re not “sold” on higher refresh rates than 100Hz and you’re not concerned about price you may want to consider the upcoming Samsung C34F791. Those that have experienced a curved monitor (and admittedly, this model has a particularly steep curve) usually always have some reservations about the curve itself, but that almost invariably disolves once they use it for a little bit. Your concerns with respect to TN models due to viewing angles with mutliple viewer is fair enough but I really don’t think the curve should be an immediate turn-off as it can in fact enhance the viewing experience when slightly off-centre and indeed centrally. You’d have to be extremely off-centre for this to be a problem, really.

December 14, 2016 at 12:16 am #40820

serpens

Hi,
    Thanks a lot for your quick and thorough reply.

Are there any good TN monitor options ?

I have seen some interesting discussion of Microboard M340CLZ – I guess there would be backlight and quality risks with this option.

I’ill make a small paypal donation for the upkeep of a this quality site.

December 14, 2016 at 7:49 am #40821

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi serpens,

The BenQ XL2730Z as per the recommendations section. Now replaced with a ‘ZOWIE’ branded model but it’s exactly the same thing just re-branded according to my BenQ contacts.

And the donation is appreciated. 🙂

December 14, 2016 at 10:02 pm #40847

serpens

ok, I kind of skipped past the XL2730Z due to it being a TN panel and I got an impression that it was a bit dated. I now see multiple sources recommending its performance and quality.

The C34F791 is a very interesting. Negatives would be that actual performance and quality still is a bit unknown. I find the RX480 fine for “normal” 1440p with som settings tuned down, but the 3440×1440 will be demanding – maybe one could run games in windowed mode with normal width? Other times it would be very nice to have a wide screen.

December 14, 2016 at 10:16 pm #40848

PCM2
    Keymaster

I realise as well that you were concerned about viewing angle limitations of TN models like the BenQ XL2730Z due to multiple viewers. But remember that it’s mainly vertical viewing angles that are an issue with TN models, so viewers to the sides of the screen isn’t such a problem. People standing up or lying down whilst viewing the screen would be, however. I have used 3440 x 1440 models on a Radeon 290 with few issues. It’s just a case of tweaking a few settings – with such a pixel density, for example, 2x MSAA is generally fine. They also tend to interpolate nicely at 2560 x 1080 which is much less demanding, but given that interpolation is used there is a degree of softening which isn’t ideal.

The alternative is indeed to view the screen in 2560 x 1440 16:9 with a 27″ diagonal region of the screen illuminated and large black borders to the side. Again, not ideal, but perhaps some titles could be run in native 3440 x 1440 and more demanding titles (or those that don’t actually support 21:9) could be run in this way.

January 3, 2017 at 12:00 am #41169

serpens

I have put in a preorder for the Samsung C34F791.

Not too much on the net now – one youtube review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4vw3odP3I4

mediocre feedback – not too sure about how objective the review is.

January 3, 2017 at 8:44 am #41170

PCM2
    Keymaster

We’ll be providing a proper review as soon as a sample is made available to us.

January 11, 2017 at 8:01 pm #41308

serpens

It seems that the usable freesync range on the Samsung is much less than advertised. Reports indicate that ‘standard freesync range’ mode should be used to avoid flickering – I guess the reports are credible – it is also said that the Samsung docs. describe that potential problems with the ‘ultimate freesync range’. I believe the ‘standard freesync range’ is mostly useless with current gen AMD cards (unless you lower resolution / quality and/or play older generation games). With RX480 I would certainly expect to be within the 40-80 fps range much of the time. I got a good price on my order – I will be cancelling it unless the freeesynd support is not clarified soon. The whole thing pisses me off a bit.

Then I will be looking towards TN panels (as recommended in this thread). Maybe the Benq or perhaps Aoc Agon AG271QX.

January 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm #41311

PCM2
    Keymaster

Apparently corrected with a new Samsung driver for the monitor. Still monitoring this (pun intended).

January 12, 2017 at 10:31 pm #41317

serpens

Good – estimated delivery is the 25th for my part so there is still some time to see how this plays out.

January 24, 2017 at 2:52 pm #41452

PCM2
    Keymaster

So what did you decide?

January 24, 2017 at 10:42 pm #41456

serpens

I still have my order. I have a 14 day return period (I pay freight) that can be used in case freesync does not work out. I will post my personal impression when I get it.

it is listed expected to be delivered to the store tomorrow.

January 26, 2017 at 11:31 pm #41467

serpens

and now it is listed for 1. march

February 9, 2017 at 10:17 pm #41595

serpens

I got the monitor 2 days ago. First impressions:

Monitor appears
    The curve and the wide format is nice.
    Freesync appears to be working correctly in ultimate mode, but I have not tested a lot.

The monitor came With a calibration certificate, but brightness was at 100 and did not make much sense to me. I have been struggling a bit to get it “just right”.

Right now some text appear unclear – check “forum” in header. Text in browser looks good. (the banding is not there irl – my mobile cam is not high quality)
    screen pic
    I have the opportunity to Return the monitor – I am not sure I will be keeping it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.