1080p 144Hz Monitor

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 136 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!

• Author

Hi Player1,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as the models you mentioned in your original title are all discussed here. So some key notes here:

– The ASUS MG248Q has better gamma tracking and richer colours overall with just OSD tweaking, compared to the AOC G2460PF. It also has better optimised grey to grey acceleration, with less inverse ghosting.

– The ViewSonic XG2401 is superior to the MG248Q in both respects, which is why it is recommended here.

– The Samsung C24FG70 is a different beast. One that I’m personally quite fond of, but only if you can get one from somewhere with a decent returns policy. This applies to most monitors really, though. It offers superior colour vibrancy, vastly superior contrast – just better image quality overall. But some weaknesses in pixel responsiveness. This is all explored in detail in the review. Further points to consider are highlighted in this thread.

Thanks for great reply!
    Does Asus and AOC use same panel? The reason I am asking is that back where I live Asus costs 60$ more and I doubt it is worth the price..
    AOC and Samsung price difference is 100$. I wonder if input lag / response time is noticeably worse on Samsung when fps is dipping? Image quality is far superior though..

Yes. In fact all of the 144Hz TN models currently available use either the same panel or an extremely similar variant of the same panel. The input lag on the Samsung does not change according to refresh rate rate (certainly the signal delay doesn’t, which is the element you ‘feel’). The overshoot issue at lower frame rates is covered in the review, but I’d again like to stress that it’s subjective and not everybody minds/notices this.

And it isn’t just the Samsung that has issues at lower frame rates. It’s actually very common on FreeSync models for there to be some issues with overshoot at lower refresh rates (i.e. lower frame rates when FreeSync is enabled). The issue is also highlighted in the G2460PF review. This ViewSonic doesn’t have this issue, though, and I don’t think the ASUS does (although it might – I haven’t tested this myself).

After consideration I have decided to go with Samsung, thanks for your help!

A wise choice I feel, I hope you enjoy it! 🙂

Hello, do you think it is worth changing the Asus MG248Q by the Samsung C24FG70? I did not just convince the panel TN

Hello! I’m wondering which of these monitors I should buy for my new computer. Both of these cost $400AUD. I have a GTX 1060 (already have comp so can’t change to Radeon 480) so I won’t be able to make use of the FreeSync technology and getting a G-sync monitor will cost me $125 extra so, being on a budget, I don’t think this would be worth it as if i’m not sitting above 144fps I intend to just lower some settings or cap at 60 fps. This doesn’t seem like it will be a problem anyway as most harder to run games seem to reach 100+ fps on maxed out settings, all i’d need to do is tweak a couple settings and would be all good.

Info on other monitors I’ve seen that seem to be better: LG 24GM77-B – Can’t seem to find anywhere in Australia that sells this. Samsung G70 (VA panel) – Costs $125 extra so not really fitting budget. I have played games for a fair few years and always used TN panels and haven’t had any major issues. Obviously a VA panel would be better but i’d like to have a cheaper alternative if I decide to save the money.

As long as either monitor doesn’t suffer from any input lag (I don’t know if true or just misread but the ViewSonic might of had something like this) then I’m happy to go with either. I have read that the BenQ monitor would require some tweaking in the settings because it is bad out of the box but I would be fine with that. Additional features are also a plus! I would probably choose low input lag over average colours if that helps. I “THINK” that after reading other posts the ViewSonic XG2401 is supposed to be the better choice but hopefully i’ll confirm that here. Thanks for reading!

@ kkiiker,

Yes I do think it’s worth changing to the Samsung if you found the image quality of the MG248Q ‘unconvincing’. I’ve merged your thread with this one as there is some discussion on that model and some points of comparison. Really, though, I would hope you’d find the C24FG70 review convincing as well. 🙂

@ Jethross,

Those two models are compared in this thread and also compared to other models, so I’ve merged your thread with this one so I don’t have to repeat myself. But in short, you’re correct that the ViewSonic XG2401 would be the one to go for if the Samsung was outside your budget. As mentioned earlier in this thread the LG model is very good but actually a bit weaker than the ViewSonic in some respects. A potential advantage of the LG and BenQ models are their strobe backlight modes, which the ViewSonic does not have. Most users prefer to use the regular ‘flicker-free’ 144Hz mode anyway, so wouldn’t really see this as an advantage anyway.

Thanks for that info! I’ve had a read through the thread and yes it does seem the Viewsonic is the one to go for! Just wondering though, I read a post stating that along with being heavily advertised, the BenQ model has low response times. Is the response time and input lag of the BenQ still similar to the Viewsonic in that it’s just a minor difference? I play CS:GO as well so this aspect would be important competitively.

I basically have the “all the pros are using it so why shouldn’t I” mentality thanks to hardcore advertising which is why I’m so hesitant on going with the Viewsonic despite everything saying it’s better hahah.

The ViewSonic actually has better pixel responsiveness than the BenQ in the sense that it has less overshoot (inverse ghosting) without having more conventional trailing (i.e. it is better tuned). And as per the review input lag is extremely low. You have to remember that the ‘hardcore advertising’ and tournament sponsoring that BenQ/Zowie do is exactly that. Paid sponsorship. They aren’t bothered about selling users the best products, they’re concerned about people getting paid to promote a product. Nothing more.

Better image quality, better response and only slight difference in input lag which is already low… think I’m sold! Going to order the Viewsonic tomorrow! Thanks for the purchasing help. Lastly, does it come setup pretty well or should I follow any information in the review to set it up properly?

I’d advise taking a look at the ‘Test Settings’ in the review, but note that individual units vary so you can’t simply copy somebody else’s (i.e. our) settings and expect things to work perfectly on your unit. They should give a good base to start from though.

Hi again! Should be getting my monitor tomorrow so keen on that!

Just have a question that’s been on my mind for a long time actually. I’ve noticed that 60fps videos on youtube look a lot smoother than my actual gameplay. I’ve found this is basically because of frame timing and it’s complete 60fps without any other interference. Sorry if I’m not explaining it exactly correct but should be roughly right. Anyway, I’ve also read that g-sync is supposed to make this area a heap better and smoother in a sense. However, without G-sync, I’m wondering if the “smoothness” of a 60fps youtube video will not look as good as the smoothness of playing a game at 144hz with no sync?

It depends on the frame rate. If you’re talking about running a game at 144fps without G-SYNC, that would look considerably more fluid (i.e. lower perceived blur) than any 60fps content. This is explored in our reviews and indeed this article.

So a 60hz monitor with G-Sync (or freesync) will look more “smoother” than a regular 60hz monitor… and the same would apply to a 144hz G-sync monitor looking smoother than a non g-sync but because of high framerates the difference would be not as bad as the 60hz monitors? I just noticed watching a 60 fps CSGO video that it’s smoothness is a lot better than me in-game and that G-sync would make it better so I’m wondering how major this change would be at 144.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.