1080p 144Hz Monitor

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   1080p 144Hz Monitor

This topic contains 79 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  PCM2 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!
  • Author

lukas101
    Participant

Hello.
    Im looking for an upgrade my old Samsung 19″, to new 144hz 24inch gaming monitor (probably with g-sync). Which of these should I choose:
    Asus pg248q
    Acer xb241h
    Aoc g2460pg
    Or should i wait for 144hz ips 24inch?:)

Specs:
    Intel Core i5 4670 3,4GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 24GB ram.
    Thanks for all help.

October 31, 2016 at 2:19 pm #40516

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi Lukas,

Take a look through this thread, which I merged yours with. All of those models and others are discussed already.

It’s up to you whether to wait for the unicorn a 144Hz 24″ Full HD IPS model. No models are currently in the pipeline, so whilst that doesn’t guarantee there won’t be one, it does suggest it will be some way off if it does manifest itself. LG and indeed Samsung are certainly both experimenting with higher refresh rate panels more for new and near-future parts, so I wouldn’t be entirely surprised to see this sort of things next year.

December 13, 2016 at 9:24 am #40812

aldoc
    Participant

Hi!

I want to buy a new monitor for my pc. I mainly use it for gaming, but there are some periods when I also use it for programming.
    I didn’t want to spend to much money on it, around 200€, but after studying the market I think I should spend about 260-280€ aprox.

I want it around 24″ and if it’s possible with speakers (they don’t need to be really good, and it’s not a must).
    I’ve seen that for my use I may choose a TN monitor, and since I mainly play dps games, I may want 144hz or similar.

I’ve seen these models:

AOC G2460PF (260€) – https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pf/
    BenQ ZOWIE XL2411 (288€) – https://pcmonitors.info/benq/benq-xl2411z-and-xl2420z/

AOC has free-sync, and I’ve now a nvida that will be replaced this next summer (maybe for an AMD).
    Even with my nvidia, will I make use of these 144hz?

Maybe you can also suggest me other models.

Thanks and best regards

December 13, 2016 at 9:32 am #40816

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi aldoc,

These options and many others are discussed in this thread, which I’ve merged yours with. Important summary:

ViewSonic XG2401 offers superior image quality and motion handling to the G2460PF and XL2411Z (ZOWIE branded or otherwise), hence it is recommended. That aside, the XL2411Z and G2460PF both offer similar image quality and are very responsive monitors. They can also both be improved by applying ICC profiles to correct gamma handling. Users report the ICC profiles included in our G2460PF and XL2420Z (very similar to XL2411Z) review generally work well, but as explained they aren’t necessarily optimal for all units.

January 5, 2017 at 10:09 am #41163

EbenTian
    Participant

Hi everyone…i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you should also using settings on your current 60Hz monitor that would provide frame rate dips below 60fps to see how you find it. That would give a bit of an indication of how 70fps might appear on a 144Hz monitor.

January 5, 2017 at 10:11 am #41197

PCM2
    Keymaster

Sorry for the late moderation of your post, EbenTian. Welcome to the forum. 🙂

Yes that’s a good point. If you want to assess your sensitivity to stuttering/tearing you should see how you find some slight drops on a 60Hz display. Tearing and stuttering becomes less noticeable as frame rate increases, though, so that wouldn’t give a fair indication of tearing or stuttering that would be expected just below 144fps (for example). If you find the dips below 60fps on a 60Hz monitor to be absolutely fine, then you’ll have no problem with the dips on a 144Hz monitor. 🙂

January 9, 2017 at 1:48 pm #41257

combataran
    Participant

I’ve read the reviews for both displays. Assuming the Zowie 2411 to be comparable to the 2420 in terms of performance(I don’t expect better, since the 2411 is cheaper), and both costing about the same in my country, which would be the best bang for my buck?

Also, I found a couple of reddit threads talking about how the Viewsonic has higher overall latency, etc and I’d like to know if that’s in any way true or not.

Thanks.

January 9, 2017 at 1:51 pm #41260

PCM2
    Keymaster

This is covered here, so I’ve merged your thread.

The XG2401 offers superior image quality without intervention from an ICC profiile and also has better tuned overdrive. The only real advantage of the X2411Z (ZOWIE brand or original version – seem to be very similar) is the ‘Blur Reduction’ strobe backlight mode, which you may or may not be interested in.

January 10, 2017 at 5:16 am #41277

combataran
    Participant

I found a couple of forum threads about the interlace pattern artifacts, all started by the same person. Would this become a problem down the line? I’m pretty much set on getting the 2401 since I have no use for blur reduction, and should this problem surface, do I just RMA it right away?

January 10, 2017 at 8:34 am #41278

PCM2
    Keymaster

I’m not sure why you decided to link to forum threads for an issue that’s already covered in our review. Especially since they are in fact using the image from our review as an example. And it isn’t something that ‘becomes a problem down the line’. You either find it bothersome or you don’t, and that will become apparent quite quickly.

February 24, 2017 at 8:03 pm #41791

kantaki
    Participant

I have read though some of your reviews and I am a bit confused. I have only read good things about the ViewSonic XG2401 but looking at the blurbusters screenshot that looks pretty terrible.

At least if I would compare this to the samsung-c24fg70. I am not quite sure what “fastest” here means. Does this mean strobe light was activated with the side effect of reduced brightness and washed out colors?

I really hate blur and I currently have an Benq xl2420t. Strobe backlight looks really impressive but I never use it because the colors look more grayish and the brightness is way too low for me. (At least on my xl2420t.)

February 24, 2017 at 8:13 pm #41796

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi kantaki and welcome,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it is very relevant and I feel this would add to the thread in a positive way. The appropriate context is given in the reviews, in the text surrounding the pursuit photographs, and further explanation of what you’re looking at is given in this article. I appreciate it is quite technical. To clarify a few key points:

– The row to really focus on for the ViewSonic is 144Hz using the ‘Advanced’ response time setting. If you compare this to an appropriate reference, which is actually done in the review and given with the accompanying picture (final column of the pursuit photograph collection), you’ll see that the ViewSonic performs very similarly. You see no more perceived blur than you would on any other sample and hold 144Hz monitor really.

– Any other response time setting on the ViewSonic is sub-optimal, as explained in the review. You either get extra trailing (‘Off’) or significant overshoot (‘Ultra Fast’).

– Both the ‘Faster’ and ‘Fastest’ response time setting of the C24FG70 activate the ‘Impulsive Scanning’ strobe backlight feature, as explained in the review. That specifically reduces perceived blur by causing the backlight to pulse at a frequency matching the frame rate. Of course the image looks sharper – that’s the point.

You seem to be fully aware of how strobe backlights work, given that you own the XL2420, but perhaps were unaware that the Samsung you are using when comparing the images uses such a feature if you set the response time to ‘Faster’ or ‘Fastest’.

February 27, 2017 at 10:33 am #41805

kantaki
    Participant

I just went with the Viewsonic and I am a bit confused. The image is really yellow compared to my Benq xl2420t. http://i.imgur.com/1YYyjRY.jpg (The viewsonic is on the left).

Although on the captured image the Viewsonic looks pretty good and the Benq looks a bit too blueish, but in real life the Benq is really white.

It is really quite strange to have such a big color difference between the monitors. I turned down the red on the Viewsonic(95, 90, 100) and the blue on the Benq by a huge amount(100, 94, 80). Now the difference isn’t as staggering anymore.

Is it really that common to turn the brightness down to around 30? My room usually is pretty dark but I don’t really want to go below 80 brightness on the Viewsonic.

February 27, 2017 at 6:40 pm #41816

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi kantaki,

It is highly likely that neither the XG2401 or XL2420T are running at 6500K. Whilst it may well be the case that the ViewSonic is running below the 6500K common daylight target (perhaps closer to 6000K), it’s also likely that the BenQ is running beyond 6500K (perhaps closer to 7000K). This creates an obvious contrast in white points and you’ve grown accustomed to the cool blue of the BenQ rather than a neutral white. This would mean the ViewSonic, which is already ‘slightly warm’ now looks very warm and yellow in comparison.

If you turn the brightness down to ’30’ without any adjustments to colour channels on the ViewSonic (i.e. use the factory defaults except for brightness), then you’d be at around 150 cd/m2 which is a decent level for a reasonably bright room. If you then change the colour channels as you have done, this would drop to perhaps 135 cd/m2 which is a good brightness – brighter than some users would like, not as bright as others. But clearly right for your eyes given that’s what you’ve settled on. I don’t see why you ‘don’t want to go below 80 brightness’ given that this is a retina-scorching 310 cd/m2. Far too bright to be comfortable for most users, and really no point if you’re comfortable using a lower brightness.

April 11, 2017 at 11:39 am #42580

Player1

Is there huge difference between AOC & Asus Panels? – Does Samsung have a lot more input lag compares to these TN panels?

I am looking to buy new monitor to play Quake Champions,Overwatch and CS GO. I’m currently rocking HP ZR24w so I expect improvement in any case 🙂

Recommendations?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.