1080p 144Hz Monitor

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   1080p 144Hz Monitor

This topic contains 69 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  PCM2 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
Buying a monitor? Please refer to this thread. We appreciate your support!
  • Author

Nanaki

I am planning to buy a new 1080p 144hz monitor, I’ve been thinking of BenQ XL2430T, but I have some questions regarding 144Hz.

1. What would happen if the monitor is running at 144hz, but I am only getting 70fps in a game? Do I need to activate V-Sync to make FPS<>Hz the same? Or its better to just leave 144Hz active even if you are only gaming at 70 fps?

2. Is Adaptative Sync that important? Because XL2430T does not have it.

Is the BenQ XL2430T the best option out there for this range of prices? Or there are better options?

Thank you.

June 8, 2016 at 1:40 pm #39340

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi Nanaki,

To better appreciate FreeSync and its advantages and whether it could offer the sort of experience you’re after, I’d highly recommend reading the relevant section of our AOC G2460PF review. This answers your questions in great detail. To answer your questions very briefly, however:

1) You can’t ‘make ‘make FPS and Hz the same’ unless the monitor supports adaptive refresh rate technologies such as Adaptive-Sync (for AMD FreeSync) or Nvidia G-SYNC. I’d highly recommend reading our G-SYNC article as it summarises the advantages of such technologies and the implications of not having it rather nicely.

2) Everybody has different sensitivities to tearing or stuttering, which are unavoidable consequences of the traditional frame rate and refresh rate mismatches. Some users don’t really notice this too much, whilst others find it very jarring. Again, you should read a relevant review for a better idea of what to expect and have a think about where you sit on this spectrum. You should also try using settings on your current 60Hz monitor that would provide frame rate dips below 60fps to see how you find it. That would give a bit of an indication of how 70fps might appear (more or less) on a 144Hz monitor.

The BenQ XL2430T is a decent choice for the price. However; core performance is essentially very similar to the considerably cheaper XL2411Z currently featured in our recommendations section. A potential limitation is that it only offers Dual-Link DVI for 144Hz output – this is a fairly dated port and new GPUs such as the GTX 1070, GTX 1080 and Radeon RX 480 do not actually have DVI ports. So that is something to be aware of if you do intend to upgrade your GPU and still use the XL2411Z.

Given this the XL2430T may well be an attractive choice. It certainly offers a lot of useful options to tweak in the OSD and offers good core gaming performance with excellent responsiveness in particular. It’s essentially very similar in that respect to the XL2420Z that we’ve reviewed in detail. Then again, these are models which will need to be fully calibrated (or at least using an ICC profile to correct gamma) to get the most out of them. So in that respect (i.e. once calibrated or the gamma is corrected) the AOC G2460PF might seem an attractive alternative given the price and FreeSync support.

June 8, 2016 at 6:34 pm #39341

Nanaki

Thank you so much PCM2, very useful articles about G-Sync, I could learn a lot.

At the end, you mention XL2430Z, but I couldn’t find anything about this monitor, the only one similar the XL2430T that I mentioned.
    About XL2411Z, I don’t like its aesthetics and the port limitation really bothers me, so it is not in my options.

Either way, I’ve never experienced any kind of tearing or stuttering in my current 60Hz monitor and for sure I play at more than 60 dps, so I don’t think I’ll notice this kind of effects, so paying for a G-Sync technology is not in my plans, for now. Well, maybe I won’t even notice a 144Hz, but I’ve to try.

Considering that, would you still purchase the BenQ XL2430T? What would be your recomendation?
    Also, I couldn’t find any differences with XL2420Z beside different aesthetics.

June 8, 2016 at 6:40 pm #39342

PCM2
    Keymaster

If you’re happy enough to play at 60fps+ on a 60Hz monitor and not use VSync, I don’t really think Adaptive-Sync can offer you much. It is for people who find the tearing/juddering effects of frame rate diverging from refersh rate to be very off-putting where VSync is disabled. Or equally dislike the stuttering or latency associated with VSync being enabled.

The XL2430T‘s aesthetics are the main differences – further differences are highlighted in the news article I’ve linked to already. As I’ve said, core performance is similar to the cheaper XL2411Z (and XL2420Z, although in some countries that is not readily available now).

June 8, 2016 at 6:44 pm #39343

Nanaki

OK, thank you very much. I will go for the XL2430T then… I hope it doesn’t disappoint me 🙂

June 30, 2016 at 12:17 pm #39489

exertion

Hey guys,
    http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/NDtHNN

Currently in the midst of building a new system, and I need a good monitor that’ll last me. The PC will be used to gaming (primarily FPS games, however I do play RPG’s and also AAA’s) and everyday use (browsing/online shopping), including uni work and perhaps watching shows and movies. I study fashion, and although I’m in my last year – which will require me to do more written work than prac work – some illustrator/photoshop work will also be needed. It isn’t professional-type editing, however I am still looking for a monitor that is good for gaming AND also has nice image and colour quality.

I considered 1440p, however I want 144hz as well, and given that I’ll be running a GTX 1070, I believe it’s hard/not exactly possible to run all games at max resolution and frame rate – not just yet any way. Therefore, I’ve decided that 1080p is good for me, where the card should run everything max just fine. Moreover, I’ve decided that a 24″ is suffice for me, where I’ve also considered the PPI on a 24″ compared to a 27″, hence my decision.

I’ve looked at a few monitors, however there are so many to choose from and I’m not sure if I’ve overlooked some potentially decent monitors. I need your help and advice to choose the best 24″, 1080p, 144hz monitor. I also believe G-Sync will be worth the few dollars, however if you do not believe so, please feel free to include any monitor that does not have it.

Currently, I have looked at:
    Acer XB240H
    AOC G2460PG
    BenQ XL2420G
    I have also considered one without G-Sync, which seems to get recommended a lot – Asus VG248QE.

I am open to anything that is of high quality in the sense of gaming and perhaps just as important image and colour quality. I look forward and appreciate all opinions.

Thank you.

June 30, 2016 at 12:35 pm #39493

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi exertion,

I’ve merged your thread with this one as it’s an appropriate topic and I feel discussion of some G-SYNC models could add to it. I’m going to have to take this thread and my reply here in a slightly different direction, however. Of the G-SYNC models you list I only have experience with the G2460PG. And whilst my experiences with the unit I tested were largely positive and I’d happily recommend the monitor if they were all like that, it simply isn’t the case. Users have reported receiving units with gamma that is all over the place and as with most of these models they would really need proper calibration (including the use of an ICC profile possibly created using your own colorimeter) to make the most of them.

It’s worth noting that the XL2420G has actually been discontinued and the supplies currently trickling out are just leftover stock. It was/is an overpriced monitor because it contains two scalers – one for G-SYNC and one for the ‘normal’ operation of the monitor. Newer models support extra features and ports without having to completely bypass the G-SYNC board and using a complete set of alternative electronics, so don’t have that sort of price premium attached. The XB240HA has also been discontinuned and replaced by the XB241H. This model features ‘G-SYNC V2’ which allows it to feature HDMI and various additional OSD features without requiring the sort of ‘hybrid dual-scaler’ design of the XL2420G.

I also wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the 27″ WQHD models, because the Dell S2716DG could provide a far superior experience to the 24″ models you’re considering. The resolution provides superior clarity and detail levels when gaming and has great practicalities for work purposes as well. The pricing is extremely competitive in most regions (not sure about Australia) as well – the 24″ G-SYNC models are generally oddly expensive for 24″ Full HD TN monitors, whereas the S2716DG is surprisingly affordable for what it offers. If you’re worried about frame rates, you really shouldn’t be – that’s the whole point of G-SYNC. The GTX 1070, especially with a mild overclock, provides more than enough power for an enjoyable 2560 x 1440 gaming experience. And I should know as I just received one and use the S2716DG as my main gaming monitor.

If you’re purely interested in the highest possible frame rates when gaming and you’d be happy to reduce some settings in order to achieve this, perhaps you’d be better off considering a 24″ Full HD monitor without G-SYNC. The ViewSonic XG2401 is in all respects an excellent 24″ monitor which puts the usual 144Hz 24″ TN panel to excellent use, hence the recommendation. It might not be the cheapest, but it’s cheaper than any 24″ G-SYNC model and vastly superior to the VG248QE. People recommend the VG248QE because it’s an established model that’s cheap and fast. They don’t recommend it because it offers ‘best in class’ image performance or anything like that and in many cases they have nothing else to compare it to anyway.

June 30, 2016 at 1:13 pm #39494

exertion

Thanks for the detailed response!

I was indeed considering the AOC G2460PG, however I too have heard some bad things about it, and I’m also not a fan of the green stripe.

I have indeed considered 1440p, however I think that resolution may be too big for me, with too many things to look at, especially for FPS games. To be honest, I think I am satisfied with a 24″ 1080p for the moment, until technology advances even more in a few years time, and we will then be able to run 1440p at 144hz and at max settings! Plus, the Dell S2716DG is $1000, which is a bit too much for me, considering I’ve already gone over my budget for my PC…ooops!

I tried to search up the ViewSonic XG2401, however I can’t seem to find it in Australia?

I have also considered a monitor without G-Sync, however I have heard that it is worth it and I don’t mind spending a little bit extra for something that will provide the smoothest of game play. Additionally, this won’t be just a gaming computer, where I am also looking for a monitor that has quality image and colour.

Do you have any other recommendations that I can try look up to see if we have it here in Melbourne? I’m ‘just’ looking for the best possible 24″ 1080p 144hz G-Sync monitor I can get, hoping that it also comes with nice image and colour.

Is the BenQ XL2420G a good monitor though, putting aside the higher price tag? I have heard it’s a good gaming monitor, I am just curious about the overall image and colour quality for general use.

June 30, 2016 at 3:04 pm #39495

PCM2
    Keymaster

When you say ‘too many things to look at’, note that the FOV is exactly the same as on any other 16:9 monitor, because on modern game titles that is tied to aspect ratio and not resolution. So you won’t see any more objects or any more of the game world on the screen at once. What you will see is superior clarity, which is hardly a bad thing from a competitive point of view (enemies are easier to spot in the distance for example). And you will see more detail on various textures and special effects. If you are worried about things looking ‘too busy’ (fancy effects etc.), well that comes down to the game setting you’re using. And you could easily achieve the same sort of visual clutter on a Full HD monitor. Not the same clarity and textures and all the nice bits and bobs, but still have it looking like there is ‘too much going on’.

I was going to make some further points regarding performance at this resolution, but honestly if the S2716DG is going to cost you $1000 AUD then I’d stay clear of it. No point in really debating that any further as it is really too much of a premium to pay. As I mentioned above, I don’t have experience with the other models such as the XL2420G. But from the feedback I’ve received from users I don’t really feel that it is a particularly good monitor. It seems that the image quality (including gamma handling) is quite poor once you enable ‘G-SYNC’ (and hence it is in ‘G-SYNC mode), whereas it’s pretty decent in the normal mode. You’re likely going to be better off with one of the Acer models which people seem to get on with (again – no experience myself).

I certainly understand why you will have heard or read good things about G-SYNC. Heck, I’m clearly full of praise for variable refresh rate technologies like that myself and have now reviewed several models which use the technology (including the G2460PG and XG2401). It’s just that the choice of 24″ Full HD monitors with G-SYNC is a little underwhelming at the moment. Dell are actually going to be launching an S2417DG in the not too distant future and then there is the ASUS PG248Q and PG258Q coming along in a little bit as well. So it may be worth holding off a bit if you can.

If however you have already waited as long as you can, you should carefully consider whether G-SYNC is going to be worth it for you rather than getting sucked into the experiences of others. As I point out in reviews, sensitivity to tearing and stuttering varies. Do you currently game with VSync enabled? Do you notice tearing or stuttering at all when the frame rate departs from the refresh rate and wish that this didn’t happen? Then there is the fact that you will have an Nvidia GTX 1070 and implied that you didn’t like games to have ‘too much going on’. It sounds as if you would be more comfortable gaming at reasonable but not ‘max’ or ‘ultra’ detail settings, in which case you’ll be able to maintain 144fps quite consistently at Full HD in many game titles on your system. What I’m getting at here is that G-SYNC may sound like a nice thing, but is it really necessary for you?

June 30, 2016 at 4:20 pm #39497

exertion

Hmmm, you make a valid point about 1440p. However, I think they will still be out of my price range, as I believe they are pretty expensive.

For the XL2420G, when G-Sync is enabled, will that effect the image of games? I suppose you’d only be using G-Sync when playing games, whilst you’d use the normal mode for everything else. I have also looked at the Acer XB240H, which is also a 1080p, 144hz, G-Sync monitor, just slightly cheaper than the XL2420G, priced at $459 and $618 respectively. I’m just unsure about the image, colour and general quality of Acer monitors, but to be honest, computers aren’t really my forte, and I am still learning about everything as I pick the parts for my PC.

You have me questioning whether or not G-Sync is for me, however I think that if I can play a game as smooth as possible, it would be nothing but a positive. What monitors are said to be the best with and without G-Sync?

June 30, 2016 at 4:28 pm #39498

PCM2
    Keymaster

My recommendations for models without G-SYNC have been given previously on this thread. As I’ve said I can’t make recommendations for products I haven’t tested and have really said all I can about the models that you’re considering, which are the main 24″ models with G-SYNC.

And it’s only right that you’re questioning whether you need G-SYNC. And some accopanying questions there you have yet to answer. It is pointless restricting your choice to potentially inferior and more expensive products simply because they support the technology, if you actually have no real need for it. And yes, the XL2420G has poor image quality in G-SYNC mode – doesn’t matter what you’re doing, so it applies equally to gaming. I’m afraid when it comes to monitors there are always compromises to be made, but I don’t want to see you wasting your money on a technology you might not necessarily need.

June 30, 2016 at 4:57 pm #39499

exertion

You’re right. I think you’ve swayed me to perhaps get a monitor without G-Sync, meaning I can perhaps get a monitor with decent image and colour quality!

But now the question is, which? Hmmm…

June 30, 2016 at 5:20 pm #39502

PCM2
    Keymaster

It’s a shame that the ViewSonic XG2401 isn’t available for you locally, because it really is an excellent monitor. The LG 24GM77 is another model that I feel puts the panel to good use. The gamma handling and overall colour richness is as good as you’ll see from that panel and the pixel responsiveness is well-tuned. It’s a close second to the ViewSonic XG2401 in terms of its combination of responsiveness and image quality, but it has been discontinued in many regions so perhaps that would be off the table as well?

You’ll see that the BenQ XL2430T was recommended above and I’ve recommened the XL2411Z and XL2420Z elsewhere on the website as well. These are certainly feature-rich and highly responsive gaming monitors, but I feel that the image quality without intervention from an ICC profile (see XL2420Z review) is not what it could be. This is largely down to the fact that the gamma is too low (shades appear washed out, overall) even after you set things up as well as you can through the OSD (On Screen Display) of the monitor itself. Some people find this perfectly tolerable, but in my view the ViewSonic and LG models get things looking much nicer with just OSD tweaks.

June 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm #39503

exertion

Yeah, I can’t seem to find the two online 🙁

Oh and also the reason why I was considering G-Sync is because it is only about $100-$150 more than a monitor without, which I find is fair. Also, Toms hardware had a decent review for the XL2420G, but after considering what you’ve told me, I’m not so sure.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/benq-xl2420g-g-sync-monitor,4101-8.html

I’ve posted in a few forums regarding this topic, and it’s quite hard finding out which the best monitors are for some reason 🙁

June 30, 2016 at 6:07 pm #39504

PCM2
    Keymaster

You’ll find that with something as subjective as monitors, there is rarely a concensus on forums. Generally you’ll find people giving an opinion based on what they themselves own or have used. Whilst this is undoubtedly useful, you need to be aware of bias and that they may have limited experience with other models. This is where I try to distinguish myself as I am completely impartial and have a very broad experience base.

It is certainly a shame that those two non-G-SYNC models aren’t available for you. The Tom’s Hardware review is largely positive, but does hight an issue with gamma. And that’s an important negative given what you’re after. Another consideration would be to buy the most affordable 144Hz model you can find that is decent (preferably a flicker-free model, perhaps the BenQ XL2411Z) and buy a colorimeter with some of the money you’ve saved. I again have no idea what the gulf in price is between the cheapest 144Hz models and something like the XL2420G in Australia nor do I know how much a reasonable colorimeter like the Spyder5PRO would cost.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.