Is the Samsung Odyssey G95C a mini LED monitor?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Josepto

Hi, I’m checking all Samsung models in search of a 49″ UWDQHD non-OLED monitor (mixed use, working and gaming) and I found this exact model:

Samsung Odyssey G95C
      LS49CG954EUXEN

For 890€, but I cannot clarify if this one is a mini LED model or not, as the only official information I could find on Samsung’s website is:

Mini Led Local Dimming: N/A.
      Samsung Odyssey G95C

Could you please give me a hand?

Thank you.

PCM2

Hi Josepto,

If a Samsung monitor is Mini LED they’ll market it extremely clearly as ‘Quantum Matrix’, ‘Neo’ or use obvious language to suggest it’s Mini LED as they did with the Odyssey Neo G9 series for example. The G95C lacks such language and states “N/A” for Mini LED Local Dimming in the specs section – all of which confirms it’s lacking. It uses a edge-lit backlight with 10 dimming zones to provide VESA DisplayHDR 1000 compliance.

Josepto

Hi, thank you for your answer, actually I was hoping it to be mini led according to the peak brightness for Display HDR 1000 compliance, however I was clearly mistaken and now I can discard ML technology for this format as it’s extremely expensive for my pocket. Now, for non-OLED 49″ monitors, which one would you recommend?

Samsung Odyssey G95C
          ASUS ROG Strix XG49WCR
          Any other alternative you might think of

I know OLEDs are superior to any other technology, however I would like not to be checking my panel every week in search of burning signs as I work from home for nine hours a day five days a week.

Thank you.

PCM2

Although it’s not a Mini LED experience, I still feel the brightness and somewhat dynamic nature of the HDR experience on the Samsung Odyssey G95C sets it above other competing models. On the XG49WCR and various similar models HDR is so heavily compromised you’ll rarely if ever want to use it. On the Samsung it can give a nice bright experience which you’re likely to enjoy as long as you’re not expecting deep and inky dark shades at the same time. Though you can get a little bit of both at the same time, depending on the scene. I personally think it can still add some nice variety to gaming. I don’t really have a strong opinion on the other attributes of the monitor compared to the ASUS, but I suspect you’ll find HDR to be the main differentiator in practice.

Another option to consider that is on par with the Samsung (at least in terms of HDR performance) is the LG 49GR85DC-B, but I don’t have any specific feedback to share on it aside from it sharing the panel and capabilities of the Samsung. Just putting it out there in case you find the price and availability better for you.

Josepto

Alright, just checked the LG but it’s even more expensive than the two other alternatives and it seems not to offer superior specs to justify the price bump, correct me if I’m wrong.

For the other two, aside from HDR and KVM switch, is there an actual difference in performance?

Because at the end of the day we want to set an OD mode and forget about adjusting it depending on the VRR window, with the less overshoot and black smearing possible, this is, which seems to be better tuned?

Thank you.

PCM2

I haven’t used them myself. But based on what I can see from other testing and my experience with similar models, the Samsung seems to have a bit of an edge with its pixel overdrive tuning. I can’t really see what the LG would do to justify you paying extra for it.

Josepto

Great, thank you for your feedback, the Samsung is my first option now, however I’m watching your Philips Evnia review and it looks quite tempting… My head says VA, my hearts says OLED.

PCM2

It’s always a tough choice when it comes to a monitor for mixed purposes. I’ve had some similar discussions in this thread, so it might be worth taking a look at that for some added food for thought.

Josepto

Yeah, it’s a tough decision to make, even more as QD-OLED is superior to VA in virtually almost all aspects. Regarding burn-in, I’ve seen MSI is implementing window edge detection, taskbar detection and more stuff using AI (OLED Care 2.0) to dim these areas, did you have the chance to try it out?

PCM2

Yes, I’ve tried them out. Obviously I can’t speak for how much of difference they’ll make longer term, they should in theory help a bit. They won’t be a substitute for proper ‘OLED hygeine’ such as letting the screen run all the requested pixel refresh cycles and letting the screen switch itself off every now and then rather than using it for hours on end without a break.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.