Stuck between two choices: LG 32UQ85R and Dell G3223Q

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Taxez

Need help deciding between the two models please, I’ll be connecting it to my macbook mostly for work (ux/ui design, browsing etc) and multimedia. Maybe the occasional console gaming.

On the one hand the LG seems to be the better performing panel in terms of color accuracy and contrast, but Dell has superior HDR (Vesa 600 > Vesa 400) and a refresh rate of 144Hz which to me seems more future proof.

Anyone has any experience with these models to share?

PCM2

It’s something of an apples to oranges comparison really and it depends how sensitive you are, personally, to motion performance compared to other characteristics such as contrast. The G3223Q is undoubtedly the superior gaming monitor and is also more pleasant to interact with on the desktop. The refresh rate and pixel responses are vastly superior – the 32UQ85R is quite slow even for a 60Hz model. Though the ‘IPS Black’ panel has roughly double the contrast ratio. That doesn’t turn it into an OLED or VA panel and it doesn’t give an inky look to black or dark shades. but it still gives it a definite edge (lighting dependent).

I’ve received more feedback on the Dell than the LG and it has been largely positive. It’s worth looking through this thread. As you point out, it has better HDR support – but only because it’s brighter and it has rudimentary and badly tuned edge-lit local dimming. It’s definitely not a monitor that’s really going to wow you in terms of HDR nor one I’d buy for that. I still feel the SDR experience is quite good on it, but again it depends on your personal sensitivities and preferences.

Taxez

Thank you very much, apreciate the comment. You are right it is comparing apples to oranges.

I guess I’m trying to figure out who offers the better daily use experience (which you’ve hinted in your reply). UI work isn’t exactly graphic print so that LG’s color-critical panel to have an edge, neither is gaming a priority for Dell’s motion performance to matter that much.

Dell does seem to be much more popular given it’s target market.

I’m curious for video content if LG‘s color gamut and higher contrast is any way noticeably better?

I suppose a practical way to go about it is to see if I can have them side by side for comparison.

PCM2

Having a wider gamut would make video content appear more saturated than intended for SDR (where sRGB is the typical target). For HDR it will look ‘undynamic’ and washed out either way due to the lack of effective (or any) local dimming and reasonably high brightness output. At least compared to how you’d typically set the monitor up under SDR.

Yes the contrast is stronger on the LG, but not fantastic when compared to non-IPS. How it appears in that respect compared to the Dell will depend on lighting. In a bright room you’ll likely notice no difference, in a moderately bright room you probably will and if the room lighting is on the dim side you will but it will still look poor compared to a good VA panel or OLED. I’d recommend bias lighting behind the screen for both of these models (can be a good thing for perceived contrast for many monitors or simply viewing comfort even on OLEDs) if the room tends to be dimly lit otherwise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.