VA monitors currently/near future

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Leopardi

Although disappointed with the amount of IPS glow, I’ve been patiently riding a Viewsonic XG270QG in hopes for a proper OLED breakthrough.

But I still don’t have confidence for the burn-in aspect long term, especially after tests that have recently appeared on youtube.

So; how are the VA monitors looking in 2024 or 2025? Odyssey G7 was the promising monitor around 2019-2020, but I head it was let down with poor QC. Are there any other options that deliver “IPS like” motion performance with less glow?

PCM2

Hi again Leopardi,

I haven’t come across any VA models that can quite match the speed of the Odyssey G7 or which provide a motion performance I consider on-par with even a moderately fast IPS panel. The Odyssey Neo G7 (and to a greater degree G8) are pretty competent, but they too have their standout weaknesses for some transitions. Quite a few models are marketed as ‘Fast VA’ nowadays, but really they offer ‘reduced smeary trailing’ rather than an IPS-like experience. They tend to perform similarly to the likes of the AOC Q27G3XMN.

Leopardi

Thanks. So basically the monitor R&D has been focused outside of VA these years… I guess wait continues for another gen or two of OLED.

G-sync performance should also improve across the board in this time, with the recent news of MediaTek integrating the real G-sync in scalers.

PCM2

Yes, exactly! 🙂

qb74

The INNOCN 27G1S is the fastest flat VA I’ve seen in reviews, which sadly doesn’t exist anymore.
              I’d argue it beats most IPS easily, being very close to not being limited by G2G’s at all (only limited by persistence of refresh rate)
              Take a look at this review: https://youtu.be/FLS2KJUHNeo?si=xZZZ4FTizbVJk1Ii&t=320
              I hope someone replicates this experience with a QD backlight or WLED backlight, as this would be a great panel to implement some kind of backlight strobing on.

asiafan

Didn’t TCL CSOT made another variant of the VA panel called the HVA (aka Huaxing VA) panel, that is said to improve on the colors, contrast, and response time? How are they?

PCM2

Yeah, but that’s just wishful marketing. The panel used on the ViewSonic XG341C-2K and Philips Evnia 34M2C7600MV is a so-called ‘HVA’ panel and it’s extremely slow.

asiafan

Ah, I see. Well, I guess VA panels are either still need a lot of work to improve, or MiniLED/OLED is the way to go now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.