27″ 2K home office + light gaming

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    LJelly

Hello everyone,

I’m in the market for the 27″ QHD monitor for my home office.
      The budget is around 250€ but I can go to 300€ if I find a monitor that fits well my needs.

My main use is coding, MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), reading scientific articles, browsing the web. Recently I have starting wearing glasses for PC work so I would like to have a solution that’s not too heavy on the eyes.

I would also like the monitor also to be somewhat capable of running a few games so I don’t have to use my main PC which is connected to a 40″ TV. I am playing non competitive CS:GO, Assassin’s Creed, Hitman, Slay the Spire, and would like to try titles like Hades, RDR2, Subnautica, … I have a Lenovo laptop with integrated Intel Iris Xe graphics cards so this will be the main limitation at the moment. But I plan to upgrade in a couple of years so it would be nice to have a future proof monitor for a PC with a dedicated GPU.

I have been watching and reading reviews and I have read many threads on this forum, and my current selection is this:
      Asus PA278QV – 260€ in my country. Seems like a good middle ground and solid choice for my needs, but will be enough for upcoming titles considering it has 75 Hz? 3 years warranty.

– Acer Nitro XV272U V3bmiiprx – 250€. Seen good reviews on Youtube but I am sceptical about Acer quality inspection. 2 years warranty.

LG 27GR75Q-B – 250€. Also good reviews, kinda wasn’t in my narrow selection recently, got pushed out by Acer. 3 years warranty.

Gigabyte M27Q – 300€. This was my first choice but I got worried about BGR subpixel layout. I know it’s only a problem to some users but I don’t want to risk having blurry text since I just started wearing glasses and want to keep my eyes as healthy as I can. My local dealer says they sell the RGB Rev. 2.0 but their website has specs that belong to BGR Rev. 1.0. 3 years warranty.

LG 27GP850-B – 250€. Good deal, but maybe an overkill for my needs? Stand footprint seems large. 3 years warranty.

So, as you can see, four of them are gaming monitors. This was not my intention in the first place, I started looking at productivity monitors (mainly Dell), then the Asus PA278QV popped out, but then some of these gaming models seemed like good allrounders.

Any insight or other recommendation is welcome.

Have a nice day!

PCM2

Hi LJelly,

Most of those models are discussed in this thread, which I’m sure you’ve come across. So I don’t have much more to say about them individually. I assume the ViewSonic VX2728J-2K we currently recommend isn’t an option in your market? What about MSI models, some of which are covered in that thread? They tend to offer a solid performance and I’ve received similar positive feedback (so far) for their newer models such as the MAG 274QRF QD E2 and G272QPF E2.

Of the models you’ve listed I consider the Acer XV272U V3 to be probably the best performer, when accounting for everything including its responsiveness, contrast and subpixel structure. I feel the PA278QV‘s 75Hz refresh rate will become an annoying restriction once you upgrade to a superior GPU later on. And I don’t think it’s really fair to single out Acer for quality control issues, I’ve seen plenty of reports of such issues from the other manufacturers you’re considering and I don’t consider Acer anything other than average in that respect.

P.S. Common mistake and some manufacturers don’t help with their lazy marketing, but please avoid using the term ‘2K’ to describe the 2560 x 1440 (QHD or 1440p) resolution. It’s inaccurate and undersells the resolution. 🙂

LJelly

Hey PCM,

Thank you for the quick reply!
          Yeah, and I also made a mistake of putting UHD in text instead of QHD for the 2560×1440 resolution. 🙂 (mod edit: now corrected)

Unfortunately, the mentioned ViewSonic model is available only as a 1920×1080, not as 2560×1440.
          And the MSI models are not available also. I can order them from German Amazon but the price are well above 300€.

Seems like Acer Nitro XV272U V3 is the best choice, all things considered.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.