A thought experiment (smaller screen lower resolution, larger screen higher resolution but same PPI)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    TwoEyedJack

Two monitors one physically larger with a higher resolution and one smaller with lower resolution so that both have the same PPI, are placed on a table at a distance appropriate so that the FOV they occupy is the same (the larger screen would be further away, to an observer the screens would occupy the same area in his view, the image on the screens would look The same size).

How would the image quality compare?

PCM2

It depends on the exact distance and pixel density you’re talking about. The screens have the same pixel density, so the one that’s further away has the potential to appear ‘superior’ (all else being equal). But there’s a point at which you won’t be able to resolve the individual pixels or notice any drawbacks from the pixel density. If you have the closer screen at that point anyway then moving a screen with the same pixel density further back isn’t going to change anything.

TwoEyedJack

I guess what I am trying to ask is if higher resolution provides only more clarity/sharpness at a given screen size and distance. And whether you can achieve the same sharpness with a lower resolution or smaller screen size or longer distance or combination.

What I have in mind is something like a comparison between a 28ich 2k and a 21inch FHD monitor, both of them have the same PPI.
          I understand that if you place them at same distance you will get the same sharpness but one will be physically larger. So if I where to place it further back so that it appears the same size what would happen?
          Would it have an advantage in pixel per degree?
          Will it convey “more information” lessen the effects of aliasing?

For the numbers above
          Both screen have the same ppi 104.9
          At a distance of 85cm for the 2k monitor and 64cm for the 1080, both would span 40° of horizontal FOV but the 2k would have 64ppd in contrast to the 48ppd of the 1080p one. Both at 100% scaling.
          Shouldn’t both appear the same size to the observer? Shouldn’t the 2k one be sharper with less aliasing and generally crisper/higher image quality?

PCM2

Yes, if you place the larger higher resolution screen further back (because you can – and you want it to be perceived as the same size as the closer but smaller screen) then it will appear ‘crisper’. Assuming the smaller screen is placed close enough that you can resolve the individual pixels or can observe a sharpness improvement beyond what you see on that screen. This depends on your visual acuity as well as the distance – with additional factors such as screen surface and contrast playing a more minor role.

P.S. Don’t use the term ‘2K’ to describe the 2560 x 1440 (QHD or 1440p) resolution as it’s inaccurate and undersells the resolution. Nothing personal, I’ll point that out any time somebody uses the term on this forum.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.