Dell S2721DGF…Panel?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

Buying a monitor? Please refer to this post before purchasing.
New user? Register here.

• Author
    Hanon

Hello. Dell has just released a new monitor model. To be exact I’m talking about the S2721DGF. I’m just wondering if anyone in this forum knows for sure what panel the monitor mounts with actual proof. There are many people saying it uses the same Nano IPS as the 27gl850 BUT from what I’ve seen in the forums and in some pictures it could be either the new AUO M270DAN06.6 or M270DAN8.

In their product page now it says it has a “Fast IPS Nano Color”.

Hell… It’s getting more and more confusing.

I believe it’s an AUO panel due to how the backlight uniformity is shown, it looks to be different than in the LG monitor.

Will appreciate if anyone knows this. I’m currently using an Asus xg279q I bought in Amazon and it’s super fast, and the contrast is good as well, unlike the LG model. However, if I can get the dell at 380~EUR after discounts that’d be a steal.

PCM2

Hi Hanon,

Very good question. I agree Dell has muddied the water by adding ‘Nano Color’ to their marketing on some of their regional pages, but not all I might add. This could’ve just been a hangover from an old marketing document they used internally, before the exact panel and specifications were finalised. They still simply refer to it as ‘Fast IPS’ on others. This is specific nomenclature used by AU Optronics. The 98% DCI-P3 colour space certainly matches LG’s Nano IPS technology and their ‘KSF phosphors’, but it is also achievable by some of AUO’s panels with claimed 99% Adobe RGB coverage. The specified luminance for the S2721DGF is also above the 350 cd/m² delivered by the LG LM270WQA Nano IPS part. 400 cd/m² (with VESA DisplayHDR 400 capability) and 98% DCI-P3 can only be achieved by the AUO M270DAN08.2 AHVA panel, hence the mention in the news piece.

Hanon

Thank you for your reply. I checked the panel M270DAN08.2 in panelook.com but unfortunately there are no entries. I wonder if it’s too new? I’ll try to provide as much information as I can to see if we’re able to find out.

Some people have uploaded UFO videos of their Dell S2721DGF:

credit to _thetraveler_ reddit user:

https://streamable.com/zowt0z
          https://streamable.com/qmcmv3
          https://streamable.com/gsl60k

credit to youtube user “Reinulf”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76FsZ-ZyvEs
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNqjhenpAVA

Someone mentions these parts in a forums:

S2721DGF X87JR M3T101

They relate the X87JR part to the nano ips panel from LG. I’ve tried to find it myself but couldn’t find any reference. I hope this helps a bit.

PCM2

Some nice pursuit videos, thanks for sharing them. Whichever panel is used, it does appear in-line with the LG Nano IPS panels based on pixel responsiveness for the transitions shown. Indeed the M270DAN08.2 is too new and doesn’t appear on Panelook. Although it is listed on TFT Central’s panels database. The M3T101 refers to the firmware used, but I don’t see any relation to ‘X87JR’ and an LG Nano IPS panel or any related designation. For reference, this is the information you’d see on the panel label for the LG Display LM270WQA. It could of course be a different LG Nano IPS panel that isn’t currently known about, but I don’t see how ‘X87JR’ or similar lettering would fit in either way.

PCM2

Actually I think it could well be the LG Display LM270WQA-SSA2. 350 cd/m² is listed as the typical maximum luminance, but it seems it can be boosted a bit higher for HDR purposes and VESA DisplayHDR 400 level is the target. The 350 cd/m² is probably a low-ball estimate for the panel. The spec sheet on Panelook for that model isn’t complete as it’s too new, but it seems similar to the ‘SSA1’ we’ve seen in various models already with VESA DisplayHDR 400 capability on top. I’m wondering if contrast is slightly higher or if that’s similar to the ‘older’ panel. Dell can’t supply an S2721DGF for review just yet, but I’d certainly like to take a look at it at some point.

Another thing that makes me think it could be a Nano IPS panel are user reports that the glow appears quite different colours at the right vs. left of the screen. It’s normal for there to be some discrepancy here with a cooler tone towards the left and warmer tone towards the right, from a normal viewing position. But there has been specific reference to some ‘colorful’ (i.e. orange) glow towards the right side. That’s something I’ve observed on LG’s Nano IPS models and other recent wide gamut models using LG Display IPS panels, due to the phosphors used.

Hanon

You’re totally right. I thought so too after checking some pictures from the users. I was hoping it’d be an AUO panel, contrary to what people say, AUO panels are the best performing panels on the market for fast IPS monitors. They are capable of keeping up with insane transition speeds while keeping contrast pretty high. For example, my XG279Q has great blacks and it performs really well, and the backlight uniformity is good. Note that the glow effect of the matrix is also different to other panel brands, for example Innolux’s glow is different so is LG’s. I prefer AUO’s current glow in the current panel generation.

I posted this video on my channel showing how the panel performs at overdrive 2, which is the most balanced. ELMB is totally useless but when I bought the monitor I already would know the monitor performed so well I wouldn’t have to activate the specific feature. To me it’s more of a marketing strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osjyXnuo3Y8

Too bad it only has a bright pixel, but it’s really really small. I might end up contacting Amazon see If i can receive a small refund in order to keep the monitor.

If the Dell really uses the LG panel you probably should consider reviewing the Acer XB273UGS or the Asus. Acer uses the same panel. Monitor code is: um.hx0ee.s01. Nano IPS panels are getting boring, specially because most of them perform poorly when it comes to contrast and other features.

There are couple reviews online from prad.de and 4k-monitor.ru and both of them are really, really positive!

PCM2

ASUS are unfortunately extremely selective about the models they provide review samples of. I’ve asked for the XG279Q multiple times, but they just can’t provide it. The Acer could be a possibility, if they launch it properly in the US where most of our readers are based. One slight complaint I’ve seen about the XG279Q from some users is that the screen surface is slightly grainy. Of course not something everyone is sensitive to or cares about, plus for me personally the Innolux panels are a touch on the grainy side as well. But I was wondering how you’ve found the screen surface of your ASUS? It certainly seems sound as far as pixel responsiveness goes (at the correct ‘OD’ level) and it’s nice to have decent contrast for the panel type as well.

Hanon

Okay, I come from an Acer VG270UP, which has the Innolux panel. The Asus has a slightly more grainy coating compared to the Acer, but I actually prefer it as the image appears to be less “greasy”. There’s a little bit of sparkling in white background, but NOWHERE the Viotek GFT27DB / Acer XF272UP / HP X27i (TN) variant. I actually like it. The coating on the previous listed monitors was awful and extremely distracting. If there is anything else you’d like to ask about the monitor I’ll answer.

PCM2

That’s good! It sounds as if the surface texture isn’t all that smooth, which causes the graininess. But the screen surface is still ‘light’ and doesn’t have a ‘layered’ appearance. This is similar to what I’ve observed on various other WQHD and ‘4K’ AUO AHVA panels recently. I didn’t find the 144Hz+ Innolux panels too bad in terms of ‘layered’ appearance, but there was still certainly a 3D texture (for lack of better description) to the graininess that was there. Not as bad as many matte screen surfaces, but it didn’t have that ‘direct’ and close to the surface look to the image that some models provide.

vlad

“From reading online a few people think its an LG panel? Specifically LM270WQA-SSA2 if it means anything to anyone! (You can also get into the service panel by turning the monitor off, holding buttons 2 and 4, turning the monitor back on, releasing buttons 2 and 4.. then finally pressing button 5 for the curious).”

I quoted this post from overclockers.uk forum. It was written by the owner of this monitor.

PCM2

Thanks vlad. Although I suspect when that person mentioned reference to the “LM270WQA-SSA2” it’s because they’ve been observing this thread or our news piece which also mentions this now. As that’s the only place this will have been mentioned (by me), as far as I’m aware.

PCM2

The Acer XB273U GS is looking a definite possibility to review in the not too distant future. One of my Acer contacts confirmed it’s due for global release (including US) during August and September and that will include the usual retailers. That’s not to say we won’t look at the S2721DGF as well at some point, if a sample can be provided.

Hanon

That’s good. Would definitely be a great review potential as there are very few reviews of new monitors with the latest generation of AU Optronics panels, plus everyone seems to be focusing on the new releases by Samsung / LG. Acer has just launched a new model, called VG272UV (um.hv2ee.s01) which basically (supposedly) has the same panel than both XB273UGS / XG279Q. The Asus has a much, much better build quality than both Acer counterparts. The VG272UV has the same plasticky frame build than the XB273UGS, but the last one includes a good looking stand and a few more features. As per the M270DAN08.2, the Msi PAG272QR2 might be the first monitor to include the panel, if the Dell finally uses the LG matrix.

There is a Youtube review, she mentions good contrasts as well at 5:50 timer. LG panels seem to do much lower contrast (Some HP 27i’s have measured a contrast of around 650:1, which is terrible). If you want to take a look, there’s the link to the review.

Unfortunately, according to the chinese website, the monitor seems to only be able to produce 300 nits of brightness which isn’t great, and that’s strange.
                              We’ll see how it goes really.

PCM2

Just a small comment, I don’t really agree that the build of the XG279Q is substantially better than the XB273U GS. Based on my experience with models from both manufacturers with very similar designs. The ASUS is largely chunky plastic, with powder-coated metal legs for the stand base. The Acer also has a powder-coated metal stand base. I’ve found the overall build quality and ‘solid feel’ of Acer Predator models to be largely comparable to equivalent ROG products in the past. Although it’s not much of a concern or focus for me as a reviewer, both models just sit on the desk and are untouched most of the time so it’s more image characteristics that are of concern. The ASUS models do have a thicker/chunkier and more substantial stand neck element I suppose. But I mainly like the powder-coated metal stand base elements, which applies to both models. The VG (‘Value Gaming’) models of Acer are not comparable, they are usually a fairly lightweight plastic throughout and are designed to be as cheap as possible. And that is reflected in their construction and the material choices.

Hanon

I wanted to update this thread with what i found in my monitor. I was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider earlier with HDR enabled and while in game I noticed that the the backlight was dimming in specific spots, so I ran the local dimming test and found that this model apparently has some sort of edge lit local dimming feature optimized by Asus. Yes, this is an Vesa certified HDR 400 monitor, which is the most basic tier and almost laughable, but i had NO idea and I didn’t see it in any post or review that the monitor had this feature. Let’s be honest, I am quite impressed with how it performs for a basic tier HDR certification. The zones seem to sync pretty well with the content you’re watching, specifically if it’s content designed in HDR. I have uploaded a small video I took if you wanted to take a look by yourself. It’s quite interesting and it’s always a welcome feature.

Local dimming test.

PCM2

That’s a neat little find, thanks for sharing! VESA DisplayHDR 400 doesn’t mandate local dimming, but it doesn’t always mean it isn’t used. As in this case. Nice to see the XG279Q offers some degree of local dimming. Our news piece does actually mention that it’s likely local dimming is used, with 8 dimming zones. I’ll update it with your post that confirms that local dimming is used.

PCM2

Our loyal fan ‘gouki201’ has pointed out that a user did a tear-down of the Dell S2721DGF on a Chinese forum recently and confirms that the panel used is indeed the LG Display LM270WQA-SSA2.

Dell S2721DGF panel

Further, he confirmed with some Gigabyte Asia officials that the new or soon to be released Gigabyte G27Q uses an AUO AHVA panel.

Hanon

Great find. Looks like our suspicions were right. I’m glad I didn’t pick it up. I’m not saying I don’t like those 98% DCI-P3 panels from LG but to me, the image saturation is too much and when combining that with extremly poor contrast, the overall image ends up being a mess. By the way, waiting impatiently for your new Acer review that you’re working on!

LionAlonso

Hi!

I have recently bought the Dell 27: S2721DGF, if I’m not confused its very similar to the LG 27GL850.

I’m gonna receive it like in 1 month.

What are your thoughts on this monitor? Are you planning for a review?

And coming from a 24″ 1080p TN 144Hz monitor, what do you think that will be the main differences that i will notice?
                                          I mainly use the monitor for gaming (Cod Warzone, LOL) at high refresh rates, hope responsiveness is gonna be good…
                                          Thanks in advance for everything, Im new to this web but I have found it really awesome!

PCM2

I’ve moved your reply over to this as it addresses your questions and is an appropriate place. So yes, the Dell S2721DGF is similar to the LG 27GL850 and yes we may review it at some point. But we’ve got a large list of monitors to review and are not going to be looking at models like this that you can’t buy in ways that support our website. Your views on the monitor when you receive it would be very much welcome on this thread! 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.