BenQ XL2411T (£215) vs BenQ XL2420T (£280) – What's the difference???

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   BenQ XL2411T (£215) vs BenQ XL2420T (£280) – What's the difference???

This topic contains 162 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  PCM2 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)
  • Author

euphoria4949
    Participant

Hi guys,

My question is, can anyone please tell me the differences between the BenQ XL2411T and the BenQ XL2420T, there’s a near £70 price difference between them but the spec looks identical! I can’t find any clear cut comparisons between them, just individual reviews which again, to me, just make them sound the same, but there must be something to warrant the big price difference…. surely?!?

Thanks very much.

December 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm #20317

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi euphoria4949 and welcome to the forums!

That’s a good question actually and it isn’t something that BenQ makes clear. We have reviewed both the 20T and 11T which allowed us to get a feel for the differences between both the models. This thread will be a great place to draw together the differences.

There are some aesthetic differences which I think can be seen easily enough from pictures and probably don’t need to be described. Some poeple prefer the red accents of the 20T whereas others prefer the simple style and slightly thinner bezels of the 11T.

There are some differences in functionality in that only the XL2420T has the ‘S-Switch’ which makes using the OSD or switching between 3 different ‘custom’ presets very easy. It also has touch sensitive buttons which work quite nicely and are arranged a bit more logically than the pressable buttons on the 11T. Once you’ve set everything up though you don’t necessarily need to worry about the OSD too much.

The XL2420T has a broader selection of ports than the XL2411T. It features a DisplayPort input alongside DVI, VGA, 2 HDMI ports and 3 USB 2.0 ports. The XL2411T on the other hand features a single HDMI port, DVI and VGA. For most users they will just want to connect a PC using DVI and that will handle the monitor very well and isn’t a problem. Some users may find the additional ports helpful, particularly the DisplayPort if they are planning to use an unusual GPU (or gaming laptop perhaps) without DVI.

When it comes to the actual image performance the monitors are quite similar. The 11T seems to have been tweaked a bit, at least compared to the revision of the 20T we reviewed, but is essentially quite comparable when running the same settings. It seemed to give some slightly richer colours when running under ‘Standard mode’ and selecting ‘Gamma 4′ without crushing shades or making colours far too deep as the 20T did.

The monitors are both very responsive but the 11T has a bit of an edge in that department. It actually runs at 144Hz natively, giving a slight edge in fluidity. It also offers ‘High’ and ‘Premium’ AMA (Advanced Motion Acceleration) modes rather than just ‘On’. The ‘High’ setting offers a more comfortable balance than the overly aggressive acceleration on the 20T and less conspicuous overdrive artifacts are produced as a result. Most users don’t seem to mind about these on the 20T anyway, but some do.

Those are really the key differences between the two monitors. It is really the S-Switch, extra ports and touch sensitive controls that add a bit of cost to the 20T (or at least are selling points that would allow BenQ to charge a premium). The 11T is newer though and has been tweaked a bit, particularly with its more flexible grey to grey acceleration options.

Hope this helps.

Edit: XL2420T Revision 2 (European equivalent of the XL2420TE) also offers a 144Hz refresh rate and similar response settings to the XL2411T.

December 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm #20318

euphoria4949
    Participant

PCM2, I apologise, but I could kiss you right now. Thank you, thank you so much, I’ve been looking for a definitive answer to this for days. There are many posts on dozens of forums with people asking the same question but with either no replies, or useless replies like “More money means it’s betterer”.

I think based on this and the reviews on this site I’ll opt for the XL2411T, the 144hz is too good to pass up on, and especially as the graphics card I’ve ordered is apparently capable of 200+fps in games such Black Ops 2. Plus of course there is the price difference, £70 is not to be sniffed at and as I’m close to £500 over my original budget and on the verge of being castrated by a woman sitting close to me, I think I’d better start cutting a pennies here and there! =)

Thank you again for your help and info, I really appreciate it.

Regards

December 27, 2012 at 8:51 pm #20319

PCM2
    Keymaster

Don’t feel you have to ;). It’s good to hear you finally got the information you needed. Feel free to send any friends or relatives over if they ever find themselves looking for a new monitor.

And it sounds like a good plan settling for the more affordable option, especially if it will avoid castration! You should definitely be able to make good use of that 144Hz refresh rate by the sounds of things.

January 8, 2013 at 3:01 pm #20486

euphoria4949
    Participant

Hello again,

I’ve been away for a week but I am now ready to buy my lovely new monitor. PROBLEM! When I called the company to check their stock of the XL2411T they informed me that if I was only playing in 2D the monitor would only refresh at 60hz! And that the 120hz (144hz) is only avaliable in 3D mode, as when in 3D mode in puts 2 side by side 60hz images on screen making it 120hz! :-
    Sorry, I did so much reading up on new GPU’s, CPU’s and monitors over the past month my head is in a bit of a pickle, did I completely miss that in the review, do the BenQ’s 2411 and 2420 only allow 60hz in 2D, do you HAVE to be playing in 3D to get 120hz???
    Confused again sorry =(
    Thanks again

January 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm #20494

PCM2
    Keymaster

Good to hear from you again.

Don’t worry, the monitor will run absolutely fine at 120Hz or 144Hz in standard 2D. Actually it is primarily marketed towards gamers who want to do exactly that – 3D is just an extra feature. In neither of our reviews did we even test the 3D capabilities and in fact we were using an AMD GPU which wouldn’t even work with this monitor’s 3D.

It sounds like the company may have been a little confused (understandable – monitors are confusing!) The only thing that would cause the monitor to be locked at 60Hz is if you are using HDMI or are connecting using a single-link DVI cable or to a single link port on your GPU. The sorts of GPUs you’re looking at will offer you DisplayPort and proper dual-link DVI ports so you won’t have any problems running 120Hz/144Hz 2D on the BenQs :).

January 8, 2013 at 7:00 pm #20499

euphoria4949
    Participant

Yet again, thank you =) That’s what I thought but I tried to argue my side saying, “I think you have the wrong info or misunderstood it” but he was absolutely adamant that he worked for a big computer site and he dealt with these on a daily basis so he knew best! Which made me doubt everything I’d read and heard :- Oh well, hopefully when I place my order I’ll get him again and I’ll put him straight this time =)

Thank you, “again”, you really have helped me out with this. Oh and as I’d asked the same question on a few forums, after you had helped me I did post a link on them and my Twitter as well to say “Here I finally found the answer”.

Thanks again,Kind regards

January 8, 2013 at 11:55 pm #20502

PCM2
    Keymaster

Always happy to help and thanks for helping to spread the word on other forums and Twitter! :)

January 9, 2013 at 11:36 am #20505

euphoria4949
    Participant

Just a quick update as I thought it was quite funny. I called the store this morning to order my monitor, the XL2411T model, I spoke to a different CS person, but this person told exactly the same thing as the guy yesterday, that it only runs at 120hz when in 3D, and that when it is being used in 2D mode it only runs at 60hz! So this time I didn’t back down and told him “No, it does run at 120hz when in 2D!” Well we discussed this for 10mins or so at which time he said “ok fair enough, maybe I have the wrong info” So, it’s all good….. Right! Wrong, they’ve sold out and won’t have any for weeks and I need it within the next week as I’m moving home and every other site I’ve tried……. all sold out lol! I was raging, but I can sort of see a funny side now, kind of :-/ So that guy yesterday cost me my new monitor =’(

Oh well I’ll get one in the end I suppose, just thought I would tell you as I thought it was, well…… Just my flipping luck!

Thanks again

January 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm #20506

PCM2
    Keymaster

Well that does sound frustrating to say the least! At least you can see the funny side though – a good way of coping with it.

January 20, 2013 at 8:49 pm #20660

ErikdieLegende
    Participant

Hey guys. I’m new here and I have a question. I’m going to buy this awesome monitor (from my perspective) and I’m going to have  a reference evga gtx 670 GPU that’s going to drive it. Am I going to “feel” the 120hz refresh rate even when playing at 100fps? Because Battlefield 3 is a very constraining game. I dont think I’m going to play at decent details if I want to get 144hz. I heard that my gpu can get 144fps in BF3 but that means turning almost everything to medium-low.

January 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm #20662

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi ErikdieLegende and welcome!

Great question and I am able to give you the short answer, which you want to hear; yes.

For the smoothest possible experience, yes you would want to be getting 144fps (that sort of goes without saying). This would give you 144 discrete frames of information every second, massively reducing trailing and making everything feel super-responsive on the BenQ.

But the good news is that monitor will always be refreshing at 144Hz regardless of frame rate and you will benefit from this in how frequently the scene will appear to ‘update’ in relation to your mouse movement and other controller input. I certainly know just how demanding BF3 can be as I use a single overclocked Radeon 7950 as my main GPU and wouldn’t expect anything like 144fps with decent settings in the big open environments. Even at 100fps you feel really ‘connected’ to the game in a way that you just don’t get on a 60Hz monitor and you benefit from significantly reduced trailing as well.

February 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm #21244

dribbler
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your post PCM2, it makes things clear as im choosing between those two models. Just curious about one thing- both 2411t and 2420t have some sort of advanced scaling and wide choice aspect ratios but it is known that usually monitor in-built scallers can add a massive extra input lag.  It is claimed by Benq that in their gaming serie scaling is lag free, but no chance to confirm that as input lag is tested using monitor’s native resolution in reviews.. So maybe you can spread a word on that? Would be really appreciated.

February 26, 2013 at 1:48 pm #21246

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi Dribbler,

Usually significant input lag penalties apply to scaling on 2560 x 1440 monitors where they are fed a lower resolution signal and need to upscale it to fit their native resolution. The level of processing required for this is significant. On many models this scaler chip can’t by bypassed, either, which contributes typically to such models having a frame or more of input lag (16ms+)

The BenQ’s ‘Smart Scaling’ features are a bit more simplistic. It essentially compresses the image into a smaller space (to simulate a given screen size and aspect ratio) which isn’t such an intensive scaling process as upscaling. I did test these modes and can say for certain that no significant input lag is induced. I couldn’t promise that the monitor remains in its native extremely low input lag state when using these features, though.

February 27, 2013 at 1:26 pm #21252

dribbler
    Participant

Thanks for the reply it explains much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.