BenQ BL2411PT (and other 24" 16:10 options)

Discussion Forum   Forums   Display discussion   BenQ BL2411PT (and other 24" 16:10 options)

This topic contains 80 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  inverseSquare 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)
  • Author

inverseSquare
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been on the lookout for a new monitor for a couple months now. I’ve looked at the Dell U2412, Asus PA248Q (which I really liked the look of, just not the PWM backlight & coating) and also the BenQ BL2411PT.

I basically put the search on hold until I could find out more about the BL2411PT. It doesn’t have many reviews and I couldn’t find it in many common retailers – though yesterday I spotted it for sale from Amazon themselves.

So I was wondering if anyone has bought a BenQ BL2411PT and I if they had any impressions?

I’m looking for a 1600×1200 monitor for photo editing, general web work (and a bit of gaming :))

Thanks everyone!

September 16, 2013 at 8:31 am #24391

PCM2
    Keymaster

Hi inverseSquare and welcome,

The BL2411PT is a very fine monitor. You’re in luck because we are going to be publishing a review either tomorrow or Wednesday. If you can wait that long great, if not I doubt you will be disappointed given your uses. I know there is limited stock available on Amazon currently. Could I also quickly draw your attention to this thread in advance. :)

September 16, 2013 at 8:27 pm #24398

inverseSquare
    Participant

Thanks,

I’ve put off buying for a while now so a few more days won’t hurt :)

I’m interested to know how it fares in comparison to the options from Dell, Asus, etc. Seems like that Dell U2412 (soon to be replaced?) has been an often-suggested option for a while now.

Tbh, I’d like the option of HDMI & 1:1 mode for console use (that the Asus PA248Q has) but I’m struggling to find a monitor with every feature :)

Thanks for your help.

September 17, 2013 at 5:12 pm #24439

PCM2
    Keymaster

The review is up. Enjoy :).

October 3, 2013 at 11:48 pm #24648

inverseSquare
    Participant

Many thanks for the review! Does look pretty good.

Out of interest, what would happen with a 16:9 video signal from a games console (converted to a DVI connector of course) on a 16:10 screen like this? Would it stretch the picture or just not display at all?

Thanks.

October 4, 2013 at 8:40 am #24649

PCM2
    Keymaster

In the OSD there are two modes. ‘Full’ will fill the screen with the monitor using interpolation to ‘stretch’ the picture somewhat vertically. ‘Aspect’ is supposed to maintain the signal aspect ratio (16:9) and should display black bars at the bottom and top along with an undistorted image. That is the theory, at least. I haven’t tested this myself.

October 11, 2013 at 12:35 am #24716

inverseSquare
    Participant

Does anyone know anything about the new Asus VS24AHL?

Looks like a good rival for the Dell U2412 and BenQ BL2411PT (apparently it has a 16:9 mode too so console gaming / dvd players should work fine)

Can’t figure out if it used PWM back-lighting though, does anyone know?

Thanks.

October 11, 2013 at 8:01 am #24718

PCM2
    Keymaster

Very little is known about it. ASUS just quietly slipped it onto their website several weeks back and I don’t know of any proper testing that has been carried out. Given ASUS PR team in the UK we won’t be testing it out either. I can’t see it being any better than BenQ’s offering but hopefully it is on par. The BenQ also offers a 16:9 mode.

October 12, 2013 at 9:00 pm #25592

inverseSquare
    Participant

Thanks. A similar price to the BenQ too.

Can’t find out if the ‘Aspect’ mode on the BenQ BL2411PT works on all the digital inputs?

In some of the OSD screenshots it looks like the option is greyed-out?

(& 1m34s of your OSD video)

I would imagine the best way to connect a DVD player / games console would be a HDMI-to-displayport cable, so I’m hoping that the HDCP would work via that route too?

Thanks for your help as always :)

October 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm #25594

PCM2
    Keymaster

As I understand it the aspect mode option is only available when the source/signal resolution is different to the native resolution of the monitor. The OSD screenshots and our video were taken with the monitor at its native resolution which is why the options were greyed out.

You have to be careful with some converter cables. The adaptors are actually DisplayPort to HDMI and they don’t work the other way around. DVI to HDMI adaptors work either way and would support HDCP but I’m not sure how you’d handle sound from a console/DVD player. You wouldn’t be able to route it through the display cable as the DVI port on the monitor won’t have audio channeling.

October 13, 2013 at 9:40 pm #25629

inverseSquare
    Participant

I’d foolishly presumed that HDMI to Displayport (carrying HDCP) would be a formality, indeed it looks like it’s not easy at all.

For the PS3 console, I’ve found that you can set the audio to composite (the red & white cables) while still pushing the video out the HDMI port. So that’s a partial solution I guess :)

Only other thing i’d need then is a DVI switch to keep the monitor & console plugged in…

(This would be so much easier if BenQ had just added an HDMI port, I’m totally ok with jacking the price by £10-20)

October 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm #25692

inverseSquare
    Participant

So I got a BL2411PT – I can’t get it to show a 16:9 feed without image stretching (at least via DVI), the ‘aspect’ display mode is always greyed out.

The monitor recognises the 1920×1080 input but still doesn’t allow the selection of the aspect mode, so I’m not sure under which situations it becomes available.

October 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm #25693

PCM2
    Keymaster

What GPU are you using? You might have to go into your CCC/Nvidia CP and make sure that GPU scaling is not being used.

October 16, 2013 at 6:57 pm #25696

inverseSquare
    Participant

This was from a console using a HDMI->DVI cable, the OSD reported the 1920×1080 input via the DVI port but the ‘Aspect’ Display Mode remains greyed out (and the displayed image is stretched vertically)

It looks ok connected to a pc, 1920×1200 displays fine.

October 16, 2013 at 7:10 pm #25697

PCM2
    Keymaster

Ah yes of course you were using a console, had a bit of a brain freeze there. Because I didn’t test the ‘Aspect’ mode specifically I’m not sure exactly what else you would have to do to activate it. BenQ’s manual isn’t really very helpful in that regard. Perhaps it would be worth popping their tech support an email (their replies are usually quick and they are usually quite helpful) as they might have more technical knowledge about what that mode does and doesn’t do or whether there is something else you need to do to activate it with a console.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.